Water Taxi's With Kids...Are They Safe?

tropiclvrs

We're leaving next Sunday for the Mexican Riviera. I've read quite a bit about the water taxi's in Cabo and thoruhgt hat might be a good option to see "Los Arcos" and to get to a beach for the day. However, it occurred to me that it's likely they won't have life jackets and was wondering how safe they would be.

Has anyone used these water taxi's in Mexico with kids? Would you consider them safe for a 2 and 4 year old to be on?

I posted this a while back in the Mexican Riviera board but no one really commented on the safety of the taxi's.

Any input/experience you have would be great!

Thanks!

There will be lifejackets on the boat--it's a law, but you don't actually WEAR them...they're there in case of emergency. Your kids will be fine. If the water taxis routinely sank, they'd be out of business!

If you're still worried, put whatever "floaties" your kids will wear at the beach on them for the ride over!

The concern isn't if the water taxi is going to sink - it's going over a sharp wave hard enough to knock someone down and over into extremely dark and deep water. The currents and waves in the Los Arcos area are usually veryrough. I would not do this with small kids without bringing my own life jackets for them to wear - even if they can swim. With life jackets on - I'd have no problem taking the water taxi (and I'm sure you know they drop you in the water and you wade to the shore).

I've had a great time with my toddlers on many Mex. Riviera cruises - you'll have a ball.

Best,

Mia

Los Arcos is very close to the tender pier, but even an adult with strong swimming skills would have trouble if they were in the water when the waves are choppy, which is often. I'd have no problem taking my kids as long as I had one adult per kid and they were wearing life jackets. I just wouldn't do Lover's Beach with kids because there are no amenities, and I like to have restrooms and umbrellas, but many other parents have done it and enjoyed it.

I did a beach excursion once in Cabo and it was a disappointment - ok beach (just a small section of sand roped off), long walk on a hill from where the bus dropped us. I wouldn't do it again, but the one offered on your ship may be different. If you do a search of "Cabo" on these family boards, you'll find some options that have made some other families happy - mostly resorts they did on their own.

When my twins were 2, we did the brief ship excursion boat to Los Arcos, that had an inside area as well as outside, so I felt safe with my girls, and we got to see the Sea Lions, etc.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Archived