How is Cabo's beach club - Medano Beach?

jasak

We're going on Carnival Splendor in July. We're a family of 4; myself, DH

and our 2dd's- 9 & 14 yrs. We're thinking of going on the shore excursion that Carnival has. Anyone been to the "Cabo's newest, luxury beach club

and resort - Medano Beach"? There's a pool, hot tub and wading pool for kids.

How would this compare to the "Land's End Boar, Beach and Shopping" tour? There's a 45 min ride to Lands' End and then to the beach club with

light mexican lunch and shopping (50 min).

Thanks in advance.

I didn't know they have a pool? I think they probably use one of the resort pools, maybe the ME? This is a beach bar that used to be called Los Palmas, just recently remodeled and changed their name. I will be in Cabo for 10 days starting Wednesday and will check it out!:)

The Carnival website, excursion to the Medano beach club had stated

there's a swimming pool....I've also checked Johann & Sandra's "Deluxe

Beach Break" which essentially sounds similar to the Carnival excursion to the same place.. I wonder if Carnival has access to one of the hotels there?

Yes, could you please post here after your Cabo trip and let us know if there's a swimming pool?

This particular excursion sounds like fun for our family..

Thanks so much.

I didn't know they have a pool? I think they probably use one of the resort pools, maybe the ME? This is a beach bar that used to be called Los Palmas, just recently remodeled and changed their name. I will be in Cabo for 10 days starting Wednesday and will check it out!:)

It sounds like ME to me..........

That tour goes to a private resort located on a stretch of beach area known as Medano Beach. No, the resort is not the ME/Melia/Los Palmas. The resort used for the tour does not have day passes and will not let in the general public. And yes, it has a couple of huge pools. Let me see if I have a photo...

1991283350_poolwitharch.jpg.95374f77f321cb33475aa1dbbd99260e.jpg

That tour goes to a private resort located on a stretch of beach area known as Medano Beach. No, the resort is not the ME/Melia/Los Palmas. The resort used for the tour does not have day passes and will not let in the general public. And yes, it has a couple of huge pools. Let me see if I have a photo...

I know you said it was private......but do you know the name of it?

Also I know there are a few resorts down on Medano beach right on the beach.......would you recommend any of those for a land vacation......I'm thinking they might be timeshares but not sure........

Cute car by the way!

I was asked not to post the name of the resort because the resort owners do not want the general public so I must abide by their request.

There are some timeshare and some regular hotels. My suggestion for one depends so much on what your personal criteria are in a hotel/resort...price, what you want to do on the property (spa, restaurant on site, activities/games poolside), if you want to get in the ocean/bay, distance from town, if you like lots of people around, if you plan on renting a car, etc. Can you narrow it down for me? Be glad to help if I can. Or what I did when I was searching for a place to stay up by Todos Santos for a long weekend, was get on the internet, read, and start eliminating. Made my list alot shorter to choice from!

Cute car by the way!

I was asked not to post the name of the resort because the resort owners do not want the general public so I must abide by their request.

There are some timeshare and some regular hotels. My suggestion for one depends so much on what your personal criteria are in a hotel/resort...price, what you want to do on the property (spa, restaurant on site, activities/games poolside), if you want to get in the ocean/bay, distance from town, if you like lots of people around, if you plan on renting a car, etc. Can you narrow it down for me? Be glad to help if I can. Or what I did when I was searching for a place to stay up by Todos Santos for a long weekend, was get on the internet, read, and start eliminating. Made my list alot shorter to choice from!

I was interested in the ones on the other end of Medano beach.....walking distance........I know most all the nice resorts are in Jose del cabo but I don't want to be that far from town........

Last time we were at Medano beach we were going to walk down and check them out but we got side tracked......I know it is not a short walk but better then a 20 minute taxi ride into town....

If you know the name of those hotels I would appreciate it.....we are cruising back down in August and hopefully check them out this time......

Thanks!

I was interested in the ones on the other end of Medano beach.....walking distance........I know most all the nice resorts are in Jose del cabo but I don't want to be that far from town........

Last time we were at Medano beach we were going to walk down and check them out but we got side tracked......I know it is not a short walk but better then a 20 minute taxi ride into town....

If you know the name of those hotels I would appreciate it.....we are cruising back down in August and hopefully check them out this time......

Thanks!

I have to say that your particular statement could not be further from the truth. Here is a link to the top rated resorts in the Cabo San Lucas area.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g152515-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California-Hotels.html

Here is one for San Jose del Cabo

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g152516-San_Jose_Del_Cabo_Los_Cabos_Baja_California-Hotels.html

Unless you really want to spend $700- $800 a night at One & Only or Las Ventanas, you can do just as good for much less money at other places.

If you want "walking distance to town" then look at Pueblo Bonito Blanco, Pueblo Bonito Rose, or Casa Dorada on Medano Beach. A little further away but still walkable are Villa del Arco, Villa La Estancia, and Villa del Palmar.

On Solmar Beach (pacific ocean side - no ocean swimming) but still walkable to town, look at; Playa Grande, or Finisterra.

$10 cab ride to town (or free hourly shuttle to PB Rose & then 10 min walk to town) and you can look at the spectacular Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach or the PB Holistic Spa & Retreat (pacific ocean side - no ocean swimming). Even more spectacular would be to rent at the Montecristo Estates (part of Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach). These are houses (each with their own infinity edge swimming pool) that are sold as fractional's.

All timeshare resorts have excess capacity that they rent out. An even better option is to rent an owners week on sites like redweek.com or tug2.net - there are many advantages to renting an owners week.

This map will give you a bird's eye view of all the resorts. Hover, drag, zoom to your hearts content all over the Los Cabos area

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8833515&lon=-109.9025059&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2

.html

If you want "walking distance to town" then look at Pueblo Bonito Blanco, Pueblo Bonito Rose, or Casa Dorada on Medano Beach. A little further away but still walkable are Villa del Arco, Villa La Estancia, and Villa del Palmar.

Thank you for the great info!! These are what we had in mind, I just needed the names to get me started........

The timeshares sound great too........

Thanks again!!!

SDPadre gave you a good list. Another option to think about would be the Rui and Rui Palace which are just a tad bit further down from the Villa group. It isn't an easy walking distance since you would have to walk along side the 4way highway that connects Cabo to San Jose. But you can travel easy by public bus! The cost is 8 pesos each way or about 50cents US. The buses start running at 5:30am and stop around 11pm. Now, these are nothing fancy to say the least but they are safe, reliable and an economical way to get around. I used the buses here and went everywhere I ever needed to go including Costco before I finally bought a car.

The Carnival website, excursion to the Medano beach club had stated

there's a swimming pool....I've also checked Johann & Sandra's "Deluxe

Beach Break" which essentially sounds similar to the Carnival excursion to the same place.. I wonder if Carnival has access to one of the hotels there?

Yes, could you please post here after your Cabo trip and let us know if there's a swimming pool?

This particular excursion sounds like fun for our family..

Thanks so much.

I emailed JOhann & Sandra on their "Medano Beach Break" and they said there was NOT a pool at this location. We are crusing on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas and there doesn't seem to be an excursion to a Medano beach club location. Anyone know??

SDPadre gave you a good list. Another option to think about would be the Rui and Rui Palace which are just a tad bit further down from the Villa group. It isn't an easy walking distance since you would have to walk along side the 4way highway that connects Cabo to San Jose. But you can travel easy by public bus! The cost is 8 pesos each way or about 50cents US. The buses start running at 5:30am and stop around 11pm. Now, these are nothing fancy to say the least but they are safe, reliable and an economical way to get around. I used the buses here and went everywhere I ever needed to go including Costco before I finally bought a car.

Thanks Caro I will check this out also:)

The place RCCL uses is Nikki Beach which is a beach club at a hotel (ME Cabo - which was the ME Melia before) on Medeno Beach for their tour Resort Beach Getaway. The general public can use the facilities at Nikki Beach (chairs, umbrellas, etc.) if they purchase food/drink - kinda like a pay as you go day pass. They do have a small pool. I see on the RCCL website that guests must be 18yrs old to do this tour.

The resort Carnival uses is NOT Nikki Beach...Carnival uses a private resort with no general public allowed. There are a couple of large pools and a spa as well. And there is a special child rate as well as infants are free on Carnival's Exclusive Beach Resort tour. I was informed also that guests who want to spend longer than 4hrs can go on the early departure from the pier and return back with last departure so they can extend tour to 6hrs!

The reasons I did not list the 2 RIU properties is distance to downtown Cabo. Probably the only time that is a walkable distance would be in the winter months and it would still be quite a hike. Size wise, they seem a bit overwhelming to me as well. Sunset Beach is also a huge property, but it is made much smaller by the use of individual (small buildings), the cart transportation that is available 24 hours a day, and the 7 different pools that are scattered around the property. So for me, on a personal level, the RIU properties just look too big. My last reason for not listing the RIU properties is because I believe they offer an AI (all inclusive) option. I believe this is probably the worst thing to choose in Cabo because of all the fantastic dining opportunities in town. Too many to list, but some of our favorites include: Gordo Lele's, Gardinias, Mocambos, Mama's, Salvatore's, Baja Cantina, Solomans Landing, Tobasco's, La Fonda's. I could go on and on.

The reasons I did not list the 2 RIU properties is distance to downtown Cabo. Probably the only time that is a walkable distance would be in the winter months and it would still be quite a hike. Size wise, they seem a bit overwhelming to me as well. Sunset Beach is also a huge property, but it is made much smaller by the use of individual (small buildings), the cart transportation that is available 24 hours a day, and the 7 different pools that are scattered around the property. So for me, on a personal level, the RIU properties just look too big. My last reason for not listing the RIU properties is because I believe they offer an AI (all inclusive) option. I believe this is probably the worst thing to choose in Cabo because of all the fantastic dining opportunities in town. Too many to list, but some of our favorites include: Gordo Lele's, Gardinias, Mocambos, Mama's, Salvatore's, Baja Cantina, Solomans Landing, Tobasco's, La Fonda's. I could go on and on.

This is a great help! Thanks again!

HEY KURBANFAN

I can do even better. Check out this link to "Trappers List". It's put together by "Trapper" and a lot of other folks who love Cabo - who play over on the TripAdvisor Cabo Forum Board. TripAdvisor is the parent company of CruiseCritic.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117507766909545303634.00045243dd2395b8ab23a

Another version of the same list (an updated list will be out this summer)

http://helmbrechtsonline.com/Cabo/Cabo_Dining_Trapper.html

More useful stuff

http://helmbrechtsonline.com/Cabo/Cabo_index.html

Link to the Cabo Forum Board at TripAdvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150769-i82-Baja_California.html

That should keep you busy for awhile.

I would just hit one of the beach bars on Medano Beach. Grab a chair or lounger and eat and drink on the cheap. And if you need to cool down, just take a dip in the Pacific.

I think this is what we will end up doing!! Sounds just fine to me although I know dd would prefer a place with a swimming pool.

I think this is what we will end up doing!! Sounds just fine to me although I know dd would prefer a place with a swimming pool.

I heard that the Finnestera also allows cruise passengers. You just have to buy food and beverages and they will happily allow you to use the pool.

Only problem with the Finisterra is it's location. It's a Pacific Ocean resort (Solmar Beach) so you get the swimming pool, but absolutely no ocean swimming or ocean type activities (jet ski's, parasailing, glass bottom boat, etc).

On Medano Beach, you get all the ocean activities, beach restaurants/bars, vendors selling trinkets, but no swimming pool unless the timeshare resorts are at low occupancy (then you "may" get in). Or you pay for a day pass at the "ME" resort.

I would just hit one of the beach bars on Medano Beach. Grab a chair or lounger and eat and drink on the cheap. And if you need to cool down, just take a dip in the Pacific.

That is the best advice.... just take a water taxi from the pier to Medano Beach - they will drop you off anywhere you ask... then just hang out and have fun!

Archived