Life vests allowed in the pool?

StinkyFeesh

Thanks, but as has been stated a few times, water wings are not allowed. Life jackets are. Not to mention a life jacket which forms to the body takes up much less real estate in the water than wings forcing a childs arms out at length in an impression of Ralphies little brother in a snow suit in A Christmas Story. Either way, the goal here was just to allow the kids to enjoy being in the pool with mom and dad without being stuck to the intake screen on a drain. I wasn't really looking at it as an opportunity to conduct the worlds most expensive swim lesson. We can have those at home.

I have seen kids wearing water wings on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE we have ever taken. And you're wrong about them taking up more room - some are quite small and allow for a good range of upper arm motion.

I'm sorry, but I can't fathom plopping my kids into a public pool wearing life vests. Spend a buck at the dollar store on some water wings and throw them in the pool.

You didn't say how old your children are but when my grandchildren were younger I purchased those bathing suits with flotation devices in pockets. They are probably called something.. My grandson called it "Grandmom's magic bathing suit". They really worked well at keeping him above water.

Is this your first cruise?

Kids should never wear a life vest or floatation device in a pool or at the beach. If they cannot swim well enough on their own, then they must be accompanied by a responsible adult within arms reach at all times. If they can swim well, then they don't need a life jacket in the pool.

Get your kids into a swim class NOW. Too many children drown each year, because their parents do not teach them to swim. Check with your local Red Cross or municipal park department for places you can get swim lessons.

If you let your kids use life jackets as a crutch, they will not learn to be independent, responsible swimmers. Get them the proper training. It's very important.

LOL ok now you're just plain trying too hard.

My son used both life jackets and water wings. I rather be safe than sorry. I saw plenty of other kids with either life jackets or water wings.

Thanks. The kids are just fine in their vests. I'm not trying to make it so they can walk on the water, just so they can float comfortably.

I have seen kids wearing water wings on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE we have ever taken. And you're wrong about them taking up more room - some are quite small and allow for a good range of upper arm motion.

I'm sorry, but I can't fathom plopping my kids into a public pool wearing life vests. Spend a buck at the dollar store on some water wings and throw them in the pool.

Now you have me curious. What exactly is just so horrid about a life vest that you can't "fathom" plopping your kids in one in public, meanwhile floaties are just fine? Perhaps in your eyes even a bold fashion statement? If anything were to have a stigma associated with it, it would be water wings.

LifeJacket_child.jpg

Not my child. Look how pitiful this poor child looks! You can read his face and see just how traumatic all the ridicule he's surely receiving from the other people not in the frame is. Just terrible!!

2849060-Alex-taking-poolside-drinking-precautions-with-his-floaties-on-0.jpg

Not me. Oh yes, this is the epitome of Joe Cool!

Stop being ridiculous folks. I didn't ask your opinion on anything. The question was answered rather well by the fourth post. If you're one of the ones who chimed in to truly give me a hand, I thank you for that. The rest of you who simply try your best to make this one of the most inhospitable communities on the internet I've ever heard of....well you know.

You people have got to be kidding. It was a simple question the OP asked.

You have got to have something better to do than read these boards and post replies that make the original question seem like it is a crime.

Let's all be helpful to people who post here and be nice. It is a place for information to be gathered to make one's cruise experience a better one.

BE NICE :)

Stop being ridiculous folks. I didn't ask your opinion on anything. The question was answered rather well by the fourth post. If you're one of the ones who chimed in to truly give me a hand, I thank you for that. The rest of you who simply try your best to make this one of the most inhospitable communities on the internet I've ever heard of....well you know.

LOL! I really just don't get some of these posters:rolleyes: I have seen children in Carnival pools with these type of jackets on. Your child will have no problem.....

My child practically grew up on the river and lived in one of these until he was older and able to swim well enough on his own...... they are not bulky at all as some posters mentioned......he actually learned to swim on his own because of these jackets.......

Those silly water wings never even kept him above water.......better safe then sorry!

Good luck!

LOL you aren't lying! Only here coould this topic get to a second page after the fourth post! Whew! :D

It is your child, yes they are allowed, ignore every negative, ridiculous post you have received here and take his life vest with you. I hope you have a great cruise :)

OP

Do what you think best and are comfortable with. The vest pictured

will be fine for your child and I cannot see why it wouldn't be allowed.

In fact, on the Victory in March there were two children in the pool

wearing them every afternoon.

Perhaps others thought you were referring to the "ships bright orange

life vests" which could be difficult for your child to manuver in.

The rest of you who simply try your best to make this one of the most inhospitable communities on the internet I've ever heard of....well you know.

If you think this one is bad, you should see some of the AOL boards. Unbelievable stuff written on those boards. Racist, sexist, profanity laden, anti-everything, hateful and vitriolic. I guess they are not monitored.

I agree with you though, that when it comes to anything to do with kids and swimming pools or restaurants, it's hard to get an answer to a question without one's parenting becoming the issue. The family board is the best place to go for information, imo.

Come back after your cruise and let us know if your kids were able to swim in their vests without becoming the victim of ridicule, lol. Have fun.:)

Now you have me curious. What exactly is just so horrid about a life vest that you can't "fathom" plopping your kids in one in public, meanwhile floaties are just fine? Perhaps in your eyes even a bold fashion statement? If anything were to have a stigma associated with it, it would be water wings.

We own a lake house and ski boat. When we go to the big cove to swim, EVERYONE is required to wear a life vest, adults included (they usually need them the most as they've usually had a beer or two). They don't get on our boat if they are unwilling to wear a vest in our lake (it's a very deep water lake), whether skiing or swimming. No one has ever complained about it, not once.

How old are your kids? I would recommend some inexpensive water wings - IMO life preservers are too bulky for use in a small, crowded pool. Water wings will also help your kids in learning to swim, whereas the life preservers prohibit movement too much to aid in learning to swim on one's own.

Rowan, I know you have been on Fantasy quiet a few times which had me wondering if you were going to continue sailing on Fantasy once she moves to Mobile. I also love Fantasy and was thinking how sad I was going to be when she left. I guess I will have to talk DH into driving to Mobile. :)

Rowan, I know you have been on Fantasy quiet a few times which had me wondering if you were going to continue sailing on Fantasy once she moves to Mobile. I also love Fantasy and was thinking how sad I was going to be when she left. I guess I will have to talk DH into driving to Mobile. :)

DH has said we're done when it moves - mainly because we like to do the 5 days that return on a Thursday, disembark at 7 AM, and DH goes right in to work. Saves him a vacation day which means more cruises for us. We'll have to see if we like the Triumph, and what the 5 day cruises cost once the rates settle down a bit. I'll be on the Fantasy my 11th time in September, and I think this will be the last one.

last week on the sensation most of the people in the pool sat around the edges and drank. the pool was usually packed. kids wanted to swim and couldn't understand that it isn't a swimming pool. also many were not real happy if they got splashed by the kids. noone said anything but if looks could kill we would have all died in the bahamas.

Archived