Helsinki Guide

There are 4 of us visiting Helsinki in August and we were wondering if anyone has ever hired a driver/guide to show them Helsinki and then take them to Porvoo. We would be interested in any recommendations. Thanks!

Kelley

Do you really have so much time? Porvoo really is a lovely town but Helsinki-Porvoo is over 30 miles - 55 km - centre to centre. Although there is a motorway, it is going to take you the best part of an hour in both directions.

The railway there is no help - it is a museum line and runs on Saturdays only . The boat to Porvoo is the finest way to travel, leaving from Helsinki's Market Square, but is hopelessly slow.

It's your holiday, of course, but I reckon that, to see the sights in a day without complete exhaustion, it's Helsinki OR Porvoo.

Just my opinion. Hope you have a great time.

Helsinki & Porvoo are excursions offered on our August Cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. It is a 7 hour tour and sounds quite nice. I don't know if you are there on a cruise ship or not. I suppose it would be cheaper to have a van/driver if you could find one.

Marie:confused:

There are 4 of us visiting Helsinki in August and we were wondering if anyone has ever hired a driver/guide to show them Helsinki and then take them to Porvoo. We would be interested in any recommendations. Thanks!

Kelley

3 of us used a very nice guide for this very thing last summer. It was a great day.

Google: Ahti Arak Tours and you'll find him.

He's from Estonia and we also used him in Tallin as one of our small group uses a wheel chair. The Estonians "pop" over to Helsinki by car ferry to shop, dine & visit quite a lot it seems and he spoke both languages plus English.

Martha

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from July 5th sailing on Princess. The lines for shuttle buses were quite long at the port. We got a taxi and then hired the guy for the day. We went to Porvoo and saw all the sights in Helsinki.

His name is Klaus Letito. Helsinki Taxi 347. Tel. 3580451106342

I forget how much we paid him, but it was well worth it.

Archived