Getting Euros on board

Grandma Rambo

I doubt that you will be able to do what you want.I suggest that you take an ATM card with you and obtain Euros as you need them in most airports/cities that you will visit.

Be aware of your "banks" exchange charges(if any).

Happy sailing.

We've taken Traveler's cheques (in Euro currency) and exchanged them for euros on board Celebrity, but on our Azamara Med cruise, we used ATM's instead. (Buying euros or euro TC's in North America usually results in a higher exchange rate than obtaining them from an ATM there.) I don't think you'll be able to get euro cash and have it charged to your on-board account.

If you use ATM's, be aware that there are often transaction limits ... e.g. 200 euros (this is an ATM limit, and not the daily limit imposed by your bank). We've had to do two withdrawals at once to get enough euros at one time in some of the Med ports that we've visited. We also take debit cards for two accounts (from different banks) ...in the event that one card doesn't work at a particular ATM. It's rare, but it has happened to us.

The Europe/Med board often has threads discussing the best way to get Euros.

I have changed Dollars to Euros on board Azamara, I din't do it, but I would think you can charge it to your Sea-Pass.

Thank you, all of you, for the helpful information. I only mentioned the Sea Pass because we are trying to avoid carrying too many USD or Euros in our pockets. The private tours require cash in Euros and don't take credit cards. Guess we'll go the ATM route. We don't have debit cards but do have ATM cards with cash advance ability and also AMEX/Visa. We have 11 months to decide. Our cruise is next May. Thanks again, Jennie

Archived