Folding Bicycles on the Sapphire in Alaska

txsaxplayer

Hey Folks,

I put together a little site to spread the word about my wife and I using folding bicycles on the first north- and southbound (B2B) cruises to Alaska this season. The bicycles EASILY fit into the closet of our cabin when they were folded up and when we got off the ship we just pushed them down the gangway and we were off! They folded up into 2 suitcases, and through careful selection of airlines, we paid not a cent in overages for baggage.

Here's the link: http://web.me.com/rfenno/Alaska_Cruise_with_Folding_Bikes_2009/Welcome.html

Nothing for sale here, just information of a non-commercial nature.

Cheers!

Richard

A couple who recently sailed with us on the Sapphire for a 14-night B2B picked up mountain bikes for $99 in Vancouver (from Wal-Mart close to the VIARail station) and left them with the (thrilled) cabin steward at the end. I have to say, it worked out brilliantly for them, and I wish I'd had the idea. ;0)

E

A couple who recently sailed with us on the Sapphire for a 14-night B2B picked up mountain bikes for $99 in Vancouver (from Wal-Mart close to the VIARail station) and left them with the (thrilled) cabin steward at the end. I have to say, it worked out brilliantly for them, and I wish I'd had the idea. ;0)

E

How & where did they store them during the voyage?

How & where did they store them during the voyage?

That's one of the reasons why Jan and I decided on the folding bikes. That and that nice trick they do of fitting into a suitcase.

There's a crew bicycle parking area down on the M1 where the couple might have kept their bikes before turning them over to the steward. But they might have had a hard time crossing the membrane.

I should have taken picture of the bikes on a sea day in the closet of our inside cabin. Perhaps there will be some video.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

RF

Austin (102 degrees today)

That's one of the reasons why Jan and I decided on the folding bikes. That and that nice trick they do of fitting into a suitcase.

There's a crew bicycle parking area down on the M1 where the couple might have kept their bikes before turning them over to the steward. But they might have had a hard time crossing the membrane.

I should have taken picture of the bikes on a sea day in the closet of our inside cabin. Perhaps there will be some video.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

RF

Austin (102 degrees today)

I have seen the crew for time to time using bikes to get places but I always thought their storage was only allowed by persons working on the ship & not passengers. If they let me have my own it would be great.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that Princess will provide any bike storage for passenger. Maybe the one couple was able to work something out, as it is rare, but I don't see them providing for anything other than an isolated occurance. That would only reduce the number of excursions sold. It would be SUCH a cool thing. I might try the folding bike trick though!!

Archived