Family STATEROOMS Article

I found this hope it helps someone who wants to cruise with their children. Marge

Royal Caribbean

Why? Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas are offering the most innovative family staterooms I've seen in a long time. First of all, they're available in six different categories from a 600-square-foot royal family suite to a 330-square-foot inside family stateroom. With the exception of the suite, all family staterooms feature a curtained-off sleeping alcove and a sleeper sofa.

I also love that families of six can choose from four 335-square-foot promenade family staterooms, featuring a curtained-off sleeping alcove with bunk beds, a sleeper sofa, a bathtub, and window seats overlooking the Royal Promenade; eight 495-square-foot family oceanview staterooms; or two inside family staterooms with sleeper sofa and walk-in closet.

Other Positives: If you're in the mood to splurge, each of the four 600-square-foot royal family suites has two bedrooms, two bathrooms (one with tub), a living area with a sectional sofa, an entertainment center with a 30-inch flat-panel TV, and a large balcony with an al fresco dining table for eight. And while the Freedom-class ships trump all other ships in the fleet for family-related accommodations, Royal Caribbean's Voyager- and Radiance-class ships (as well as Vision of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, and Enchantment of the Seas) offer 265- to 328-square-foot family oceanview staterooms.

These can accommodate up to six guests and typically include two twin beds, which can convert into a queen-size bed, bunk beds in a separate enclosed area, sitting area with sofa bed, and mini bar. Grand and junior suites also offer significantly more room and can sleep three to four guests (but without a privacy curtain, there is less personal space).

Nice Touches: Borrow one of several children's books available in the library to take back for bedtime reading in your cabin. Other family features include in-stateroom refrigerators, cribs, and child-friendly fare from room service including freshly mashed baby food. The Cartoon Network is available on stateroom TVs.

Caveat Emptor: Family staterooms and suites on Royal Caribbean's non-Freedom ships vary in size and layout so be sure to check online and with your travel agent for detailed information on bed configurations.

Just remeber that in the family staterooms, there is no real privacy for Mom & Dad. If your children are old enough, you might want to consider 2 cabins for privacy as well as 2 bathrooms.

Just remeber that in the family staterooms, there is no real privacy for Mom & Dad. If your children are old enough, you might want to consider 2 cabins for privacy as well as 2 bathrooms.

Yea I was just thinking of that issue...

Thanks for the article!

Sounds like a good idea for parents with small children.

But if you are cruising as a family with older children, two staterooms sounds like a better idea so that you have two bathrooms between the two rooms, privacy for parents, and if the older children like to have late nights, they wont wake the parents when they come back to the room.

Price wise, would it be the same for a family stateroom or for two staterooms?

Thanks for the article!

Sounds like a good idea for parents with small children.

But if you are cruising as a family with older children, two staterooms sounds like a better idea so that you have two bathrooms between the two rooms, privacy for parents, and if the older children like to have late nights, they wont wake the parents when they come back to the room.

That is a for sure......

• 1 month later...

With young children, the Family Staterooms are incredible. I agree with the original poster to ask about the layout of the Family Staterooms. We stayed on one on two different ships and we've stayed in the Royal Family Suites on two different ships, and even within the same ship, the layouts varied quite a bit.

Cabin 6500 on the Explorer is perfect if you have elementary school aged children (or early middle school) as the two bunk beds with the closing door and the door on the parent's room was just enough. It's the only cabin with it's layout on the ship, though.

When my children were younger and we had the Voyager family stateroom they only played on the bunk beds and slept in bed with us, as they were too afraid to be "in the closet." However, the extra cabin space and the lack of the balcony was nice (plus, the bunk bed area was a great place for them to store their toys and books, thus decreasing on clutter.)

FYI -- -we're a family of four and have been able to books these rooms even though all over the place it states you have to have 5 or more or 6 and more.

Some of the time, we booked late, and the cabin was still available. Other times (Cabin 6500 on the Explorer) we booked over a year in advance ... so it's worth it to ask even with a family of four.

I looked into this recently, and for my dates -- two connecting rooms are LESS EXPENSIVE than one family stateroom, plus you get more square footage, more privacy, and a second bathroom.

On the other hand, IF you were able to get a really great price for your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th passenger, the family stateroom MIGHT be a better deal. I suspect this would be an unusual situation.

Archived