best crab shack in Baltimore?

mom2kidds

Ok, maybe not a shack... where to find the best blue crab dinner in the inner harbor area of Baltimore.

We come from the land of famous Dungeness Crab and would love to try what the east coast has to offer. Your suggestions or reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!

Obryki's and Bo Brooks are the best places in the downtown harbor area. If you don't mind venturing east a little, Captain James Landing and Canton Dockside are also good places for crabs. All of them should have websites for more info. Enjoy! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Obryki's and Bo Brooks are the best places in the downtown harbor area. If you don't mind venturing east a little, Captain James Landing and Canton Dockside are also good places for crabs. All of them should have websites for more info. Enjoy! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Everyone has their own favorite, and they are generally not in the downtown or Inner Harbor area. However, brandlet1015 has done a very good job of identifying some good choices. I will be having steamed crabs at Canton Dockside [one of my new favorites] this Saturday. I have some reservations about Bo Brooks, but it does have a good location and great crab soup.

The corporate types take their out-of-town colleagues to Obryki's which is a short inexpensive cab ride from downtown or Inner Harbor.

There are several locations near BWI that have good crab cakes. A little further south [off Route 100 and Coca Cola drive] is Gunnings, relocated from Hanover Street in South Baltimore. I'll be there tonight for softshells. What can I say, it is that time of year.

http://www.cantondockside.com/

http://www.obryckis.com/

Canton Dockside

3301 Boston Street, 410-276-8900. What bills itself as “Baltimore’s newest crab house” is fast becoming one of our favorite crab houses. We might go elsewhere if we were hankering for a water view (although Dockside is somewhere in the general vicinity of a dock, there’s no harbor vista), but for truly pleasant surroundings, excellent service, and all-around solid seafood, Dockside is hard to beat. Oh, and the crabs—big, heavy, meaty Louisiana blues—were the best we’ve had in a while. A large part of Dockside’s appeal is its spacious, well-appointed dining room, which still retains the fine-dining trappings of the building’s former resident, Canton’s Pearls. Despite the semi-upscale feel, prices are eminently reasonable and the vibe is crab-shack friendly. The place is popping with families, after-work singles, old and young, all getting into the act. One night we observed a sweet young couple—obvious novices—getting pointers from an elderly man at the next table, who kindly gave a step-by-step on how to dismantle a hard shell. Crabs aren’t the only act—a host of seafood-topped pastas, sandwiches, salads, and non-seafood entrées fill out the considerable menu—but every variation of the noble blue we’ve tried here, including a seasonal soft-shell sandwich, was primo. If you must have outdoor dining, there’s a shaded patio alongside the building. But with crabs like these, you won’t really care where you’re sitting, as long as the table is loaded with the house specialty.

Obrycki’s

1727 E. Pratt Street, 410-732-6399. Obrycki’s is nearly synonymous with crabs—imperial, deviled, caked, flaked, and, of course, steamed. Whatever form you prefer your crabs, they are good eatin’ at this Baltimore institution. The hard crabs, steamed in Obrycki’s own peppery blend, are meaty—at least, the large crabs are—and make your lips tingle and the beer taste colder and better than you could imagine. For those who do not want to work so hard for their supper, Obrycki’s offers an ambitious and appealing menu with many kinds of seafood. For $11, diners can add a crab cake to any entrée—it’s a high-quality crab cake with little filler, though a slightly greasy taste. The cucumbers in sour cream are a delicious, cooling counterpoint to the hard crabs. Obrycki’s is a bustling, casual place with an earthy beige décor, tile floor, and tabletops almost the same color as the brown paper used to cover them for hard-crab eaters. In crab-house fashion, many of the dining groups are large, and there is much coupling and uncoupling of tables to accommodate the changing crowd. But the tables are well-spaced, and the dining area is divided into several rooms, keeping the noise down and the conversation up. The service is friendly and efficient. The staff is only too happy to teach newcomers how to pick a crab, and to give refresher courses, too.

Gunning’s Seafood Restaurant

7304 Parkway Drive, Hanover, 410-712-9404. Here’s the scoop on the seemingly never-ending and ultimately confusing saga of the two Gunning’s: The original Hanover Street Gunning’s is closed. Gone. Done. Over. It has ceased to be. The Hanover Gunning’s, still owned by the Gunning family, is alive and well and serving hot steamed crabs and those crazy fried pepper rings that made them famous. You know, green peppers—breaded, deep-fried, and dusted with, yes, powdered sugar. Don’t knock ’em till you’ve tried ’em. The strip-mall location has been knocked by purists, but it’s perfectly nice and spacious, and you’ll find that the bevy of homespun Hon-type waitresses provide plenty of atmosphere. A platter of heavily Old-Bayed medium (but hefty) crabs passed our own personal Hon test, as did the massive hard crab, that over-the-top concoction of breaded, stuffed, and deep-fried whole hard shell. Nice touches include a beautiful salad with kicky homemade pepper-Parmesan dressing that comes to the table instead of the usual bread basket, and good, filler-less, all-lump crab cakes for the pickin’ shy. Nightly happy-hour specials keep the bar hopping, but don’t be dismayed when you pull up and see the cars spilling out of the parking lot—the dining room may be busy, but it’s big enough to accommodate walk-ins. If you’re anywhere in the vicinity south of Baltimore and the urge hits you, Gunning’s is as good a place as any to sate your crab cravings.

I grew up in Baltimore and I personally believe the better restaurants are away from the Inner Harbor. They're over priced, some of the best seafood restaurants are along the water of the bay and tributaries and look like dives from the outside. I know my parents enjoy one which is near Havre De Grace, they only serve seafood from Maryland. Can't remember the name now, I'll try to get it and post it on here.

My vote for out of towners is Bo Brooks, only because of the waterfront location and views.

I haven't been to Cantler's in a long time, but I agree that it's a good place for crabs. Unfortunately, it's in Annapolis.

The OP is taking the red eye on July 11 to cruise on July 12, thus no time for Annapolis.

The OP's hotel is the Hampton Inn on Redwood Street, so Obrycki's, Canton Dockside (it's not physically on the water) and Bo Brooks seem to be the best fit.

mom2kidds....None of these restaurants are located right at the Inner Harbor, but close enough for a short taxi ride. Expect to pay approximately $60 a dozen for large steamed crabs. ;)

I just returned from Gunnings [great Maryland style crab soup]. I had softshell crabs, but asked about today's steamed crab prices. The results:

Mediums at $68 per dozen; large at $78 per dozen; and Jumbo at $92 per dozen. My late father wouldn't believe [or pay] these prices. It is early so there is a chance prices will come down after the 4th of July.

I agree as well that none of my favorite crab houses are downtown or in the Inner Harbor. My current favorites are Canton Dockside and Mike's on Riva Road at the South River. You can dock your boat right at their pier and bang those hammers just a few feet away.

Went to Phillip's Crab House in the Light Street Pavillion (Inner Harbour) last night. Had a crab cake sandwich and fries for 14.99 and a very yummy Chesapeake Cosmopolitan (check the drink menu for ingredients!!) Sat outside with a beautiful view of the harbour. They had a very talented guy on the piano. Well worth the money! Parking directly across from the pavillion at the Hyatt. The Hyatt actually has a walkway from the third floor that takes you directly to the pavillion therefore you don't have to even cross the street! Afterwards...you can enjoy the shops and sites! Hope you have a great time!!

We will be staying at Hampton Inn BWI (829 Elkridge Landing Road, Linthicum) pre-cruise in August. We will have our car. Any suggestions for a place to get some good crab cakes that is not too far from our motel?

We will be staying at Hampton Inn BWI (829 Elkridge Landing Road, Linthicum) pre-cruise in August. We will have our car. Any suggestions for a place to get some good crab cakes that is not too far from our motel?

You will have to try G & M Restaurant and Lounge. It doesn't have the finest decor or atmosphere, but it will have the best crab cakes near your location, very near your location. It is on Hammond's Ferry Road and once you check a local map you will see that Elkridge Landing Road crosses Hammonds Ferry Road and the restaurant, if I remember correctly, is right at that intersection.

Visit their website at: http://www.gandmrestaurant.com/

About a block away from G and M is The Olive Branch Restaurant which has great crabcakes too. You will notice though that every restaurant is Maryland, even the ones in Western Maryland where I live claim to have the best crab cakes in the state.

phillips is overrated...out there by where you are staying try this..

http://www.gandmrestaurant.com/

the crabcakes are huge and filling....i only get 1! once i had a filet and a crab cake in case i didn't like the crab cake. i am a confirmed meat-a-tarian! i left half the steak and NONE of the crabcake!

BTW many airport area hotels will shuttle you to local restaurants....never hurts to ask!

About a block away from G and M is The Olive Branch Restaurant which has great crabcakes too. You will notice though that every restaurant is Maryland, even the ones in Western Maryland where I live claim to have the best crab cakes in the state.

LOL, yea, I noticed that! I guess claiming you have the second best crab cakes in the state wouldn't be the best marketing/advertising campaign. :p Thanks for suggesting The Olive Branch as well. I will have to take a look at their menu and G&M's and see how they compare. I am sure either will be great. Looking forward to crabcakes in Baltimore and lobster and chowder in NE/Canada.

phillips is overrated...out there by where you are staying try this..

http://www.gandmrestaurant.com/

the crabcakes are huge and filling....i only get 1! once i had a filet and a crab cake in case i didn't like the crab cake. i am a confirmed meat-a-tarian! i left half the steak and NONE of the crabcake!

BTW many airport area hotels will shuttle you to local restaurants....never hurts to ask!

Wow, that crabcake must have been good!

Thanks, Meg. :)

Some actually have a somewhat "legitimate" claim. Baltimore Magazine annually awards kudos to the Top Fifteen Best Crab Cakes. So, anyone of them might make the claim. It gets more complicated as the Baltimore Sun [if anyone still reads it] names its best as well.

Phillip's crab meat if fine; it is what they do with it in mass marketing restaurant that is problematic. It is generally native Baltimoreans or Marylanders who are their worst critics. Out of towners seem to enjoy the experience. Perhaps that is why they are at Harborplace. I'd rather have Phillip's crab cakes/seafood than no crab cakes at all.

I also put in my vote for Gunning's Crab House. I remember the original location in Brooklyn... they had the. best. crabs. ever.

G&M is also a good choice, but I personally prefer the Olive Grove's cakes myself. :D

Gunnings is one of my personal top three choices. Their Maryland style crab soup is one of the best. Just up the hill from them you can get a good crabcake at Timbuktu.

The steamed crabs at Canton Dockside Saturday evening [just after watching Grandeur of the Seas sail] were outstanding and considerably less expensive than Gunnings at mid-week.

Who has the best soft shells?

Thanks for the tip on the Olive Grove. I will check it out.

Who has the best soft shells?

Thanks for the tip on the Olive Grove. I will check it out.

Woodberry Kitchen and Blue Sea Grill for soft shells. ;)

Olive Grove...iceberg lettuce and a circus-like atmosphere, IMO. Crab cakes to go, fine.

go to G&M they are the best for crab cakes they are HUGE with little to no filler

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/index.php

Archived