best crab shack in Baltimore?

mom2kidds

We will be staying at the Fairfield Inn White Marsh pre cruise. Are there any good seafood restaurants in this area?

Thanks for the information.

By The Docks Restaurant & Lounge gets good marks for the seafood. It might not be hard to get to from the Fairfield Inn. Just take White Marsh Blvd. (MD 43) east until it dead ends at Eastern Blvd. at Martin State Airport. Turn left onto Eastern Blvd. Restaurant is on Eastern Blvd.

http://www.bythedocks.com/index.html

http://www.bythedocks.com/interior_pages/directions.html

I have not personally been there, but friends recommend it.

By The Docks Restaurant & Lounge gets good marks for the seafood. It might not be hard to get to from the Fairfield Inn. Just take White Marsh Blvd. (MD 43) east until it dead ends at Eastern Blvd. at Martin State Airport. Turn left onto Eastern Blvd. Restaurant is on Eastern Blvd.

http://www.bythedocks.com/index.html

http://www.bythedocks.com/interior_pages/directions.html

I have not personally been there, but friends recommend it.

Thanks for the info. We will certainly try it out.

We'll be in Baltimore in a few weeks for a baby shower (1st trip) and will also be doing a short road trip swing thru delaware and the eastern shore of md.

Question has to do with a few places that have been featured in the past year on diners, drive-ins and dives on the food network. We want to get to at least one while there and maybe two.

The places (all in baltimore area) are Blue Moon Diner, G & A Coney Island, Brick Oven Pizza and Chaps pit beef. Any thoughts as to which of these are more memorable/impressive/tasty? Or is there an as yet unheralded mom and pop place that we ought to hit? Staying a couple nites out in White Marsh but we'll have a car and the trusty GPS so wide open to suggestions. Any must do bfast joints out by White Marsh?

Thanks in advance.

We'll be in Baltimore in a few weeks for a baby shower (1st trip) and will also be doing a short road trip swing thru delaware and the eastern shore of md.

Question has to do with a few places that have been featured in the past year on diners, drive-ins and dives on the food network. We want to get to at least one while there and maybe two.

The places (all in baltimore area) are Blue Moon Diner, G & A Coney Island, Brick Oven Pizza and Chaps pit beef. Any thoughts as to which of these are more memorable/impressive/tasty? Or is there an as yet unheralded mom and pop place that we ought to hit? Staying a couple nites out in White Marsh but we'll have a car and the trusty GPS so wide open to suggestions. Any must do bfast joints out by White Marsh?

Thanks in advance.

Hey michmike!

Hmmm...there's the Blue Moon Cafe and the Paper Moon Diner...2 different animals.

The Paper Moon Diner, located in North Baltimore, is close to Johns Hopkins University. Three words that describe it: kitschy, tchotchkes and retro. I haven't been there in probably 3 years, but the food and service was always good and it's definitely Baltimore! ;)

http://www.papermoondiner24.com/

BOP/Brick Oven Pizza is located in Fells Point. The pizza's very good, but it's pizza. Unless you rarely eat pizza or you're a pizza fanatic, I'm not sure I'd make a special trip, although it does get great reviews for the unusual toppings.

G&A, wow, didn't even know it was still there! Always had great hot dogs, but that's all I can remember about it from many many moons ago. Again, not sure it's worth a special trip.

Other diners (more authentic with the chrome, jukeboxes, etc.) I'd recommend are BelLoc, Double T, Towson and Nautilus, none of which are in White Marsh.

I haven't eaten at the Blue Moon Cafe, Fells Point also, but it's always mobbed, so that's a good sign.

I'm not familiar with Chaps.

Enjoy your stay. ;)

Chaps Pit Beef, as seen on DDD, is a picnic table style pitbeef joint. But so worth the drive. Guy's picuture is on display. Beef was great. Sides were good. We saw it on DDD and drove over the next night. It's off of Route 40, but it's next door to a "Gentleman's Club". Wink Wink.

G & M suffered a fire a year or more ago, so it was refurbished and is very nice inside now. I have their # stored on my cellphone for carryout. The crabcakes are that good.

Gunnings has good softshells, but it's not my idea of eating crabs. I think it's a little icky and creepy.

Also near Gunnings is Timbuktu, off Route 100 and Coca Cola Drive. It is similar in price and menu to G & M. G & M, Gunnings, and Timbuktu are all near BWI and are all worth the drive. Don't order the double crab cake platter unless you have a fridge in your room for the leftovers.

I found O'Brykis to be meh.

Mike's in Riva is really good for picking crabs and it's on the South River near Annapolis.

Cantler's was too far out of the way to get to, and we live not too far from it. It was meh.

We also went to another DDD location in Baltimore for hot dogs on a whim, and it was okay, but the neighborhood was questionable after 5:00 pm.

The places (all in baltimore area) are Blue Moon Diner, G & A Coney Island, Brick Oven Pizza and Chaps pit beef. Any thoughts as to which of these are more memorable/impressive/tasty?

G&A, Blue Moon and Brick Oven (BOP) are more or less in the same area, Fells Point - it's not close to White Marsh, it's actually closer to the cruise terminal if you're sailing out of Baltimore. None of these are hugely special or rate an out of the way stop, IMHO. Don't know about Chaps, though any pit beef to me is a win.

The Paper Moon Diner is worth a stop. See the link that was provided - they're not open 24/7 anymore though so that part at least is outdated. Fair warning - the neighborhood LOOKS rough but it's not really that bad.

Avoid the Inner Harbor at all costs. It's a tourist trap and the food is not worth it - that goes for the Gallery and Lockwood Place as well. Avoid the Rusty Scupper, too - again, not worth the money.

If you like crabs or seafood, you might want to try the Crackpot up in Parkville, it's a little closer to White Marsh than the other places and it's got a nice atmosphere. The crabs are delish, too.

I forgot about Timbuktu's. Great place. A couple could easily share a crabcake dinner.

yeah.........we went there too.........not fancy............looks like nothing outside....inside is basically a big room but the crabcakes were great.

Cantlers has my vote and so does Wild Duck Cafe in Bowleys Quarters for best crabs and crab cakes. Gunnings is among my top 5. Last time we were at G & M we were quite disappointed, so we decided to give em one more try. Nope, again it was disappointing. Perhaps it is the times. but their crabcakes are not what they used to be, but I suppose those not from the area will still like them. Timbuktu's was another disappointment, but we have not been back for a while. We felt they too added to much filler to what used to be a great crab cake.

Unfortunately for those coming in to cruise out of Baltimore, they probably don't have the time to venture out to either the Wild Duck Cafe or to Cantler's.

Annieeee

Always good to get input from those that have been there. Our flight gets in fairly early on the 14th, so perhaps will try Blue Moon or Paper Moon for bfast before heading up to Brandywine area for Wyeth Museum. Then we do the Delaware Nat History museum the next morning (as they have a huge shell collection and wife is an avid sheller) before heading south along the Atlantic and exploring the Del / Md coast. That gives us 2 days to explore that area and the eastern shore of Md before getting back to B'more Fri afternoon to do the Aquarium.

Then out to White Marsh to hook up w/ friends. Sat perhaps will do the Duck thing and other tourist stuff and see if we can't fit in another DDD place for lunch.

Then baby shower Sun in Owings Mills and flying home Mon morning.

Quick in and out, but beats being at work. Will work in a stop for crab and /or crab cakes a couple times along the way somewhere. DW will be right in her element as I've always teased her that she'd eat a crap sandwich if she had a view of the water.

Again, thanks much. Will report back on our return as to where we ate and what we thought.

Im sorry but i have to disagree,the other seafood may be good but the crab cakes suck!They were big but no they had no flavor at all!

I don't want to get in the great debate because everyone has a different opinion! lol

Hey all........Hi Anne..........

We'll be in BWI for a baseball game the end of this month. We'll be staying near Inner Harbor and walking to Camden Yards. Our friend will be celebrating the big 50 and wants MD Crabs and a waterfront place to celebrate. We are all walking though.

Where do you suggest??

I was in BWI last year but we opted for Fogo De Choa (sp) the Brazillian Steakhouse and LOVED that. This time we need crab!!

I have read the previous posts but all seem to say stay away from the Inner Harbor. Walking we won't have much choice???

Thanks in advance.

We will be staying at Hampton Inn BWI (829 Elkridge Landing Road, Linthicum) pre-cruise in August. We will have our car. Any suggestions for a place to get some good crab cakes that is not too far from our motel?
G&M, right down West Nursery Road to the end on your left hand side:D:D:D. The absolute best!!

Hey all........Hi Anne..........

We'll be in BWI for a baseball game the end of this month. We'll be staying near Inner Harbor and walking to Camden Yards. Our friend will be celebrating the big 50 and wants MD Crabs and a waterfront place to celebrate. We are all walking though.

Where do you suggest??

I was in BWI last year but we opted for Fogo De Choa (sp) the Brazillian Steakhouse and LOVED that. This time we need crab!!

I have read the previous posts but all seem to say stay away from the Inner Harbor. Walking we won't have much choice???

Thanks in advance.

Hi Willbcruisin...

OK, so I think you're looking for a restaurant that serves steamed crabs within walking distance of the Inner Harbor/Camden Yards area, correct?

Bo Brooks is the only waterfront location within close proximity of Camden Yards that I can think of. It's approximately 2 miles from Fogo de Chao, a quick taxi ride or the water taxi will drop you off about a block away.

http://www.bobrooks.com/

Now, if you're flying into BWI (Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport), there are crab places close to the airport.

It's not that you should stay away from the harbor - IH is fine - it's just that the food is generally overpriced and there's much better in Baltimore for your money, that's all.

Bo Brooks is really the only place that's worth the money that's near the Inner Harbor if you want crabs. Phillips' isn't what it used to be. And Obrycki's... well, a lot might disagree with me, but I don't find Obrycki's all that good - it's certainly expensive enough that I'd expect better.

We did it! Obrycki's for crab dinner tonight! Yummy! Server Cynthia was excellent and helpful!

So hard to decide what to order so my husband and I shared this:

$27 soft crab dinner, 2 "whale size" fried whole with potato and coleslaw

added:

$11 1 crab cake

$6.25 1 XL hard shell crab steamed

$5 cup of crab soup

Delicious!

(picky daughter had a cheese burger & fries for $11 and said it too was yummy)

Taxi from Inner Harbor area was $6+ each way, plus tip.

FYI- for those familiar with catching Dungeness Crab- these XL crabs were actually too small to have kept if out crabbing for Dungeness. Does that mean these are more plentiful than Dungeness?

We decided the crab meat of these had a smoother texture than Dungeness and a milder seafood taste which I quite enjoyed. Again- YUMMY!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and info!

Ok, maybe not a shack... where to find the best blue crab dinner in the inner harbor area of Baltimore.

We come from the land of famous Dungeness Crab and would love to try what the east coast has to offer. Your suggestions or reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bo brooks gets my vote

We were in Baltimore last week for a baby shower. Had planned to hit as many of the diners, drive-ins and dives places as we could and ended up making it to two of them - The Blue Moon Cafe and Chap's Pit Beef. Blue Moon was OK.. we didn't have the signature capn crunch french toast, but did have some pretty good potato pancakes. Even tried scrapple for the first (and likely last) time. Small place, maybe 9-10 tables and based on our meal I certainly don't see the attraction of waiting 90 min or more on the weekends. We went on a Tues morning and got right in. My read is that we have at least 3 bfast places here in West Michigan that are as good if not better.

Chaps was excellent. A dump, for sure, but a GOOD roast beef sandwich and fairly decent mac and cheese. DW had pulled pork bbq that I thought was very good but was a tad spicy for her. Clearly a local favorite as there were 6 firemen, including the higher ups, eating lunch there as well as the Army recruiter and had 2 taxi drivers swing in for take out. So we went 1 for 2. Will be interested to get to other DDD joints in our travels and see if they are as special as Guy makes them out to be.

As for crabs... we went w/ a large group to Bo Brooks on Sat nite and had a good meal. DW and I had never had the blue crabs before but took the plunge and with the help of a local managed fairly well. They tasted good to us novices. Others in the group who ordered off the menu seemed pleased w/ their entrees. so a good experience overall. I would recommend if you go that you try to sit outside as I thought the inside of the place was rather sterile and institutional looking. There's a tiki bar place out in front of the restaurant that was doing a rollicking business and seemed to be a local singles hangout.

Explored the inner harbor waterfront a bit on Saturday. Nice area with a lot going on. Took the ducks tour and would love to have time to go back and explore Fell's Point area. If you are in the area for a couple days, esp you ladies, and are into shopping and cutesy restaurants, a day trip to Annapolis might be in order. Neat old downtown area with a TON of shops and restaurants (and for the fellas, some pubs with sidewalk seating so that you can sit and ogle while DW is off spending your money *L*)

Now if we can just get HAL to sail out of Baltimore....

Archived