Is it safe to take camcorder to Dunns Falls?

dsclark

I would be worried about taking a camcorder while you climb the falls. The guides will offer to hold it for you (and expect you to tip them well for the service!;) ) but they are holding numerous cameras at the same time so I would worry something would "accidently" happen. :eek: It would be VERY hard to hold the camera yourself while you are climbing...I was down on "all fours" more than once trying to keep my balance.

My suggestion is to take along a disposable water-proof camera to use while climbing the falls and leave the camcorder in a locker at the top of the falls. I wore a small, nylon fanny pack and kept the disposable camera in that when I didn't want it hanging around my wrist. Once you are done climbing then you could grab the camera and walk down the stairs alongside the falls to get some video footage. (That is what I did.)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't take a video camera. Even if the guide holds it there's still a strong chance it could get splashed with water. We took a disposable waterproof camera. The guide took several pictures of us with it and I took quite a few myself. If there's someone in your party who doesn't want to make the climb, you could have them videotape the rest of you from the stairs.

Archived