Tarquinia or Lake Bracciano?

2serendip

We find ourselves leaving DaVinci airport on an early Friday morning with a rental car and a night to spend before embarking on our cruise from Civitavecchia. When this happened before, we stayed the night in Fumicino and explored Ostia Antiqua so we're not planning to do that again. We also spent a night in Civitavecchia so we'd like to avoid that this time.

We need to be in Civitavecchia to return the rental car by noon on Saturday. So I have a couple of questions -- has anyone been to the town of Anguillara on Lake Bracciano? If so, what do you think, and can we get from there to Civitavecchia in, say, four hours?

And what about Tarquinia? Would that be a better choice?

Thanks for any info that can help us with this decision.

We find ourselves leaving DaVinci airport on an early Friday morning with a rental car and a night to spend before embarking on our cruise from Civitavecchia. When this happened before, we stayed the night in Fumicino and explored Ostia Antiqua so we're not planning to do that again. We also spent a night in Civitavecchia so we'd like to avoid that this time.

We need to be in Civitavecchia to return the rental car by noon on Saturday. So I have a couple of questions -- has anyone been to the town of Anguillara on Lake Bracciano? If so, what do you think, and can we get from there to Civitavecchia in, say, four hours?

And what about Tarquinia? Would that be a better choice?

Thanks for any info that can help us with this decision.

Have only been to Tarquinia. Have read extensively about Lago Bracciano. Because I've nver been there, the later would be my choice.

Tarquinia is a beautiful little town and we loved it.

Either is an easy less than 4 hour drive to Civitavecchia drive.

I had a tour to Tarquinia on my Med cruise a couple of weeks ago. It was a very nice town and was an hour drive, max, from Civitavecchia.

From Tarquinia by bus is only 25 mins from centre of Civitavecchia to main square in Tarquinia.

took this ride 5 weeks ago

Anguilara is BEAUTIFUL, and proabably only about an hour equadistant from Rome, Civitavecchia, and Fuimico airport ( I don't know about Da Vinci). Becasue we arrived about 8:00 AM on cruising day, we did a little tour of Bracciano- including the castle, Aguilara, and Ceri with Romecabs on our way to the port. This was truly a magical day. All three towns were incredibly picturesque. Bracciano was like something out of a fairy tale. Anguilara had the languid charm of the average Roman citizen's lakeside relaxation getaway, and we had the best meal of our lives in Ceri. These towns are all only 20 minutes or so from one another. I would go back in a heartbeat.

HOPINGFORTHEBEST,

We are looking at visiting the Bracciano area using Rome Cabs on our trip from the hotel in central Rome to Civitavecchia. How long did you spend on the jaunt? Did you have lunch?

Appreciate your help, as it seems to be a nice area to visit on the way to the ship. On our last trip, we just went on the main highway with no sightseeing.

Ciao, Pat

We are taking limo in rome private tour for 2 days on april 26 & 27, 2010. He is taking us to Orvieto,Civita, and Viterbo the first day... and Cerveteri, Bracciano, Tarquinia and Tuscania the 2nd day..Could anyone suggest a place for lunch on both days..WE are finding most places are closed on Monday, our first day...We will be staying in Rome for 4 days and have tours the other 2 days in Rome. Has anyone done an itinerary like this visiting these 7 towns? Are they good choices?

HOPINGFORTHEBEST

We are looking at visiting the Bracciano area using Rome Cabs on our trip from the hotel in central Rome to Civitavecchia. How long did you spend on the jaunt? Did you have lunch?

Appreciate your help, as it seems to be a nice area to visit on the way to the ship. On our last trip, we just went on the main highway with no sightseeing.

Ciao, Pat

Hey Pat,

We are also visiting Lake Bracciano using Rome Cabs on the way to Civitavecchia in October. When are you going?

Thanks

Romecabs picked us up at the airport about 8:00 AM. First we went to Bracciano and walked around a bit until the castle opened at 10:00-- when our driver had arranged an English tour for us. Probabaly about 11:00 we headed to Aguilara and walked by the lake for another hour or so. Finally to the fabulous lunch in Ceri. I can't remember to exact name, something about the Rocas. It is right at the top of the hill with a patio overlooking the whole area. We made it to the ship check in about 2:30, and were probably on the ship by about 3:00. I may be off on the times, but our driver, Mauricio, was very adept and handling all the timing and arrangements for us, so we really could just enjoy our fabulous first day in Italy.

• 1 month later...

We stopped in Tarquinia as we drove from Via Reggio to Naples a year or so ago. The museum was interesting, the town was lovely. It was a place we ended up wishing we had had more time to explore! But, then again, most places in Italy seem to be that way!

Hi fellow Orange Countian!

We are departing from Rome for the Grand Princess on October 25

Ciao, Pat

Hey Pat,

I was hoping you were going before us so that you could tell us all about it, but it looks like we will be there before you.

Have a great time.

Arrividerci

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Civitavecchia on a Mon and want to see the countryside. Interested in the Bracciano area but the castle, I understand, is closed on Mon.Would you suggest Tarquinia instead. Also, romeinlimo suggested Tivoli, but that seems far for Civitavecchia.

Thank you for your suggestions !

Archived