Is it for real or just placed there

cfc525

We were in Bermuda just last week and one of the things I really wanted to do was get to the sea glass beach, however we just couldn't fit it in. I am still disappointed. Since I've been back and talking about it, someone said something interesting. This person feels very suspicious that the glass is being planted there, said there just can't be that much glass being washed up. Especially with people there every day scooping it up by the bag fulls. Also brought up how long plastic water and soda bottles have been in use. Here is the best part of all... "They do have their own Bermuda Glassworks Co". What happens to the pieces they cast aside? And isn't it possible they can smooth out those rough edges right there.

I say...when would they be dumping this glass on the beach, after dark when no one is around. :confused:

I don't want to believe this and would love to see everyone else's thoughts on it. And the next time I'm in Bermuda, the sea glass beach will be my first stop. :)

Of course it's real. Why on earth would we want to pollute our beaches with dangerous trash? 'Sea glass' is only sharp, dangerous shards of glass that have been tumbled in the waves for a bit.

I believe there is so much because, back in an eco-insensitive past, Bermuda used to dump her trashed bottles out at sea.

The glass is placed there by a few people, otherwise it would all be gone by now! Some people put all manner of glass containers there, and i know of one person who puts broken crockery there for the sand and waves to smooth it out.

It would be hard to believe someone would go through all the trouble of collecting glass, smoothing it out themselves, then carrying it down to the beach for you to takeway for free.

The glass is placed there by a few people, otherwise it would all be gone by now! Some people put all manner of glass containers there, and i know of one person who puts broken crockery there for the sand and waves to smooth it out.

It would be hard to believe someone would go through all the trouble of collecting glass, smoothing it out themselves, then carrying it down to the beach for you to takeway for free.

I totally agree!

CFC525, you've let the secret out.

There are nightly visits by the Onion Sea Glass Fairy! :D

Oh! that's who that was floating by my balcony last week, with the very large pretty sequinned bag thrown over her shoulder.

Of course it's real. Why on earth would we want to pollute our beaches with dangerous trash? 'Sea glass' is only sharp, dangerous shards of glass that have been tumbled in the waves for a bit.

I believe there is so much because, back in an eco-insensitive past, Bermuda used to dump her trashed bottles out at sea.

That sounds more like it!

Take a look at these pictures of the tide line and tell me that the "Glass Fairy" dumped it just so...and look how far the tide line goes in the distance. I do believe that glass and pottery are dumped at sea not far from the King's Wharf sea glass beach. I found the majority of pieces were brown (beer bottles?) green (German beer bottles?) clear and pale green (Coke bottles) but not much blue, which makes sense. I can't bring to mind any colbolt blue bottles that are part of an ordinary household item commonly used these days. Maybe the blue that is washed ashore is from years ago as one poster indicated theirs was estimated to be 100 years old.

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

1795276310_Morepilesofseaglass025.jpg.4d4c593c56d2448a4d84b8201797396c.jpg

672628648_Pilesofseaglass022.jpg.c27e865b59f28ad80c8e572e87948d60.jpg

if the bottles were dumped out at sea then all the beaches in the vicinity would be covered in glass, not just this one. the beach is constantly seeded with new glass otherwise it would have been cleaned out a long time ago.

all glass is thrown into the water past the low tide line and is carried up to the beach by mother nature while getting smoothed on its journey up to the beach.

green bottles-heineken, becks, st pauli girl, elephant

brown bottles-amstel light, guinness, super t

clear bottles-corona, sol, black seal, smirnoff etc

blue bottles-skyy vodka and various perfume bottles and vases

Take a look at these pictures of the tide line and tell me that the "Glass Fairy" dumped it just so...and look how far the tide line goes in the distance. I do believe that glass and pottery are dumped at sea not far from the King's Wharf sea glass beach. I found the majority of pieces were brown (beer bottles?) green (German beer bottles?) clear and pale green (Coke bottles) but not much blue, which makes sense. I can't bring to mind any colbolt blue bottles that are part of an ordinary household item commonly used these days. Maybe the blue that is washed ashore is from years ago as one poster indicated theirs was estimated to be 100 years old.

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

DUUUDE!!!! BERMUDA TRIANGLE!!!!:eek: DUH!

:p:p:DHey nightwing...we plan on collecting some glass in 2 weeks!!

Hi corinnv,

Have fun collecting your sea glass, let us know what your thoughts are about it when you return.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
Is it ok to take the glass? I don't want to be robbing Bermuda of it's beauty. People who take sand and such are hurting the places they love so much.

Yes, it's ok to take the sea glass, people take it all the time. Don't forget to take along some zip lock baggies with you. A friend of mine put together a very pretty arrangement of sea glass and sea shells with sand in a clear glass bowl (shape & size your choice).

Archived