Compare Road to Hana excursions, Please

flashdog_1

Renting a car is not what we want to do for this drive. We do not want to retrace our steps, but go "all the way around" which I know does not mean all the way around the island, but all the way around the volcano's base.

There appear to be 4 choices (and if you know of others, please let me know what they are!) I know that big tour buses do not make this trip, but there does seem to be some variety in size of the vehicle.

Roberts (who says nothing about the route back to the ship. Don't think it goes all the way around) Cheap. Larger vehicle

NCL's goes all the way around. Expensive Is it a larger vehicle.

Valley Isle advertises luxury vans, hot food for lunch, included, plus cold beverages all day, goes all the way around. Expensive but they have a $10 off deal if you call them direct. Have a fuel surcharge. Limited to 12 people. Stops for a swim or two. Brags that they have more time on your feet than others (4 1/2 hours of the 9-10 hour tour).

Ekahu goes thru the Kipu ranch on the way back. Goes all the way around. I can't tell if the other tours also go thru Kipu or not. The only negative is that they have not responded to my email inquiry. Limited # of passengers. Lunch is at a restaurant and is included. Stop for swimming also.

Probably not many people have taken more than one of these tours, but if you have any words of comparison, or just the good, bad and ugly of any one of them, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Aloha,

I worked with all the tour companies you named during my 12 years of owning an activity desk here in Maui. First, do you mean "Kipahulu" in your posts? That's the area near the Pools of O'heo (misnamed the "Seven Sacred Pools"). It's also near the church where Charles Lindbergh is buried.

Second, any tour may not be able to "go all the way around" the back side, due to construction and bridge issues. However, Valley Isle was always very honest and straight up about that, and I found my guests enjoyed their guides and tours very much.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response.

Do you know how comfortable Ekahi's van is? Yes, it is the area you mentioned:

We stop at Haleakala National Park in Kipahulu (Pools of 'Ohe'o), Tedeschi Winery, Heavenly Hana, South Wailua Falls, Keanae Peninsula and Charles Lindbergh's Gravesite. Weather permitting, Ekahi's Hana tour circles the base of Haleakala (Maui's sleeping volcano) on dirt roads without bridges.

They are having a limited time 15% off fare, but they won't respond to email.

I was leaning toward Valley Isle anyway.

We took the NCL tour in March. We did go all the way around and it was a minibus...not a large bus. We had such a fun group and had a ball. The trip, I believe, was provided by Roberts. I am so glad that we did it and I have the "I Survived the Road to Hana' t-shirt to prove it. It is an amazing trip.

We took the NCL tour in March. We did go all the way around and it was a minibus...not a large bus. We had such a fun group and had a ball. The trip, I believe, was provided by Roberts. I am so glad that we did it and I have the "I Survived the Road to Hana' t-shirt to prove it. It is an amazing trip.

Are you glad you decided to go with a tour or do you think you would have rather rented a car?

Phyllis, Do you know what hours the tour runs and if they pick up from cruise ship? Marilyn

Yes, they pick up at the ship in Kahului. My email said 8:05 so they're expecting you to get straight off the ship as soon as it docks. I'm guessing the "free breakfast"advertised on their website is not for ship people. ??? Because of traffic & road conditions they estimate you'll be back between 4:30 and 5:30, with the stop for lunch (hot lunch included).

vie@maui.net

I would stay with Valley Isle...:)

Hey West Maui,

Would you please answer my other post about our second day in Maui? Should be high up in the HI board since I just pleaded for a response. It concerns combining a trip to Lahaina and the Iao Needle and which order to do it.

Re Hana: We don't want to drive it so we can watch the scenery not the traffic. I'm getting concerned for the warnings that say don't do the tour if you have a bad back or bad joints, are pregnant, etc. though. 5 miles of rock road would be pretty jarring! West Maui, let's hear your opinion.

Also, do you know this Ekahi group who have never answered any email?Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hey West Maui,

Would you please answer my other post about our second day in Maui? Should be high up in the HI board since I just pleaded for a response. It concerns combining a trip to Lahaina and the Iao Needle and which order to do it.

Re Hana: We don't want to drive it so we can watch the scenery not the traffic. I'm getting concerned for the warnings that say don't do the tour if you have a bad back or bad joints, are pregnant, etc. though. 5 miles of rock road would be pretty jarring! West Maui, let's hear your opinion.

Hey West Maui,

Aloha, Phyllis,

Sorry, I've not been on the Boards for a bit and missed your questions till now.The back bridge is closed again right now, due to rockfall clearing near it. It's impossible to predict on any given day whether the road around the backside will be open or not........sorry, one of the joys of living in Hawaii Nei! The back road is rough, but if you are on a better tour they have good vans and don't go through the potholes at high speed:eek:.

I always recommended a tour for Hana, due to the reasons you mention. If one only wants to go "partway", I used to show guests a good 'halfway' point to stop. That is another option.

I am not in the tourism business anymore (since late 2007), so I can't answer your q about Ekahi. It was once a great company, but I did use Valley Isle more than any others my last several years in business.

Hey West Maui,

Aloha, Phyllis,

Sorry, I've not been on the Boards for a bit and missed your questions till now.The back bridge is closed again right now, due to rockfall clearing near it. It's impossible to predict on any given day whether the road around the backside will be open or not........sorry, one of the joys of living in Hawaii Nei! The back road is rough, but if you are on a better tour they have good vans and don't go through the potholes at high speed:eek:.

I always recommended a tour for Hana, due to the reasons you mention. If one only wants to go "partway", I used to show guests a good 'halfway' point to stop. That is another option.

I am not in the tourism business anymore (since late 2007), so I can't answer your q about Ekahi. It was once a great company, but I did use Valley Isle more than any others my last several years in business.

Aloha,

I worked with all the tour companies you named during my 12 years of owning an activity desk here in Maui. First, do you mean "Kipahulu" in your posts? That's the area near the Pools of O'heo (misnamed the "Seven Sacred Pools"). It's also near the church where Charles Lindbergh is buried.

Second, any tour may not be able to "go all the way around" the back side, due to construction and bridge issues. However, Valley Isle was always very honest and straight up about that, and I found my guests enjoyed their guides and tours very much.

Hope this helps!

We drove all the way around on June 10th. the bridge was open, but before Hana they are stopping traffic both ways for up to 30 minutes at a time due to construction.

4 years ago we went with Valley isle and were very satisfied.

Since the beginning of July, there have been complete closures of the road, usually from around 11 AM to about 3 or 3:30 PM, on weekdays. It was to end by July 15th.....but....

Last week, the County announced a revised road work schedule. It will continue to close the Road entirely for portions of most days, and do the alternating traffic/one lane method as well throughout the weekdays. Right now, the County says it will last thru 07/31...but I wouldn't bet on that being the end!;)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the excursion with the ship on July 20 and on that day the road was completely open. There were crews working on 2 different areas, but the longest we were stopped was about 10 minutes. Most of the road past Hana was extremely rough, but it was a great excursion.

We did the tour with Valley Isle and loved it. Small, very comfortable bus....especially on the bumpy road part!! I think the bus holds 12 peope but we only had 8 on the tour. Our tour guide was Tim and he was incredible - you felt more like a friend taking you around to see the sights than a tour guide. He was warm and gracious and even took pictures for everyone at all the scenic sites so that we could be in the photo. Great stories and information.

The road was open when we went (July 12) but Tim did mention problems with rocks falling, etc and work being done

Although they do mention breakfast I think it is more for land-based people but Tim did check to make sure we had already had breakfast - I'm sure he would have taken us there if we had not. Lunch was a nice picnic style lunch - chicken breast, macaroni salad, tossed salad, rolls and beverages....oh, I think there was something for dessert, too.

A great tour that I would highly recommend.

Marilyn,

When are you sailing?

Really sorry Phyliss, just saw your question now. We are sailing on 8/8 POA. What about you? Or have you already gone at this point? I did book Valley Isle, glad to hear good reports. Now just have to hope for good weather. Marilyn

Really sorry Phyliss, just saw your question now. We are sailing on 8/8 POA. What about you? Or have you already gone at this point? I did book Valley Isle, glad to hear good reports. Now just have to hope for good weather. Marilyn

This weekend! Have fun.

No, we haven't been yet. We start our trip on Thanksgiving day (after cooking the meal).

Please write a very detailed review for us when you return. You know how other people's opinions help each of us make decisions. Thanks for responding. Our roll call is too small, and was hoping you might be with us!

In one of my earlier posts I listed Valley Isle's email contact but it did not show up in blue so some may have missed it:

vie@maui.net

I will definitely post a review when I return. I just hope the weather is Ok the reports are not very good for this next week. I just have to hope that it all works. Have been saving and waiting for this trip for about 25 years.

will post when I get back. Marilyn

Archived