Nice DSLR camera on snorkeling excursions

yellowsnow

I leave on the Carnival Glory tomorrow. I am bringing my nice camera and want to get some good photos everywhere I go. While on the ship I imagine it shouldn't be a big deal to have the camera with me, even for certain types of excursion like visiting mayan ruins and stuff.

However, we are going on a tour that involves snorkeling in Cozumel as well as dune buggies so I want to take the camera for sure but I am not sure what I can do with it so I can actually get in the water and snorkel when the time comes :confused:

For that specific tour, does anyone know if there is a way to lock your stuff?? where?? Can things like this be left with the tour operator?? Can I trust them that much?

I leave on the Carnival Glory tomorrow. I am bringing my nice camera and want to get some good photos everywhere I go. While on the ship I imagine it shouldn't be a big deal to have the camera with me, even for certain types of excursion like visiting mayan ruins and stuff.

However, we are going on a tour that involves snorkeling in Cozumel as well as dune buggies so I want to take the camera for sure but I am not sure what I can do with it so I can actually get in the water and snorkel when the time comes :confused:

For that specific tour, does anyone know if there is a way to lock your stuff?? where?? Can things like this be left with the tour operator?? Can I trust them that much?

Normally there will not be any place to lock up your camera. Depending on the type of vehicle used for the tour, it may be lockable or one of the tour guides may stay with it. In that case, I personally would not have a problem leaving the camera behind.

That said, for snorkeling excursions I take a Canon S60 with waterproof housing and leave my DSLR on board. Total cost for the S60 and housing was around $350 but for me well worth it.

You can also purchase throwaway underwater cameras good down to about 10 feet. Most folks that have used them have been pleased with the pictures. They are film cameras however so you will need to have them developed.

Cheers,

I am also bringing a disposable underwater camera to take underwater, but I still want to take my DSLR to take pictures of the scenery. I have used those disposable underwater cameras and know they are good for a couple of candid shots underwater but otherwise I need my better camera. I wish I had an underwater casing, lucky you! Unfortunately my camera is a Canon t1i, which just came out and the only underwater case I could find for it was over $1200. Maybe next trip it'll be cheaper and then I'll definately include more scuba diving/snorkeling in my trip.

I'll try to contact the tour operators and ask, but I am afraid they'll just say to leave it with them when I go in the water and I won't trust them :/

It would just be so easy for them to even stage a theft or something and then no one will pay me back for my camera, I am sure. Plus is just the kind of thing that can ruin your whole trip.

Knock on wood - we have never had an issue with personal belongings, including some nice camera/video gear.

If snorkeling from a boat - take a backpack/divebag/etc and then put the camera in its own small bag and then leave in the backpack, under the seat, etc. If the 'crowd' or crew makes a little voice go off, leave the camera out of site, until 'after' you get back on after snorkeling and photo on the way back. If snorkeling from a beach, that is a harder decision. Go with safety in numbers, and place you bag (camera unseen) along with others.

For a ATV/dunebuggy ride, I would again use a backpack or camera-specific bag. Dust is a killer.

Here is a bag similar to what I have...http://www.adorama.com/TR5766BL.html

I don't have one, but some like the concept of locking their bag to something...http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php

SLRs are common place it seems, unless you have some major lenses. So you wont stand out too much in terms of a target. But I would leave the highend S series lenses on the ship, unless I had a private tour.

Keep a copy of any serial #s if you have some good equipment. if it is lost in an honest mixup or misplacement - they can come in handy.

See the Photo section here at CC for more tidbits. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Either you risk it for the shots or you use the disposable and be satisfied with the results. I've often-time left my DSLR behind because it just wasn't practical to bring (cave tubing, snorkeling, etc). As others have said, you not only have to worry about thieves, but also water, dirt, and even condensation.

I have been extremely happy with my Olympus 770SW that I bought last year. The latest version is the 1030SW. There's a number of similar models but I prefer the one rated to 10 metres underwater.

Yes, it's not a DSLR, but it's a pretty capable point-and-shoot and much better than disposable cameras. You can search around on Flickr or wherever for real-world sample images.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you like; I'm happy to go on and on about it...

Cheers,

Roger

Archived