Azura's got a ducktail

tom_uk

Azura was floated out today, apparently, and CruiseCritic was there and reported from the event: see here.

It's clear from the limited photos so far that Azura has a ducktail, the first and only one of the Grand Princess class so equipped. I'd heard about this some weeks ago, but here's the confirmation. No-one seems absolutely clear as to why she has has to have one - after all, neither of Ventura or Ruby Princess, her most recently-delivered siblings do - but the most common suggestion is that it's to do with the new 'probabilistic damage stability regulations' that form part of SOLAS 2010. Azura won't be delivered until after the new regs are in force.

Many thanks for this post. Was only looking at the new brochure tonight and pictures of the Azura. We are on her in just under a year - 9th June, and are getting very excited. Now also know what a duck tail is, have heard it mentioned before, but now understand exactly what it looks like, although have no idea what it does.

Perhaps it is just the camera's perspective, but the "ducktail" on Azura looks much smaller than that fitted to Celebrity's new Equinox.

When I saw pictures of her, I immediately thought of a duck-billed platypus.

Perhaps it is just the camera's perspective, but the "ducktail" on Azura looks much smaller than that fitted to Celebrity's new Equinox.

When I saw pictures of her, I immediately thought of a duck-billed platypus.

Yes, the ducktails on the Solstice-class ships are quite a considerable size. If you go to Ship Parade, then select 'Ship Alphabet' and look for 'Celebrity Solstice' there are a quite a few pictures that display it clearly.

I gather that one adds bouyancy and also stability, and of course the Solstice ships are very high. But the interesting thing is that it's been decided that the new regulations require one on the 12th (?) and last Grand Princess class ship.

I'm not sure about a covered pool: it all depends on her general itineraries. If we assume that Azura could spend anything up to 5 months in the Caribbean (October to March/April), and then (in future years) concentrates on Med cruises, with perhaps the occasional mid-summer baltic cruise thrown in; in other words, doesn't do many Fjords/Arctic Circle/Iberian Coast/British Isles/English Channel cruises; then arguably an uncovered pool won't be too much of a problem.

Obviously they've decided that MutS is worth more than the covered pool. My understanding is that the equipment for the sliding roof would preclude MutS.

Another notable change, I was looking at a hi-res pic of the stern of Azura on P&O's site and noticed that although it does say Hamilton on the back, the letters Southampton are welded underneath, meaning that once she is in service, she will apparently be registered in Southampton, unlike the rest of the fleet.

Just took a look at the celebrity solstice its the ugliest ship Ive ever seen. Dosn't have any grace I think its the multitude of balcony cabins what spoils it,only my humble opinion would be nice to here other peoples views on it.xx

A ducktail is an addition to the stern of a ship to aid stability.

On the question of MUTS or covered pools. The interesting thing is that the Grand, Golden and Star Princess ships all have MUTS and a covered pool, so it cant be a problem with space for the gear. The big difference between the Ventura, Azura and the other ships is the extra deck, so perhaps it is more a question of weight / stability so could be a case of MUTS or covered pool but not both. Personally would much prefer a covered pool.

Richardj

Archived