Best Way to Get To Buck Island from Cruise Port?

BroncosFan2010

Hi Islander

that's another thing I worry about with the cruise ship tour...I don't see any reference to actual time on Buck Island. I wonder if they only do the marked underwater trail and head back? Now I'm wondering about Cane Bay instead. Can I get a snorkel tour from Cane Bay Dive Shop and how does what I'll see while snorkeling compare to Buck Island?

-Phil

I am interested mostly in snorkeling, I really don't enjoy just laying on the beach. DH and I are very active people and we don't do well with just sitting around! I am also hoping that the cruise ship tour would have enough time to do the snorkel trail in its entirety.

cheffip - not sure how the cruise ship trip to Buck Island works as far as stopping or not stopping on the island itself. You may want to check with the cruise ship excursion people/desk or look into booking this trip on your own.

Cane Bay has good snorkeling not far from the shore. Nice beach too. I don't know if Cane Bay Dive Shop offers snorkeling tours, you can contact them to check: http://www.canebayscuba.com/.

--Islander

cheffip - not sure how the cruise ship trip to Buck Island works as far as stopping or not stopping on the island itself. You may want to check with the cruise ship excursion people/desk or look into booking this trip on your own.

Cane Bay has good snorkeling not far from the shore. Nice beach too. I don't know if Cane Bay Dive Shop offers snorkeling tours, you can contact them to check: http://www.canebayscuba.com/.

--Islander

Thanks Islander. Still debating between the options and yes, Cane Bay Dive Shop does do snorkel tours. One concern I've read is that Cane Bay is sometimes too choppy for snorkeling due to north winds. I'm going to be there Feb 1. From your experience should the water be calm enough for snorkeling then?

Hard to say. Swells can occur at any time of the year. We do get more wave action at some northshore beaches during winter & early spring months; November through March. However its not necessarily every day or constant. If there are waves it does make snorkeling difficult as far as swimming along but also because it tends to stir up the sand making visiability poor. For concerns on sea conditions effecting an excursion I'd say ask the tour operators about it and also about their cancelation policy in regard to weather/sea conditions.

--Islander

Hard to say. Swells can occur at any time of the year. We do get more wave action at some northshore beaches during winter & early spring months; November through March. However its not necessarily every day or constant. If there are waves it does make snorkeling difficult as far as swimming along but also because it tends to stir up the sand making visiability poor. For concerns on sea conditions effecting an excursion I'd say ask the tour operators about it and also about their cancelation policy in regard to weather/sea conditions.

--Islander

Thanks Islander...let me ask you a question that I've asked on another thread...Cane Bay Dive offers a snorkel tour for $25. Will that get me "more" than going in from shore on my own? eg will it save me a long swim to the wall etc? I'm wondering about your comments on visibility and wonder if the excursion would go to deeper water where the visibility would be better or are the waves larger further out?

Do you have a description of the Cane Bay Snorkel Tour... specifically do you swim to the snorkeling area or take a boat, are you snorkeling near shore from Cane Bay Beach or are you going out to the wall. How long? I am not familiar with the tour or where they take you. I looked on their website for a description but didn't find one.

--Islander

Do you have a description of the Cane Bay Snorkel Tour... specifically do you swim to the snorkeling area or take a boat, are you snorkeling near shore from Cane Bay Beach or are you going out to the wall. How long? I am not familiar with the tour or where they take you. I looked on their website for a description but didn't find one.

--Islander

I have the impression I would go out in the boat with the divers and then just snorkel near the wall but I need to confirm. I think I will give them a call.

• 4 weeks later...

The cab fare to Chrstd is $12 a piece round trip just did it ask for Derrick at the taxi booth at end of pier they give you a ticket to hold onto for your prepaid return trip . We loved Big Beard's tour ask for the Renegade with Kaitlan . She really worked hard to make sure every one was happy and comfortable . They go over and above with nice small tours ! There are other operators there as well but have only done Big Beards and would absolutely use them again! We like small tours were you get to know everyone . Have fun! Ted

The cab fare to Chrstd is $12 a piece round trip just did it ask for Derrick at the taxi booth at end of pier they give you a ticket to hold onto for your prepaid return trip . We loved Big Beard's tour ask for the Renegade with Kaitlan . She really worked hard to make sure every one was happy and comfortable . They go over and above with nice small tours ! There are other operators there as well but have only done Big Beards and would absolutely use them again! We like small tours were you get to know everyone . Have fun! Ted

Thanks for for the info!

Archived