Question for Tee Harbor

Mrs007

You mentioned on another thread about some sightseeing over on Douglas Island. Could you tell me how much time we should allow to explore Douglas and Sandy Beach and time to drive out North Douglas Hwy for the Mendenhall Glacier views.

Also, can you tell me if there are locals who could do the driving for us? I don't really want to "keep my eyes on the road". I know the set taxi rate is $50 hour, but was wondering if any of the area residents do stuff like this on the side.

We would also like to get out to Chapel by the Lake and Mendenhall as well as tour Douglas Island. We aren't going until May 2010.

Linda

You mentioned on another thread about some sightseeing over on Douglas Island. Could you tell me how much time we should allow to explore Douglas and Sandy Beach and time to drive out North Douglas Hwy for the Mendenhall Glacier views.

I did reply in the other thread, but it got kind of lost in there with the flying insults:

Douglas is literally five minutes from downtown Juneau, but unfortunately, the car rentals are in the Valley, which means getting out there and back.

Rent-a-Wreck has cars for under $100 for the day--all depends on supply and car size, but I rented a minivan last year for $70. However, apparently they've changed their policy where you could drop the car off downtown, which really would work with seeing Douglas and then returning it by your ship.

The other rental companies are the national chains at the airport in the Valley and don't pick you up or drop you off as RAW does. The Valley is about 15-20 minutes away from the docks and a $25 cab ride, or 40 minutes on the city bus.

Douglas/Sandy Beach is about 10 minutes from the bridge, but North Douglas Hwy is a longer drive, at least 30 minutes each way with no stops. There's also nothing out there, besides a port-a-potty here and there for fishermen, while Douglas has a couple of cafes, a gas station and two quick stop shops and large restrooms at the beach.

Also, can you tell me if there are locals who could do the driving for us? I don't really want to "keep my eyes on the road". I know the set taxi rate is $50 hour, but was wondering if any of the area residents do stuff like this on the side.

We would also like to get out to Chapel by the Lake and Mendenhall as well as tour Douglas Island. We aren't going until May 2010.

You know, this may be a better idea, particularly if you don't want to do the driving yourself. I'd contact M&M Tours. I've heard good things about them here, and a friend suggested I try getting a job with them, so they've got to be decent people. ;) Although it looks like they're doing some tour brokering now, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, they will still do custom tours. They'd be an option with a trained guide.

The taxi rate, I thought, was more like $70 an hour, so I'd check with a company before making my final choice. It's not going to be a guide, but Juneau cabbies can be pretty fun!

I don't know anything about either company: http://juneaulimo.com/default.aspx or http://www.juneaujeep.com/ but they do custom tours too.

I'd say you can do Douglas Island in about three hours, but going all the way out to the Shrine is another hour and half, at least, and the glacier is on the way, but that add some time too. To do it all would be a good day.

You'd never believe we only have 100 miles of road to hear these times, but with no freeways, and only one bridge between Douglas Island and the mainland, travel times are longer.

Archived