cabin space and storage

I am packing here for my July 5th Mariner of the Seas 7 night. Five days, yippee!! We are new to cruising. There will be four of us (2 adults and 2 tweens) in a quad cabin, and I am wondering about luggage space. We have 4 suitcases. Are there places to store the suitcases in the room? Are there drawers and plenty of hangers to hang clothes? My friend bought a great over the door fold-up shelf-unit (best way to describe it) for her son to go to camp. It is basically for toiletries, etc. Would this be an ideal item for the room?

I am packing here for my July 5th Mariner of the Seas 7 night. Five days, yippee!! We are new to cruising. There will be four of us (2 adults and 2 tweens) in a quad cabin, and I am wondering about luggage space. We have 4 suitcases. Are there places to store the suitcases in the room? Are there drawers and plenty of hangers to hang clothes? My friend bought a great over the door fold-up shelf-unit (best way to describe it) for her son to go to camp. It is basically for toiletries, etc. Would this be an ideal item for the room?

Put the luggage under the bed.

You will have about 6 drawers and a closet (hangers are in there)

Put the over-the-door shelf unit on the back of the bathroom door

Just home from our Liberty cruise...just my DH and I, and I noticed we did not need the over the door hold all...and the hangers were aplenty!!

However, seeing as how there are 4 of you...I would bring it for sure..it's a life saver for 3 or more people. (usually our daughter is in our cabin and we bring it all the time). We always store our suitcases under the bed, we have suiters and small carry on's. There is room in the closet floor for luggage as well. Drawer space is somewhat limited for 4, but there are shelves in the closet, as well as little drawers in the side tables of the bed. It will work!!

Happy cruising :)

edited to say: Just ask for more hangers from your attendant if you need more ...

On one of our cruises we had luggage 'squirreled away" in different locations. Our steward asked if we'd like for her to store it for us. She did, we were happy, she got a nice tip. If they don't offer, it can't hurt to ask.

Soft sided works well, too anything that would collapse and fit under the bed.

There is also storage behind the mirror on each side of the big mirror on the vanity, and shelves above the television. Haven't been on the Mariner, but all our other RCCL cabins have had shelves in the closet too. In the bathroom, one side of the mirror will have storage behind it.

I find that tucking everything away when it is not in use keeps the cabin neater looking and easier for the steward to clean. I think clutter makes it look smaller.

That would be worth a nice tip to store the suitcases! My "over the door" from the container store was made for bunk beds. There are velcro straps that wrap around a plank of wood etc. Would this work in the bathroom? Not sure what it would attach to.

That would be worth a nice tip to store the suitcases! My "over the door" from the container store was made for bunk beds. There are velcro straps that wrap around a plank of wood etc. Would this work in the bathroom? Not sure what it would attach to.

no...you willneed one that has "hooks" that can go over the bathroom door. (hang it on the outside of the door, there should be 3 hooks on the inside door). I purchased mine at Target, but Walmart etc... has them as well.

I think the velcro might work - there are 2 hooks outside the bathroom across from the closet (beside the door to the cabin) and you should be able to loop the velcro around these hooks, and have it hanging on the wall. It won't be in the way there either.

As far as hangers go, we didn't have enough for 2 people, and we folded and stored whatever we could on the shelves around the room and in the closet. We ended up hanging up to 4 things per hanger. I'm sure you could get more from your cabin steward, or alternatively, you could bring some cheap wire ones from the dry cleaners.

Also something we didn't notice until our last day once our stuff was packed - there are 2 extra hanging bars in the closet that flip down from the wall if you need them for pants or short items.

Just make sure to use all of the storage spaces in the room - the night-tables have a drawer and an empty space underneath for storage, the closet has shelves, there are mirrored cabinets on either side of the desk, drawers in the desk, shelves above the TV and beside the desk, a cabinet in the washroom, space under the sink, etc. The room will look tiny when you walk in and start unpacking, but once you find everything a "home" and keep things put away, there is enough storage.

I'm not sure what the fold up shelf unit looks like but it sounds bulky. I bring an over the door shoe organizer and hang it inside the bathroom door. The "pockets" are great for storing just about anything and seems like it might be less bulky than the shelf unit. You might hang the shelf unit in the closet but I'm not sure how much room that might take up. You may be able to hang the straps on the hooks inside the bathroom door.

I personally have found when its just DH & I in the cabin, we have no need for the over the door hanger.

But when we cruised with the kids in the cabin we definitely needed it. With 4 in the cabin, organization is KEY or it will drive you crazy!

We are on the same sailing as you, if you havent already, come to the Roll Call and learn where the sailaway get together it. Its quite an active roll call. Sounds like about a hundred people have signed up for the Meet and Mingle.

See you Sunday!!

The "over the door" designed for a bunkbed is not bulky at all, and folds up nice in the suitcase. It might not work looping the velcro through the hooks though. I might run down to Target, but it looks like most of their organizers are "shoe organizers" rather than "shelves". Walmart looks like it has one that would be ok, but quite out of the way. I will continue my search, and any more suggestions you might have would be great!

no...you willneed one that has "hooks" that can go over the bathroom door. (hang it on the outside of the door, there should be 3 hooks on the inside door). I purchased mine at Target, but Walmart etc... has them as well.

If it works on your standard hinged closet door (not sliding or bi-fold), it should work on the ship. The ship doors are thinner and shorter, and metal (so you could use strong magnets to secure it).

You can also check out "bed, bath and beyond" (I believe in the 'beyond' department :D:eek::D)

As far as hangers go, we didn't have enough for 2 people, and we folded and stored whatever we could on the shelves around the room and in the closet. We ended up hanging up to 4 things per hanger. I'm sure you could get more from your cabin steward, or alternatively, you could bring some cheap wire ones from the dry cleaners.

Don't bother bringing your own hangers - just ask the cabin attendant for more if you need them.

Don't bother bringing your own hangers - just ask the cabin attendant for more if you need them.

I actually packed some dresses on hangers and just folded them over in the top of my suitcase and it was really easy to unpack - just hang the hangers. It also kept my dresses from getting too too wrinkled.

Archived