12/3 Spirit 9-Day Sailing

platterb

Boy, I wish we were still sailing and am envious of those who just left Friday. But did want to let those who are planning on sailing on the Spirit in the near future, we were very pleased with the overall experience. This was our 6th NCL cruise and it actually exceeded our expectations. So here's a few comments/tips:

Ship: The Spirit is well maintained and the unusual decor was nice for a change.

Cabins: We had a balcony on Deck 10 forward (10016), situated between the suites. Personally, we like the front because when leaving the sliding glass door open in the evening, nothing is as soothing as to listening to the sound of the ship moving though the waves. The cabin stewards were great but we figured they would be because they are the same ones assigned to the suites. The bathroom design is the best of any ship we have sailed. The balcony was small, but didn't deter from our enjoyment. The only negative was the lack of storage space (drawers/cabinets).

Food Service: I'm sure you know by now that the Spirit was not designed for the American market (no kitchen facility on Deck 12) and as a result, Raffles Buffet is not to same standard as other ships. But, the staff made several efforts to accomodate. Out on Raffles Terrace, omelet stations are available for breakfast and barbeques and deli options are available for lunch.

Dining Rooms: Alot of people preferred the Garden because it is smaller and it had less vibration. But we generally ate in the Windows since we never had to wait to be seated. And, most of the time we were able to sit at a table for two that are situated next to the windows.

The overall food quality was quite good as was the service. Except for the last night, dinner never took more that an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. We did eat with another couple one night, and still the service was very good, maybe only adding an extra 10 minutes or so.

Speciality: We ate at the Italian and Le Bistro. The Italian one does charge extra but the dinner was so-so. Le Bistro was very good.

Tip: Shortly after 10:00pm each night, the dining rooms put out the menu for the next evening. That's how I determined what night we ate at one of the Specialities instead. Sunday, it was Cocina Latina which seemed to have Cuban dishes that I didn't see anything I was particularly interested in. Same thing for Thursday's, Star Spangled Banner. Would have thought the menu options would have been more traditional but there were 3 fish dishes.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, just let me know

That's a coincidence, we are also booked in cabin 10016! sailing 21st Jan 2005 for 17 days. We mainly chose that cabin because of the lifts nearby for my Dad, we would have liked a suite (who wouldn't) but they are booked. Staying overnight in Miami after flight from Manchester (UK) Glad you enjoyed your holiday

Sue

Archived