2 questions helmut dive and island tour

Sabeaux

Hi all I am going to Bermuda , for the first time, on the NCL Dawn in beginning of August...I am very interested in going on the Hartley's Helmut dive....was a little bit concerned about how it would be if you were a little claustrophobic...anybody have that problem who has gone down? How was it? I really want to go and don't want that little problem to stop me..but figured CC could help...anyone have a negative dive? Also since it's the first time I will be in Bermuda I would like to tour the island...anyone know of a good tour to go on so that I can see the most. Thanks for all the help!

Hello. I was also a little worried about doing the helmet dive but I was so excited about seeing what was "down under" that we booked it. When I first went down off the ladder and dropped to the bottom, which is only like 20 feet, if that, I felt anxious for about 5 seconds. I was holding my breathe as it was automatic for me that when I was underwater you hold your breathe. But once I took that first breathe and realized it was just like being on land and I could breathe, I had no problems at all. I relaxed and started taking it all in. We were down about 20 minutes, but it went so fast it only seemed like 10 minutes. So make the most of your time and see as much as you can. I had an underwater camera and I was taking pictures of our gang under the water more then I was looking around. I would let the picture taking up to Hartleys and just enjoy your time seeing as much as you can as it does go by so fast.

We go to Bermuda once a year by cruise..and the best time we had was when we did a taxi tour. We had VIP Taxi Service. He was great...clean van, friendly and funny. This was a few years ago, we paid $40.00 for 4 people per hour. So that was only $10.00 an hour each and well worth every cent. We ended up staying with him for 8 hours and we saw and experienced every inch of Bermuda. If you want to check out the tours, we used the Bermuda Yellow Pages for them. The website is http://www.informationpages.com/sys/pageserver.dll?b=41&p=0&s=-8&f=&k=&go=taxi+tour

My Wife and I did a helmet dive last year in Aruba. It was great. My wife is very...very claustrophobic, she also has a bad heart and asthma. I didn't want her to do it but she insisted. 2 years ago we tried scuba diving and she ended up bailing out. So she wanted to give this a try. She did fantastic. She had no problems what so ever. She loved it. She said that she too was a little anxious at first but it passed quickly and she did great. You can reach up under the helmet and touch you face, your hair or face never gets wet. I think if she can do it anybody can. She can't even be in a crowded area where people are real close she freaks out and can't breath. The helmet dive didn't bother her at all. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did the Hartley's Helmet Dive last week in Bermuda. Loved it!

I did freak a bit right after going under the water with the helmet on, didn't want to freak on the bottom so went back up ladder and Greg's son Ben quickly lifted the helmet off to see what was up. Greg was also right by my side to see what my concerns were.

I'm not usually claustrophobic but was doing this. Along with Greg's daughter Sandy, they explained to me to focus on what is outside the helmet, pass the glass. After a few breaths to calm myself I tried again. No problem at all that time, looking past the glass was the key.

Excellent dive, awesome fish, coral, pictures by Greg, Greg points to fish and other stuff with labeled sticks so you know what is there. Just the best time.

A young boy on our trip complained off ear pressure. Again, all three Hartley's were very kind, caring and helpful so that he was successful in making the dive.

Bravo to the Hartley's for caring about their customers and making such excellent memories for us all.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Also, we used the bus and ferry passes, $20 per person for a 2 day pass.

We were docked in St. George's so used the 40 min ferry to Dockyard to get to the helmet dive. Rode the bus back that night to Hamilton, then another bus to St. George's.

Buses are an excellent way to see the island and meet locals. Every local we encountered on the island were friendly and welcoming and helpful. And funny... they love to laugh... probably due to living in paradise!

Huge Thank you to Lewis, our carriage driver in St. George's. He was warm, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Bravo for a job well done Lewis!

A taxi ride from Horseshoe Bay to Alexandra Battery Beach, $42 + tip, saved a lot of time on our last night so we could collect beach glass before walking to the ship just after sunset. We felt totally safe in the area between the dock and this beach while walking. And so beautiful and warm!

Enjoy your trip, I know you will.

Archived