Driving time July 4th Bay area to San Pedro

homeinca

We will be on the Mariner for the July 5th cruising out of San Pedro. We will be driving down the day before, and staying overnight at San Pedro. We live in the East Bay of San Francisco. Any suggestions on when we should leave in the morning. I was thinking about leaving about 7a, but perhaps we'll hit the holiday traffic. Maybe if we leave about 10a, most people will already be at their destinations. Or, is it just a bad traffic day overall that I can't avoid:confused:. Any one else doing this?

We will be on the Mariner for the July 5th cruising out of San Pedro. We will be driving down the day before, and staying overnight at San Pedro. We live in the East Bay of San Francisco. Any suggestions on when we should leave in the morning. I was thinking about leaving about 7a, but perhaps we'll hit the holiday traffic. Maybe if we leave about 10a, most people will already be at their destinations. Or, is it just a bad traffic day overall that I can't avoid:confused:. Any one else doing this?

Holiday travel is noticeably busier. However it should be somewhat better on the 4th than the days before and after.

If you leave at 7:00 it will be quite a bit less than at 10:00. If you really want to avoid traffic start out at 5:00 or earlier.

Hello,

We are from East Bay as well. We typically head down south once or twice per year on our pilgrimage to the house of mouse. From my experience, the earlier you leave, the better off you are. The traffic problem you will encounter is on the Southern CA end, not from the bay area end.

There should be no traffic to speak early Saturday morning of as you head eastward on 580 toward the Altamont Pass heading southbound on 5. At about the 4 plus hour point of the trip, there’s a decent food selection around the Button willow area. Good place for lunch and gas fill up as the prices are pretty good compared to other stops.

If you are on this pace (depends on how fast you drive), it should get you to outside of San Fernando area around 1 PM. Then when you connect to 405 south, you will likely encounter traffic jam around the UCLA area as that is typically a bottle neck starts. Then it will clear up as you get close to LAX and barring any accidents on 405, you should be in San Pedro soon after.

Hello,

Having driven from Northern California to Southern California and vice versa many times, my advice is to leave your home as early as possible. If you are on the road by 5:00 AM, there is comparatively little traffic. And you will go over the grapevine before the really heavy traffic. Further, you will be off the road in San Pedro by 3:00 PM or before.

Listen to Uncle Freddie on this!

Have a great cruise.

I have only done the NoCal to SoCal run once on July 4th and had no issues (and I left at 8:00 AM from SF.) with regard to traffic.

As you are going the day before your cruise, I will speculate that Karma will be on your side ;) and the trip will not be problematic in any regard.

That said, here is my system for the southbound version of this run:

Before you leave make sure the gas tank is full.

Grab a cup of coffee and head toward the 580 - 5 split, where you will merge into 5 and go to LA.

Where 5 merges into hwy 99 you will see many stops for fuel both for your vehicle and yourself. At this point, I am usually at the time where I need fuel for the car, myself (the second cup of coffee) and want to hit the mens room. This may be a good break point for you.

Then its off to the Grapevine and (in your case) a trip down 405 and 110 to San Pedro.

The reverse is similar except the fuel stop will happen before the 5 - 280 interchange.

Enjoy the trip.

Why would you want to use the 405? It's a permanent mess - the eternal construction in West LA stops things (often) all the way from Brentwood (or even Sepulveda Pass) past LAX. If you're coming down I-5 just stay on I-5 through downtown and connect to the LB freeway (or the Harbor) and skip the whole 405 crud. Downtown ought to be a piece of cake on the holiday compared to the SD Fwy.

Hello,

I -5 to 170 Hollywood Freeway which becomes the 101) into downtown Los Angeles and then take the 110 (Harbor Frewway) to San Pedro.

There will always be lots of traffic but this is probably the best way.

Fred

I've done the drive from Berkeley to the San Pedro area dozens of times. Typically it takes about 6 1/2 hours or so, given the LA traffic and one stop for gas/ food. I'd imagine traffic wouldn't be horrendous, as another poster mentioned previously that it would likely be more busy on Friday or Sunday.

I think 7 am would be a prefectly reasonable time to leave. Unfortunately, even on a Saturday afternoon, there will likely be traffic on the 405. Taking 5 to the 110 South is a perfectly viable option, especially on a Saturday.

Hello,

I -5 to 170 Hollywood Freeway which becomes the 101) into downtown Los Angeles and then take the 110 (Harbor Frewway) to San Pedro.

There will always be lots of traffic but this is probably the best way.

Fred

I live in LA and too was very confused as to why anybody would be on the 405? Follow everybody's directions down the 5 and you will be much better off.

O.k. I will take I-5 to 170 Hollywood Fwy, which becomes 101 into downtown L.A. and then 110 to San Pedro.

Unfortunately, we had a situation where we can't leave until about 4p (from bay area). So, we will follow the above advise on directions and get there hopefully by midnight!

Thanks again for the clarification. Glad I read it!!:D

the traffic leaving the bay area can be hell on a holiday..if you get a late start you could be sitting in traffic from Pleasanton to Tracy..

the traffic on I-5 should be light..

the wife is heading down to Torrance at 6AM from Tracy sunday morning for a 4PM wedding..they plan to be there by noon..

O.k. I will take I-5 to 170 Hollywood Fwy, which becomes 101 into downtown L.A. and then 110 to San Pedro.

Unfortunately, we had a situation where we can't leave until about 4p (from bay area). So, we will follow the above advise on directions and get there hopefully by midnight!

Thanks again for the clarification. Glad I read it!!:D

Hello,

Make absolutely sure that you have a full tank of gas as you enter into the greater Los Angeles area. The route we have given you is for the daytime as some of the areas you will be going through are not the safest. You do not want to be looking for gas stations off of the Harbor Freeway (110) at night. I understand that millions of very law abiding people live here but sadly so do others who are not.

Further, the I 405's traffic does decrease at night so you can go this way without any problems.

Archived