Car seat in taxi - Miami and Caribbean ports

renchow

If we bring a car seat with us, would taxis from the Miami airport be willing to install it for the ride to the Cruise Terminal? In fact, are they required to use one when driving an infant?

Has anyone had experience with using their car seats in taxis at ports in the Caribbean (we're specifically going to Samana, St. Thomas, Tortola)? I read various posts re: whether or not to bring a car seat and am just wondering a) if the taxis at these ports are equipped with the seat belts so we can install the car seat, and b) if the taxi drivers are happy/willing to use them? Was it a pain to carry the car seat around once you're off the taxi at your destination?

If anyone opted *not* to bring their car seat, then what modes of transport did you use from Miami airport to the Cruise Terminal, and at the ports? i.e., taxi anyway? or other means?

Thanks!

We brought a sit n stroll and used it in taxis in San Juan, St Thomas, etc as well as on vans for tours in Grenada, Dominican Republic, etc. Even when there was no seatbelt we felt dd was safer riding in that than on our laps. It made getting through the airport easier, fit down the aisle of the airplane and right into the airplane seat. We also brought a Kelty backpack stroller for ports with a lot of walking.

In Miami, yes they are required to wait while you install one. When getting a taxi at the airport, we were actually asked by the taxi controller (desk at the airport) "Where is your car seat?" I turned around cause I had it strapped over my shoulder...lol. ;)

Have I ever seen someone come here and say they were denied a ride in a taxi because they didn't have a car seat in Miami...no. But it really is safer, obviously.

And in the Caribbean, I just look for a taxi with seat belts and wave on the ones without.

In Miami, yes they are required to wait while you install one. When getting a taxi at the airport, we were actually asked by the taxi controller (desk at the airport) "Where is your car seat?" I turned around cause I had it strapped over my shoulder...lol. ;)

Have I ever seen someone come here and say they were denied a ride in a taxi because they didn't have a car seat in Miami...no. But it really is safer, obviously.

And in the Caribbean, I just look for a taxi with seat belts and wave on the ones without.

Actually when we were getting off the ship in Miami and getting ready to get in the taxi the taxi driver started freaking out and yelling saying we couldn't get in his taxi because of the 2 year old. I then showed him our car seat and he said "oh, I didn't see it"! He said they can get a big fine if they are caught with a child without a car seat.

I do have to mention though that while we were in Miami we took a taxi over to south beach and we just buckled the 2 year old in and the taxi driver never said anything.

Actually when we were getting off the ship in Miami and getting ready to get in the taxi the taxi driver started freaking out and yelling saying we couldn't get in his taxi because of the 2 year old. I then showed him our car seat and he said "oh, I didn't see it"! He said they can get a big fine if they are caught with a child without a car seat.

WOW! Well that is good that they did that. :) So then some do refuse to transport kids without a car seat.

Thanks for the info. :D

We were also asked if we had a car seat when getting in a taxi at the Miami Airport. We did, because I knew from reading on here that we needed one!

The dispatcher (who was super awesome and nice, even at 5am!) told us they won't let someone with a small child in without one.

Now on the other end at Barcelona not an eye was batted over just having my two year old in my lap!

Archived