Oh, what's a girl to do in Sicily for a couple of hours?

Boy, not too many threads about Sicily to help me out here. So going to the experts... you!

Our ship is in port for 6 hours (in the late afternoon at that) 2pm-8pm.

I have found a few things to research but with that time, it is hard to do anything. Seems it takes to long or places are closed for "siesta time", etc... Plus, we want to be back on the ship for dinner.

Any ideas what to do for just a couple of hours? Is there really anything to look at, walk around at near/in the port?

Not even sure how far away the closest town is.

Thanks for any ideas!

If you dock at Messina, you dock right in town. The town starts across the street from the pier. There are shops, restaurants, and a town square with a famous astronomical clock. You can easily kill some time wandering around.

If I had 4 hours or more, I'd do Taormina. The clock is pretty cool but it's about a 15 to 20 minute exhibit. You really could do both in the 6 hours you have. I was last in Taormina on a Sunday afternoon and everything was up and running. We were warned that things might be closed because it is such a deeply religious area -- everything was open.

Just visited Taormina for one port day in mid-June. (Our ship was small, so we tendered right there.) It indeed is a lovely place to spend the day, from the Greek theater, with lovely views, to the vast public gardens, with more glorious views. A very charming town.

Enjoy!

My group of six will also be docking for only 6 hours in Messina next October. Would you recommend a private driver to get to Taormina to save time. Has anyone found a nice place with a view for a glass of wine?

Archived