WWYD:Book now or wait until after final payment?

wg6530

We are looking at the Sept 19 Jewel transatlantic. The final payment date is quickly approaching. My previous transatlantics were great bargains, so the current price on this one seems a bit higher. Would you book now to be sure to get a cabin or wait until after final payment? If you'd wait until after final payment, how long might you hole off?

I'm considering waiting in hopes of a price drop and in hopes a terrific cabin might become available. I know it is a gamble either way, but I wondered what others might do so close to final payment date.

Also, other than calling NCL (I'll do that, but don't want to be a total pest), where do you find the most complete list of available cabins on NCL sailings?

We are not super picky about cabins. No seasickness or mobility troubles to limit us. We'd want at least an oceanview, but would move up to a balcony or minisuite if the price was right. Love those aft cabins, though I recognize it would be a fluke for one to come available now.

I'm assuming this sailing was well priced and sold well very early since the early birds on the roll call report that prices rose many months ago (before I was shopping it). But I can't tell how well it has sold lately, especially since NCL is also selling this transatlantic (11N) combined with a Northern Europe (23N) cruise. I'm having troble telling how many cabins are available on this one and how many NCL is saving for the combined cruise.

I booked this cruise last fall. After I booked it, the prices started going up. Every couple months, the prices went up and categories started to disappear. A couple months ago, it looked like the prices had stabilized (much higher than what I paid) and that there wasn't much left - some suites, AFs, only one balcony category, no oceanviews, and only a couple inside categories. But in the past few weeks, with final payment fast approaching, it looks like more cabins have opened up since, I assume, some people have canceled their reservations.

To the OP: since final payment is next week (July 6, I believe), I think you should just wait and see if more cabins become available. Plus, my guess is that prices will go down a bit. At the very least, I seriously doubt if prices will go up further.

JohnI, the Gem Nov 2008 was our first transatlantic. Great price, great time. Then we did the Indepenence of the Seas April 09. Even better price, again a great time. I thought DH would be burned out after two close together, but instead he is hooked. He wants to do the Jewel in September. I appreciate the info on last year's comparative cost. It looks like the same pattern is developing this year.

JohnQL, I read a bit of your roll call, and could see the price pattern you described. I am inclined to wait a week or two to see if NCL gets some cancellations at final payment date. There are other itineraries that would please me, but DH loves the transatlantics. So we will see. I'll join your roll call if we book this one.

Thanks for the responses.

With the economy the way it is I would wait until after final payments due. If the S&P500 is down to around 600 by fall there may be many cancilling their cruises and NCL will be offering great bargains in order to fill the ships. On the other hand if the S&P500 is at 1100, unemployment is falling and the leading economic indicators are all rising the price will probably be rising. Your call.

Charles

Well, we booked it (yup, 3 days before final payment). The price dropped on one of the balcony categories, and then I got a nice bid by using a compete website. I figured I'd have kicked myself if I waited and missed out on the cruise. Now I can kick myself if the price drops:rolleyes:.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts .

We are booked on this B2B cruise at a very good price that we got months ago. I checked yesterday and the price for our room is many hundreds higher than what we paid. By the way under duress by them not us. They did not want to give us this low price on a B2B even though they had advertised it. Their excuse was that you needed an actual room number for the computer system in order to book a B2B. After 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone I got them to give me the cheap price. They had to upgrade us a number of catagories in order to find us a HC room and we did pay an extra 60 dollars, a small enough charge for 6 upgrades.:cool:

We are booked on this B2B cruise at a very good price that we got months ago. I checked yesterday and the price for our room is many hundreds higher than what we paid. By the way under duress by them not us. They did not want to give us this low price on a B2B even though they had advertised it. Their excuse was that you needed an actual room number for the computer system in order to book a B2B. After 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone I got them to give me the cheap price. They had to upgrade us a number of catagories in order to find us a HC room and we did pay an extra 60 dollars, a small enough charge for 6 upgrades.:cool:

Wow, I'm glad you were able to get the room you needed. I know it can be difficult to get HC cabins. It does seem like the prices headed up for several months, but now they have dropped back a bit. It will be interesting to see if prices drop more due to cancellations as final payments come due. Either way, we are delighted with the itinerary and look forward to seeing you aboard.

Archived