First Dive with Stuart Cove?

TBT2012

I have been searching the boards looking for more info on Scuba Diving for the first time. I will be on the Carnival Sensation that gets into Nassau on Friday 7/31 at about 12 noon.

I have snorkeled with Stuart Cove and had a fantastic time, so am considering going with them. They have an afternoon dive that includes a shallow water lesson and then a dive. No certification is earned but that is OK with me. Has anyone done this?

My friend that is coming with me is a certified diver. I would like to experience diving without it being a lesson the whole time. But I would also like it to be enjoyable for her. Any suggestions?

Thanks. Sean

quote.gif

I have never dived with Stuart Cove but they appear to have a good record. I would imagine and hope that the second dive while not a lesson as such will be closely monitored. Not to alarm you unnecessarily but trained divers die each year while diving mostly due to stupid mistakes. You must be trained in the use of your equipment and the techniques of diving. A common problem with newly trained and inexperienced divers is coming to the surface too quickly. This can result in a trip to the anabolic chamber ($$$) or worse death.

I don't know how experienced your friend is. Personally I would be bored diving with another person who was not certified or even a beginner in some instances. Perhaps your companion just wants to dive with you and be with you. Hopefully they are experienced enough and trained enough to properly assist you in your dive. The dive for an experienced diver would be boring.

Personally I am not in favor of letting non-certified divers use the full equipment in anything but a 12 foot deep pool. I recommend staying with snorkeling or getting certified at home before going on the cruise.

Thanks for your input. I will probably skip scuba this time and get certified before my next cruise.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "resort" courses with a reputable dive op like Stuart Cove. Also it's up to you and your friend to decide if it is boring or not, not me. Lots of divers got the "bug" that way and went on and spent the time and money to get certified. I say go for it and be prepared to kiss your bank account goodbye when you get back to Miami.:D

I agree with the previous poster ... my husband got "bitten by the bug" by taking a resort course dive and he was with a dive master friend who has 100s of dives and never said he was bored. If your friend is a good friend, she might well be delighted to watch you get "bitten". :)

I really appreciate all the input. We have decided to snorkel this cruise but I will definitely be doing a "resort dive" in the near future to try it out and then possibly get certified later on. Everyone I have talked to says it is a total addiction. I live in Miami and cruise often so there will be plenty of opportunities.

My husband also got bitten by the bug on a Discover Scuba Dive, done with a certified instructor at his side at all times. He is now certified and we enjoy diving together.

As for Stuart Cove - while I can not comment on their Discover Dive clas, we dived with them in February on our Carnival Cruise and we have nothing to say but good things about them. If we dive in the Bahamas, we would use them again. Service was excellent.

Archived