Suite Life - those that have cruised with other lines

Dancer76

Hi

We have just got back from NCL Jade in AD Romanace suite and loved it! I loved the whole VIP experience and the benefits of Cagneys etc.

I have never cruised in a suite with any other cruiseline - can anyone offer any comparisions (to RCCL for example?)

I am looking to book a cruise for next year - but to go same grade in NCL on Jade for 7 days Europe cruise is costing £2000 per person, little bit out of our price range. RCCL is coming in quite a lot cheaper.

Lisa

As far as the suite experience on other mass market lines, there really is no comparison. Princess comes close. But, you won't have a dedicated butler or concierge on RCCL like on NCL. VIP embarkation seems to be the only common perk among all the lines.

HAL suites are quite large and well laid-out with separate tub and shower. Suite pax have access to the Neptune Lounge which is staffed with 1-2 concierge(s) whenever it's open (IIRC 7 AM-7PM) that are willing to assist you with whatever needs to be done. Neptune has a mini-food area set-up throughout the day with snacks, hors d'oeuvres, great cookies, an espresso machine. There are books in the lounge, great couches to lounge on and a large flat panel TV on the wall.

After 2 HAL cruises in a suite, we returned "home" to NCL - we missed having butler service and the rest of the perks that are part of the "suite life".

The NCL ships are the right size for us (no, we won't sail on the Epic:)) they provide us with a great cruise experience.

We have only sailed in suites and those have been on Carnival, RCCL and NCL. First I do want to say that it has been years since we were on Carnival and RCCL as you can note in my signature, so things might have changed, but I can tell you that for us the differences are huge. With Carnival, there were no perks that I remember at all, other than we had the largest stateroom on the ship. Now to be honest, I don't remember Carnival even calling it a suite,but it was the largest catagory availabe on the Inspiration. RCCL did call theirs a suite and it was a very nice stateroom, especially the bathroom which was all marble and big. Perks? I don't remember any with RCCL either. Now I am sure that has changed for RCCL, but my honest opinion is that you can not beat NCL's suite perks. Maybe if you were to go to a very high end cruiseline, but even then I am not for sure.

I am very surprised that RCCL is beating NCL on the price. The smallest suite on RCCL probably would compare to an AD on NCL so as far as the actual stateroom I don't think you would lose anything. Just make sure you are not looking at a "junior suite" on RCCL as those are not suites really, they are more like a mini-suite on NCL.

We just finished a 14 day cruise on the Pacific Princess in a Penthouse Suite.

It's very hard to compare prices sine there are too many variables.

We found the service to be comparable to NCL even without a concierge and a butler.

Our room steward took care of any of our needs same as a butler and the guest services manager took care the concierge duties..

Two things that NCL does not off the free internet and free laundry and cleaning....very nice perk.

Princess also offers a suite only breakfast at a specific restaurant...

NCL does offer a wider selection of penthouses/suites than most other lines making it easier to shop for one.

We thought we would miss the NCL suite perks but Princess met and in some cases surpassed NCL...hope this helps.

Here is a link to the Princess Suite Perks.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na828&submit=pk

We were in a VS suite on Coral Princess for SB Alaska from Whittier to Vancouver in May 2009 - there was only one suite higher than us on a price point due to location of the room on board. At the suite level, there are some nice things that Princess does (free internet, free laundry) that NCL does not (NCL corporate knows of the differences because we pointed it out to an on board cruise consultant on the Jade when we booked for Baltic Capitals for June 2010 - she said some things were being consider but won't hold my breath for anything to change) but that is the only place where Princess wins in my eyes.

We loved NCL before going on this cruise but liked Princess for Alaska because of their land tour portion plus the cruise and we were disappointed in the Princess suite experience. So back to NCL for us.

Maybe it is a ship by ship thing but our room steward was useless (asked him for help with somethings got referred to another dept. - our butler would have done it without question on NCL I am sure) and the passenger services desk didn't exactly cover things that the concierge would do for us on NCL. Plus the dinner reservation line for Princess - they had no clue and didn't know many answers to things that we would expect would have been normal things. We missed our butler and concierge - it just makes the whole cruising experience that more special.

We were spoiled with NCL suite level items and we are going back to NCL and will stick there. Rooms on NCL don't compare to Princess - granted, Coral Princess is a smaller ship but about the same size as the Jade, Pearl, Jewel, etc. Largest suite on the Coral is about the same size - maybe a little smaller than the AC on the Jade. I did not compare prices because so many factors involved but the extra stuff NCL gives from a service perspective are worth the extra money to me - so much so that we are doing O/S the next two cruises.

Recently returned from the Baltic cruise on the NCL Jewel. We were in an AB suite and LOVED it! We have also been in a suite with Celebrity but it couldn't compare to the attention to detail received on the Jewel. There wasn't anything we asked for that we didn't receive and then some. My first choice from now on will be NCL.

Just curious.....

From what I could gather from the Princess site, the OS for two is 8605.42 and when I booked the OS on the NCL Dawn, the price (without the union and Lattitude discounts) was 6358.00. I check for the same cruise, leaving within one day of each other and from the same port. Princess may have included 215.00 in taxes so, taking away that amount the difference (as far as I can figure) is over 1000.00 per person!:eek:

FYI- I paid (in total including union and Lattitudes discounts) 5531.08 for the OS for two passengers! I don't think any other cruise line could beat that price!:D

Now, perhaps my calculations are wrong, but if they aren't, that's a pretty significant difference. ;)

NayRN

Can only compare Celebrity vs. NCL with regards to suites. Both have butler service; celebrities butlers seem MUCH more formal. We are not formal type people but love having butler service so that we can have our meals ensuite each night.

I think that the overall service between the two is comparable until you start climbing the suite ladder at NCL. On Celebrity, you'll receive the same service regardless of being in a Sky Suite or Penthouse Suite. On NCL, you'll receive great service in an Owners Suite and incomparable service in a Garden Villa.

We just returned from 2 weeks in Maui (Marriott Ocean Club and Westin Villas) and it was nice, but I am still on my Garden Villa high from February! I've presented ideas to my better half (Regent Seven Seas), and his reply is (keep in mind, that although we've done several cruises, he's not a junky like I am) "Is it the Garden Villa?" No. "A Courtyard Villa" No. "Then why are you asking?" I am sure that we would/and will take Celebrity in the future (Royal or Penthouse Suite), but our preference will be NCL...we hated our NCL Sun cruise (the worst of all cruises I've taken) in a balcony, but NCL has nailed it's suite product!

Hi

We have just got back from NCL Jade in AD Romanace suite and loved it! I loved the whole VIP experience and the benefits of Cagneys etc.

I have never cruised in a suite with any other cruiseline - can anyone offer any comparisions (to RCCL for example?)

I am looking to book a cruise for next year - but to go same grade in NCL on Jade for 7 days Europe cruise is costing £2000 per person, little bit out of our price range. RCCL is coming in quite a lot cheaper.

Lisa

I've sailed in suites on RCCL and NCL and I can tell you the perks are like night and day between these two cruise lines; NCL wins hands down. RCCL in the past has had almost non-existent perks for suites; you had access to a concierge that no way compares to the service our NCL concierge provided; you also had access to a concierge lounge which served free drinks for a few hours each evening but the lounge was so overcrowded with huge numbers of their high level past guests it was not pleasant and we just avoided the lounge for the most part on our last cruise with RCCL. RCCL has recently attempted to correct that lounge issue in limiting the past guest access just to their highest level and they have added some perks like reserved seating near the pool and at shows on some ships but other then that there's not much to their perks. There is priority check in but that doesn't come anywhere close to the VIP check in we received on NCL.

I've sailed in suites on RCCL and NCL and I can tell you the perks are like night and day between these two cruise lines; NCL wins hands down. RCCL in the past has had almost non-existent perks for suites; you had access to a concierge that no way compares to the service our NCL concierge provided; you also had access to a concierge lounge which served free drinks for a few hours each evening but the lounge was so overcrowded with huge numbers of their high level past guests it was not pleasant and we just avoided the lounge for the most part on our last cruise with RCCL. RCCL has recently attempted to correct that lounge issue in limiting the past guest access just to their highest level and they have added some perks like reserved seating near the pool and at shows on some ships but other then that there's not much to their perks. There is priority check in but that doesn't come anywhere close to the VIP check in we received on NCL.

Hello...My thoughts exactly!! No comparison between NCL and RCI. We cruised last December in a Grand Suite on the Explorer OTS, and were very disappointed, to say the least. Can't wait until sailing on the Pearl in a AC suite!

Helen

We sailed on RCCL in a suite and got virtually no perks at all. It was simply a bigger room. We did get a vip invite to meet the captain. We sailed in a suite on Celebrity two times and love them. They do have the butlers and the service was excellent. On shore days the butler would be in the hall handing out fluffy large beach towels, every night they would bring an appetizer and dessert cart to the room for snacks, etc. Very much worth the extra cost.

We've done owner's suites on Princess, Carnival, and NCL. There is no comparison. NCL offers so much more. I don't always sail in suites, but NCL is the way to go for the Suite Life. Nancy

I've never had a suite on any other line but having just departed 14500 on the Star with Simone as our concierge, I can't imagine anyone could compete wth the level of service we've enjoyed for the last week.

We did a suite on Princess in May and it was nice dont get me wrong....

Large cabin, bathroom....but It kind of ended there...We always book suites and NCL does it best with Butlers and restaurant reservations, priority embarkation and all that.....NCL is the way when it comes to suites!!!!!:D

I've never had a suite on any other line but having just departed 14500 on the Star with Simone as our concierge, I can't imagine anyone could compete wth the level of service we've enjoyed for the last week.

Did Simone get married yet?! I know she was engaged to the head chef, Andres. Enquiring minds want to know!;)

We have had the extreme pleasure of having Simone twice as our Concierge and without a doubt she is the bar by which we judge all other Concierge. She is FANTASTIC. I can not wait to sail with her again so I can tell her what a fan base she has built up.

She and Chef Andres are getting married this Dec. I do not know the exact date, but I do know it was scheduled for this Dec. Last I heard that is during their "vacation time" and they both hope to return to the Star, although at that time (been several months ago) it was unknown if they were for sure. I do know if Simone is not on our sailing of the Star next May we will be VERY disappointed.

I do know if Simone is not on our sailing of the Star next May we will be VERY disappointed

She goes on vacation in November, married in December and back on the Star in February so you should see her in May!

Hi

Lisa

We stayed in a Jr. Suite on RCCL and received absolutely no perks. We stayed in a Grand Suite on RCCL and only got use of the concierge lounge and the occasional fruit tray in our state room. RCCL is now offering reserved seating in the theater and poolside for suite guests in Grand suites or higher. Other than that, I don't know of anything.

We stayed in a penthouse suite (their highest level) on Carnival, and other than the extra space in the room there were no perks. They did offer a dedicated lounge for check-in which we used only to find out quickly that we could have boarded faster by going through the regular check-in line.

Back to the suite issue. We've had Royal Suites on Celebrity Century and the butler service is very very good. We loved the canapés each night and afternoon tea sandwiches! Those cabins are really very nice too. We love all the wood.

Had the Penthouse on Century once and the perks are the same as the Royal. No complaints, for sure!!!!!

On NCL we've had AB's and they are laid out so well for families! It is just SO perfect for us when we travel with our sons or friends. The butlers have been the greatest. The Cagney's for breakfast and lunch make it the best deal at sea, we think!

Had the A3 once (omg, that will spoil you) with all the fun of our favorite AB's but with the private resistance pool, jacuzzi, steam room and private upper deck for garden villa guests only.

Just remember that mini suites on NCL don't get the perks. Just like the mini's on RCI. That can be confusing.

I head about VIP check in for suite guests. What is this? I also heard NCL only has one line for check in? Can someone clear this up?? I'M on the Epic Jan 2011.

What is this breakfast and lunch thing?

Thank you.

I head about VIP check in for suite guests. What is this? I also heard NCL only has one line for check in? Can someone clear this up?? I'M on the Epic Jan 2011.

What is this breakfast and lunch thing?

Thank you.

They whisk you in a small room to the side to do your check in. They have little tidbits to eat set up in the room next to it while you wait for someone to take you to your suite. There is a line for Latitude members, suite guests and first time cruisers. Check in is usually pretty fast. Also, if you are a suite guest, there is VIP dining at Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. It's very nice and at least on the Sky, very quiet. Hubby and I will have an AE on the Pearl in December and will see if I feel the same about it. After looking at the *Suite Perks on Other Lines* thread, I have a feeling it's going to all be good!:D

Archived