La baie and sept-iles, canada

Our NCL 9/25/09 cruise stops at these two unknown cities (to me) and I'm wondering if any other folks have been here. Can you share any thoughts?

Hate to be forced into booking a tour from the over-priced offerings on the ship. Thanks.

I've been to the region a few times, and while quite scenic I haven't noted that much tourist activity. I've stayed overnight in Jonquiere, Chicoutimi, and Tadoussac. Certainly the whale-watching in Tadoussac is something to be seen, and while you might be able to see the whales while turning off the St. Lawrence onto the Saguenay, a smaller vessel would give you a better look. The community itself is quite pretty, and the sight of the Hotel Tadoussac from the bay is beautiful. As for Jonquiere and Chicoutimi they've only been a hotel room, and I did not notice that much activity in either place (though admitedly I wasn't seeking entertainment). There is a decent local bus service there if you're venturing on your own . . . though not to Tadoussac for which you'll need a taxi or tour.

We're signed up for the ship's Best of Sanguenay by Land & Sea excursion. It sounds like it would give the best view of the area, but I would love to see some reviews. We can always cancel, but, if it's sold out, we wouldn't get to do it.

Archived