Renting Bikes in Sitka and/or Ketchikan?

drisinger

Does anyone have some experiences to share about any biking in either Sitka or Ketchikan? Was it fun and easy to rent and ride or too complicated? Any specific shops to rent from or can you suggest any trails to ride? We would like to see the scenery and not stay in town too much, probably 3 or 4 hours max. We are medium experienced hikers but not mountain bikers, just average bikers.

Thank you!

DeAnna

We signed up for a mountain biking tour in Sitka through our ship on our 1st Alaskan cruise, so I'm not sure where to rent in town. The tour was absolutely beautiful, though, and I'm so glad I did it. They drove us about 10 miles I guess out into the Tongass National Forest (I think that's the name of it), and then we rode about 10 miles. Passed some of the most wonderful lakeside scenery I think I've ever seen. You also stop at this lake and do a short walking tour of the area. Then they stop at a hiking area, and you do a short hike through the gorgeous woods (not a hard hike), over creeks, seeing small waterfalls, and go back to see another hidden lake. Then you just stop and take in the quiet peacefulness of Alaska's beauty.

The ride was not hard - I'm a moderately experienced mountain biker, and I can say a beginner could definitely do it. All of it was on paved roads, mostly straight, with some short hills. They don't go too fast, either.

I haven't ridden in Ketchikan, but the Jeep 4-wheeling up the mountain was amazing!

I have rented bikes in both Ketchikan and Sitka.

Yellow Jersey in downtown Sitka is a very professional bike shop - they will fit a bike to you and send you off. They will provide guidance on where to ride. They are just a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal.

In Ketchikan you can rent bikes at Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show Store. It is downtown just a couple blocks from the cruise ship terminal. They are more of an outdoor store than a bike shop, but they had a reasonable selection of bikes to choose from. There is also an unverified source that says bicycles can be rented from Southeast Exposure Kayaks (225-8829).

Just for completeness - Sockeye Cycles has bicycle shops with rentals in both Haines and Skagway. Both are just a few blocks from the cruise ship terminals. They are professional bike shops.

Archived