Barcelona in August 2010

I am thinking about taking my granddaughter who will be 16 next year on the cruise out of Spain on the Voyager of the Seas. Can anyone give me their opinion of whether or not this would be something she would enjoy?

I am taking her this summer for the Southern Caribbean on the Adventurer along with a friend but I want to do something really special with her next year. Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful.

How far away from the airport is the port. We would come in a few days earlier but I would like to be able to fly home the day we dock. Is this the right way to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help re the Voyager but Barcelona is a lovely place. the port is about a 30-45mins journey from the airport depending on rush hour and about 30euro. If your looking for hotels you may want to be near the ramblas as this is where all the action is in Barcelona.

My teens had a great time on our Med cruise last summer. They especially liked having breakfast on the balcony of our hotel (Continental Palacete) and walking around the streets of Barcelona. Have her read a little about each port you will visit. My kids did this and each one gave a little summary about 'their port' the day we arrived. It was one of our best trips ever.

I am thinking about taking my granddaughter who will be 16 next year on the cruise out of Spain on the Voyager of the Seas. Can anyone give me their opinion of whether or not this would be something she would enjoy?

I am taking her this summer for the Southern Caribbean on the Adventurer along with a friend but I want to do something really special with her next year. Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful.

How far away from the airport is the port. We would come in a few days earlier but I would like to be able to fly home the day we dock. Is this the right way to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can help you a bit of this. I would agree you would be best to fly in a couple of days before, and you will have no issues on flying back to the US on the day you dock as we have met other Americans who have done this as flights to the US seem to leave just after lunchtime. Just remember in europe if you do tours the days may be long ie 10 hour tours, rome is about 90minutes away from the cruise terminal so just plan for that and you will be thankful for the sea days. Enjoy

We just came back from Voyager doing that trip. There were a lot of families on board, but being spoiled Americans we were surprised by how many were from Spain. Imagine that, a cruise that began in Spain was 50% populated by people from there! There were a lot of teenagers, but we saw little of the trouble that many CC posters complain about.

We weren't in love with Voyager, but we also really went more for the port stops. I would highly recommend trying to get into small group excurisions through RomeCabs or Rome in Limo rather than the herd mentality of the RCCL excursions. The intimacy of 8 people in a van vs. 100 on a bus was fabulous. Both companies took good care of us. We simply posted through CC and found other like minded people. There were at least 3 other families on CC that were bringing teenagers, so it shouldn't be a problem getting people who would share her interests......and work off some of her energy so you don't have to be entertaining her all the time.

The airport really is no problem. You DO want to get there a day or more early to adjust to the jet lag! There are plenty of things to do in Barcelona, so no problems with getting there too early. We stayed out near the airport, but I thin the previous poster is right about being near Las Ramblas. The airport worked out for us because we had free rooms available out there, but if I was paying I would have stayed down there.

This is an excellent idea. I went to Spain when I was 16, I will never forget the trip. I did read up on everywhere we were going.

It will be HOT, just prepare yourself, especially Rome. I don't think I would want to climb to the top of the Vatican in that weather. Prepare and plan ahead so you are not standing in the hot sun.

Good luck have a wonderful trip

Archived