Walkie-Talkies in Europe

I've heard that North American walkie-talkies are not permitted on land in Europe but they are permitted on the ship when at sea. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever had their North American walkie-talkies confiscated at customs when entering Europe?

2. Has anyone used their NA walkie-talkies in Europe on land and had no problems?

2. I live in Canada but I'm going to the States for a couple of days. Does anyone know a store in Canada or in the States where I can buy the type of walkie-talkie permitted on land in Europe: the PMR-446?

3. If not, is there an online store you would recommend?

Thank you :)

I've heard that North American walkie-talkies are not permitted on land in Europe but they are permitted on the ship when at sea. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever had their North American walkie-talkies confiscated at customs when entering Europe?

2. Has anyone used their NA walkie-talkies in Europe on land and had no problems?

2. I live in Canada but I'm going to the States for a couple of days. Does anyone know a store in Canada or in the States where I can buy the type of walkie-talkie permitted on land in Europe: the PMR-446?

3. If not, is there an online store you would recommend?

Thank you :)

There was quite a thread on this subject a few months ago and it seems to me that no W/T's were usable in Europe that were bought here,but I may be wrong...try doing a search on this by putting W/T's spelled out in the search forum and/or maybe someone will post the link or reply.It is not the W/T's themselves it is the frequecy used in Europe as it is their Emergency Freq.'s that are used.I think the conclusion was used cell phones that ate usuable in Europe.

Thanks cberge and Zimomiller. I had read that thread and it seems using them out to sea is not a problem. I would never use them on land knowing that the frequencies are reserved.

But, can I take them into Europe or will they be seized at customs?

Assuming I don't take a chance and I leave them at home, does anyone know a place in the US I can buy the PMR446 walkie-talkies?

Thanks!

Thank you swalm22. That's what I'll do. Walkie-talkies are so convenient. We like to go in different directions on the ship and then can spend a lot of time looking for each other. Wouldn't do another cruise without them.

Thanks!

Thank you swalm22. That's what I'll do. Walkie-talkies are so convenient. We like to go in different directions on the ship and then can spend a lot of time looking for each other. Wouldn't do another cruise without them.

Thanks!

Keep in mind that the ship is made of steel which could cause some bad transmission - receiving specialy inside the ship (cage of Faraday effect). Crewmembers of ships who use walkie-talkies transmitting over repeaters.

You also need to ask permission to use onboard Walkie-talkies to be sure you not disturb the ships communication.

see the picture of Walkie-talkie set with 8 channels you can use without license.

Walkie-talkies.jpg.1e2b8a7dfd1426fca52ab7c934f5c9ff.jpg

Thanks swalm22. Surprisingly I never had a problem with WT reception on my other cruises. The gift shop sells them and so many people carry them around, especially the kids. The only problem is finding a channel that no on else is already using! Makes for interesting conversations!

The European WTs have a much shorter range, so they might be much less effective on the ship. We're willing to try... we've wasted way too much time looking for each other when we didn't have the WTs.

Archived