Mother-in-law

J&B2ndtime

Hello,

My hubby and I are planning to take my mother-in-law on a cruise this winter. We are thinking of doing a Carnival cruise. We haven't sorted out all of the logistics at this point, but will likely go with the Destiny, Ecstacy or Triumph. My question is, do you think if we booked a suite (or similiar) there would be enough room for all 3 of us in a cabin? Or would it be better for her to have her own? and pay the single supplement fee?

Hubs and I have cruised before on NCL; we had an inside cabin. I am just not sure about the size and layout of the larger type cabins. Also as I've never been on a Carnival cruise and am even more unfamiliar with the cabins.

What would you do? She's in her 70's and I'd hate for her to be lonely in her own cabin, but I'd also hate for us to all be falling over each other in a suite. Any advise?

Thanks.

A suite will offer you more square footage but there will not be a private area in the cabin....you will all still be together. Why not ask her is she wants a cabin by herself?

You could get 2 connecting cabins and just leave the connecting door open and this way you will all be together and will have 2 bathrooms.

What would you do? She's in her 70's and I'd hate for her to be lonely in her own cabin, but I'd also hate for us to all be falling over each other in a suite. Any advise?

Thanks.

I can advise you with this advice- As a MIL myself, I'd vote for the separate cabins. It allows her the freedom to relax and just enjoy herself (and her privacy!) without feeling like a "third wheel" in your cabin.

Oh.. I never even considered connecting cabins. Do you know if there are many of them available? I assume we'd have to book quite early to get them.

Thank you MoYerclan - Good point about being a 3rd wheel. She'd likely want her privacy anyway.:)

Check the price for both a suite and 2 connecting rooms....she certainly won't feel "lonely", unless she chooses to....there's really no reason to stay sequestered in the cabin unless you're sleeping, or changing! There's simply too much to do on the ship to sit in your room! BUT---and this is a big one, it's NICE to have some "alone" time--for her and you, when you aren't "out and about". No one wants to be joined at the hip 24/7!

Oh.. I never even considered connecting cabins. Do you know if there are many of them available? I assume we'd have to book quite early to get them.

Thank you MoYerclan - Good point about being a 3rd wheel. She'd likely want her privacy anyway.:)

The number of connecting cabins avaliable depends on the ship. The older ships tend to have fewer of them. I have had connecting cabins with my grandchildren 3 times on Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean and each time I booked several months in advance. If you are serious about booking, you might want to contact an agent right away because they do go fast.

A suite will offer you more square footage but there will not be a private area in the cabin....you will all still be together. Why not ask her is she wants a cabin by herself?

You could get 2 connecting cabins and just leave the connecting door open and this way you will all be together and will have 2 bathrooms.

My vote also....your in close proximity and overall a little more room with both connecting rooms yet you can have some privacy.

Archived