Getting the best price/deal directly from Carnival

2 Labs 2 Many

DH is a Southwest airlines employee and we recently found out about his employer's group "Friends and Family" cruise on the Elation for May 1-7 for what we thought was a great price (I don't know if I can list a price here, so I won't). Anyway, I registered on the Carnival site just so that I could get more information on the ship, etc.

I was contacted the next day by Carnival and asked if they could help me book something. I informed them I was booking through a large group of Southwest employees. The rep asked what the price was and when I told him, he asked me to get back to him when we made a final decision because he wanted a chance to beat the price.

So - my question is - how do I achieve the best price/deal? I don't care that much about booking with the group because they don't really have any group activities other than a Meet and Greet the first or second night. It's just the price break that we were going for.

Should I ask him to beat the price or upgrade to an outside room or for room credits or a little of everything? Where do they have the most leeway in trying to make a deal?

Any advice is appreciated!

It never hurts to get a few other prices... so why not? Worse comes to worse you are out 5 minutes of your time. Sounds like you already have a price through the SWA group, why not just call the PVP and ask what he can do on the price? You should also check some other sources too... such as local agencies and online.

The only thing they can do is offer you the interline rate that's available. They can't give you an ocean view for an inside or any on board credits. If they tell you they can they're not telling the truth. Make sure you ask if the ocean view they offer is a window or a porthole. They don't have any leeway in 'making deals' they can only offer what their computer tells them.

I agree w/Goin. You have the SWA group rate. Now - Call the PVP back and get his 'best rate' for that same category/cabin. And ... I know a good PVP can do wonders. I've used one specific PVP for 4 cruises, and there are little ways for them to get around things and come up w/real 'deals' for you.;)

When comparing those prices find out what kind of perks you will be getting with the group rate. Sometimes groups get a cabin credit and/or a free coctail party determined by how many people are booked. By going your own way getting a seperate price you will lose all the amenites that come with booking as a group.

I am also an airline employee and use the interline rates when they are available---nothing can beat that price.

My pvp always checks though to see if the interline is the best deal.

Now are you the employee or "friends/family"? I know what u are talking about, and the interline rate is just for aemployees and their spouse- The friend and fam is something else entirely. So maybe the pvp can find you something a little cheaper.

Good luck.....

My cruise last Jan I discovered that Carnival can quote interline rates so I booked with them. When I priced my panama canal cruise for Sept I again contacted Carnival but this time also did a google search for interline agencies. I found one (that also was on my work's list of agencies to use) and discovered that their prices were much lower than Carnivals! If you do decide to book on your own please also check out the interline agencies. You might be pleasantly surprised! Just keep in mind what someone else said though, you might be giving up going to a cocktail party or something (meet and greet you might be able to go to anways, you never know). If you are armed with all the information you can make an educated decision on what is best for you.

Archived