sushi on the princess carribean

dentistmEL

On our CB cruise in June, they served free sushi once at lunch on a sea day. It was in the cafe caribe. Lot's of variety and a good job of presentation.

They do that on every ship, but real sushi lovers claim that it's pseudo sushi and not very good. Interesting, though, because on those days I see them gobbling like it's going out of style. :eek:

I am not a sushi lover, but DH is a sushi affection-ado! The sushi they serve at the Horizon Court is mainly California Rolls.

The sushi at Vines, is the real deal! The one sushi chef took my DH under his wing one day on the Emerald, and served him some great pieces. He's still raving about it, and he knows his sushi:D

I agree with the last post-horizon court doesn't serve anything raw, just vegetables and fake crab california rolls-I also have found the rice is quite dry as it sits out...

vines is really not bad for the price I remember it being 3 dollars for 6 pieces of spicey tuna which would be one roll so much cheaper than home...they also serve different sashimi which was very cheap-ask what they are offering that day as they may not display everything

enjoy!

Coming from Los Angeles, we have our fair share of good and bad sushi places. For me, good sushi means the fish is fresh. For the day they had sushi lunch in the "cafeteria", it was definitely not good. One of my friends on board talked to the guys in the kitchen and apparently it was all prepared the night before and put back into the fridge. You could taste the difference. Both my sister and I felt a little ill afterwards. Plus, there was very little variety and I didn't recognize more than 3-4 kinds out of 20(ish).

HOWEVER, the $1 a piece sushi on the 5th deck was fantastic (per my sister). I'd suggest that if you really love sushi and can't go 9 days without it, go there. The guys making it even seemed to turn up their nose at the stuff in the cafeteria (pretty amusing).

I am from the Pacific Northwest and I love sushi. I also know fresh fish when I taste it. The sushi in the buffet is crap. The sushi you pay for at Vines is terrific. At least the 2 times that I have tried it - one time each on 2 different ships/cruises. There is a $3.00 surcharge but I think you get 6 pieces - they are very generous. Anyways....I like tuna sashimi or salmon sashimi and they do a great job.

Archived