May or Sept? and which type of cabin??

maygoddess

Hey all! My DH and I ( and now possibly my parents) are considering our very first cruise and considering the Tahitian Princess for a 10Day Tahiti trip that stops in Roratonga.

1. Would you say May or September would be a more ideal month and why?Weather? Calmer seas? less busy? Any feed back would be appreciated.

2. Is it worthwhile to have a balcony? Would a room witha view or inside cabin be just as fine? Seems like we are moored alot and spending alot of time off ship so we are wondering if it is really worth the extra mula for a window or balcony. We are thinking that money we save would mean extra money for excursions but we also don't want to miss out on views from our room if it is worth it.

My parents have been to Tahiti 15 years ago on a land trip. They also have been to the Cooks and just did a Fiji land trip earlier this year. We all love the South Pacific. My DH and I did Cooks for our honemoon 4 years ago. Next Sept will be our 5th anniversary and we are considering renewing our vows on the Roratonga day trip(hoping the tendering is not cancelled due to rough seas!) If we don't do Sept..we will probbaly do the May 24th sailing rather than the Sept 1 sailing.

Any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated!

Patty

Patty,

I can't say for sure about May vs. September, but would think you'd find them very similar as they are the beginning and end of "winter" in Tahiti.

As to inside vs. outside, you'd have to spend about $150 more per person for outside. If your budget would be stretched by this amount, then stick with the inside cabin as long as there's no claustrophobia problem.

Our first cruise years ago was in an inside cabin in the Caribbean and we thought it was wonderful. We didn't miss what we had never had. That said, we wouldn't go back to one and have now been spoiled to the point of needing a balcony in warmer climates.

When your budget permits, you will probably want to move up to an outside cabin, balcony or suite, but many people are just as happy to be inside with money in their pockets.

Two other thoughts -- there's always the chance of an upgrade from inside to outside if the cruise has more people booking the inside cabins. Be sure to get a sizeable discount from the published prices. If you shop around, you may find you can afford a little more luxury than you thought. (If not, buy a bottle of champagne and celebrate your good fortune to be married for five years and vacationing in the So. Pacific.)

CMI

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I should have the pricing comparisons from my TA for the two dates and the various cabin options withinthe next day or two. I believe the Tahitian Princess has a smaller amount of insides than they do windows and balconies, so those must fill up quickly...who knows. I am sure we would love to have the balcony or at least a window!

Any more advice on this particular cruise is welcomed!

Patty

we had a balcony our first time down because of really low rates. it was nice but we didn't use it all that much because this trip is so port intensive. we are in an inside this time around, because we wanted to stay on the islands for a few days before and after the cruise.

This is a tough decision. My parents and my DH and myself have never cruised but when we do land..we are not picky about ocean views in our accomodations because we are there just to sleep mostly..so we get garden rooms..so I am thinking it may be the same here..hmm

I just got an initial quote and it looks like

inside is only $150 less than a porthole room(unobstructed)

balcony is about $300 more than inside and just over $100 more than a porthole room..

So..$600 per couple more if we go from inside to balcony...that is almost one airfare from LAX..or 4-5 excursions..once the ship docks..we will be out in our swimsuits diving, snorkeling and exploring.

Have to think about this one!

Patty

We've had a balcony all three times we've been on this ship. It's one of my favorite things about this ship. I admit I don't like being closed in, I need at least a window. I used the balcony alot, every morning we'd sit out and have coffee and a light breakfast, on sea days I would sit and relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of the sea and at night after a long day, we'd sit on our balcony and stare at the million stars. Then, it was to bed with the balcony door open and the gentle breeze put us to sleep. Another reason we like the balcony in the morning was to sit and watch as we pulled in to a new island. I

know you can enjoy sitting on deck too, I just think having your private balcony is really a treat. Only you know your budget, I am just saying if you can splurge, go for it. We went out of our intial budget the first time to get a balcony, now I'm spoiled for life. Whatever you decide, you are about to embark on an amazing trip. I don't have an urge to go anywhere else anymore, except for French Polyneisa.

Archived