San Juan with 5 YOUNG kids 5p-11p

FOURunderFOUR

We are trying to pick our itinerary for a Jan/Feb cruise, and one of our options has San Juan as a port on Mon from 5p-11p. We will be traveling with my parents, my husband, and our 5 young kids (ages 17mos - 6 1/2 at the time). Any suggestions? My mom missed San Juan on her last cruise, so she wants this port. However, she wants to explore, which I am not sure is safe or possible at the hours we will be in port. I checked the Biobay site, as that sounds very cool. However, my kids are obviously too young for the kayak. I saw that one area has a walking tour, but it is only offered Thurs-Sat, so won't work for us. Any other ideas? Do we just stay on the ship if we do this cruise? Pick the other week, which offers Cancun, Cayman, Montego Bay?

Thanks

J

You could pick a cruise with San Juan in the daytime, the CCL Liberty we'll be on does that. We've been there a few times in the time slot you are asking about, you certainly can do your own walking tour, it's quite safe, my wife loves it there and wouldn't if she felt uncomfortable. You can go to AAA and ask for a tripbook for the Caribbean & US Virgin Islands, I did, and in it they have walking tours and things to do, the forts should really interst the kids and grandparents.

Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited in what cruise lines we pick. Right now, we are focusing on MSC because they offer free sailing for kids under 17. Even at the rare rate of $99 for 3rd and 4th passengers, having 5 kids adds up fast, as we are already looking at a minimum of $1400 to fly our family of 7 to Florida. Thanks for the suggestion though.

There are a couple of options for young kids (from my experience).

1)You can do the bio tour with electric boats (5:30 to 10:30 so it's very late but they do provide dinner). Check out Eastwind (Google it).

2) Or, go to the mall. It's huge!! There's a Build-a-Bear Workshop and a zillion other stores.

3)Get a day pass from the Caribe Hilton (this is the best option IMHO).

They have a small enclosed (almost like a lagoon) swimming area with a trampoline in the water and some other non-motorized toys with a lovely beach area (lots of hammocks hung between palm trees and plenty of lounge chairs).

The water is shallow and warm and peaceful.

They also have an outdoor eating place and a beautiful swimming pool.

Plus, they have a children's play area with a big plastic boat and other large climbing equipment.

Additionally they have a small walkable lagoon/botanical garden with a gazebo. It's a great place for the kids to run around and see the iguanas and the swans and the birds. There's a stone walkway that runs along the ocean for some great running/walking. They also have a place that juts out over the ocean where you can look down and see fish. They light it at night and the fish (and sometimes a shark) flood to it looking for food.

The kids would love this!

In the lobby of the hotel, they have shops. They also have very large birds in cages (I think they talk). My kids loved this!

There's a Subway restaurant across the street which has a full ice-cream and coffee bar as well as some local soups and the usual sandwiches. There's also a Starbucks in the Caribe Hilton which serves beverages and local pastries. Or if you want to spend some big bucks, they have several very nice sit down restaurants.

Just go to the Caribe Hilton's website for their email address. I don't recall how much the day pass was, but it's well worth it if you have a lot of small children.

You might be able to send your mom off on the bus down to Old San Juan while you stay with the kids for awhile (just an option).

Karen in Kentucky

Archived