Helicopter tour of W Maui and Molokai Q

flashdog_1

I've never flown in a chopper over open ocean (only in Alaska in Juneau) and wonder if the ride is very turbulent going over to Molokai. Anyone with experience please respond.

Also, there are two Molokai tours, one going to the other side of Molokai. Wonder if that's worth the extra expense. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The heli companies are very safe and cautious here. I won't name names due to Board policies, but worked with the two biggest for years. I always found that they will cancel a tour if there is any question of safety. As for turbulence, there might be pockets on any tour, but it's not in their interest to have guests using the sickness bags...if you catch my drift!

The cliffs on Molokai are the highest in the world, and are spectacular. If at all possible, always, always book morning tours-the earlier the better. Our weather can bring clouds into the valleys by late morning, and frequently that eliminates some of the spots for viewing.

Thanks WestMaui,

We CAN use company names as a response to a request, and I requested. I understand that Blue Hawaii has the larger choppers with bigger back windows, but at a premium price! I've seen ads for several others so I do not know which is 2nd to them.

Short of taking a helicopter tour of W Maui and Molokai, can you get a feel for the largeness of the cliffs in seeing them from Kanapali? Thanks

I used Sunshine and Blue Hawaiian on both Maui and the Big Island. They both have the A-Star and the larger helis as well. Blue Hawaiian calls theirs the "EcoStar" and Sunshine calls theirs the "Whisper Star". Their prices are usually about the same. Both are great companies.

You won't be able to really see the cliffs of Moloka'i unless you do a heli. They are too remote and too far from Maui, even from Honolua or Kapalua. You just can't get the scope and the detail.

Thanks very much.

I've read a few reviews from people who do recommend the larger helicopter for comfort and for viewing. I know I was quite uncomfortable in the back on the one in Alaska I was in with 2 large men and another woman! (the two short women got the front seats). And that wasn't for an hour flight, either!

i have read numerous reports of combining tours (for economical or weather reasons) and maybe you won't get the tour you want. What was your experience with your clients on that account?

I mean if I scheduled a 30 minute tour of just West Maui and they gave me the hour tour, it wouldn't be bad, but if I wanted Molokai and they made it Haleakalea instead I would not be a happy camper. But I guess they offer you the option of not going, with no penalty.

Would the West Maui only tour (the half hour one) give any better glimpse of Molokai from the air (as opposed to from the ground at Kapalua)? I've just added up the cost of everything and with the Molokai helicopter tour we're spending as much on excursions/food/transportation while there as our cruise fare (not even talking about air fare), so I'm looking at all options, including cheaper ones! Thanks

Aloha,

First, seating in helis is done for balance of the bird. It's the reason you'll be asked how much do you weigh...a q that resulted in some interesting responses! The larger birds are definietly more comfortable and also have much larger windows. Sunshine used to have a guaranteed front seat option on the Whisper Star (for a price)-don't know if they still do. All the heli co's also typically charge a "comfort seat" fee if you are more than about 230-240 lbs. They essentially sell you two seats at the price for 1 1/2, and leave the 6th seat unoccupied.

The 30 min. West Maui tour doesn''t go anywhere near Moloka'i. Moloka'i is a fair distance across the channel from us. And yes, if your tour is not able to go, they will offer you another day/time/itinerary. No penalty for turning those down-they are very good about refunding your entire charge.While it may be disappointing, remember that they cancel tours for safety reasons-a good thing!

Excursions are expensive, no question. I used to suggest making a list and going through it to cut out the "wants" from the "musts". If you book direct with the tour companies you will save $$$, but be careful of timing with your cruise departures etc.

Check to see if the helicopter will go into the West Maui crater if it is clear. Most of the time it is clouded over, but we lucked out and got an unusual clear day and he took us in to see what the pilot called "the wall of tears" which was a series of water falls coming off the cliffs. Very cool!

You're welcome! Lazz is right-but the problem is flying through the valley and getting to the Wall of Tears is always a decision made by the pilot in flight. It is, again, a better shot in the mornings. I'ao Valley and the West Maui mountains gather clouds over them very commonly by late morning. Haleakala does the same, though the winds can clear the clouds there. It's impossible to predict.

Archived