Altun Ha in August, is it going to be really hot?

gam888

Thinking of the Altun Ha tour in August when we go on the Carnival Legend. Is it going to be really hot to be walking around? Heard there is not a lot of walking around that you need to do. But I am just concerned about the weather and the humidity? Has anyone done this tour in August? I am thinking about taking the ship excursion. Is it normally booked up? I don't want to book ahead of time with Carnival cos they require a 4 day cancellation policy. Thought I will wait till we are on the ship to size up the situation!

When we were on the Legend, we took the Altun Ha & River Wallace excursion. It was October and it was very, very hot! I enjoyed the day, but when we reminisce about that trip, we always talk about how hot it was.

We were in Vegas in August once, and it was hot! Although it was dry heat, but with over 103 degree, it was uncomfortable to walk more than 10 minutes in the day time if you are out in the open. We had to take shelter in any shade we can get walking from block to block. So with Altun Ha in August, with the humidity, wonder if there is any shade and if it's uncomfortable to be walking around the site!?

I was there in January, and while not uncomfortable, I was glad to be wearing shorts and a tank top. There is shade around the perimeter, but inside the site itself it is mostly exposed. That said, the site isn't that big. I think you'll be ok as long as you wear sunscreen and drink water. You shouldn't be at the site for longer than an hour or two.

We just returned from our Legend cruise and a tour to Altun Ha with Belize Cruise Excursions. It was a great day, but as our guide said Belize has two temperatures - hot and hotter! She told us that if the temperatures ever reachs below 50 they do not go outside as it is too cold - I live in Erie, PA - our high is 50 for a good 6 months of the year. The low last night (July7) was 56!

We had a good day, but well before we boarded our bus (not very air conditioned I might add) my shorts and T-shirt were damp. It was certainly in the high 90's with very high humidity. August will likely be more of the same!

My favorite part of everyday was showering off the sweat, salt water, etc when getting back on to the boat - it meant I had enjoyed a great day, but would be cool and refreshed for the rest of my evening!

Archived