Westerdam Verandah Cabin Question

Mollynme

Hi,

I can't remember if all of the Verandah cabins on the Westerdam have refrigerators/mini-bars. My SIL needs some place cool to keep her medication so they need to know if they should order one ahead of time or will it already be there.

Thanks in advance!

ALL cabins on the Westerdam (and other Vistas, Eurodam and Prinsendam) have the mini-bars. However, they don't keep anything cooler than about 25 degrees below cabin temperature. If she needs cooler than that the meds can be strored by the infirmary.

I use insulin as I am a Type I diabetic. The mini fridge was perfectly adhequate to keep the insulin at the proper temp. when we were on the Westerdam.

If you explain your need to keep meds in the fridge you steward will have the beverage dept come and empy the fridge of the "mini bar" items so you can have it all for your personal use.

May I offer a suggestion?

Bring some plastic freezer storage bags (ex. Ziploc) with you, request your ice bucket kept full by the steward. Place the ice in the freezer bags, and place your medication in the mini-bar cooler next to the bag containing the ice cubes. You will need to fill the plastic bags twice a day.

Also you can buy an inexpensive refrigerator thermometer and place it in the mini bar refrigerator to assess the temperature in it to make sure your medication is being stored properly.

On their first cruise (inside cabin on Veendam) they did keep the medication in a small cooler which their steward was kind enough to keep supplied with ice. They were just hoping for an easier way (and hoping not to have to take up valuable luggage space with a cooler). I will pass along the info and let them decide.

I use insulin as I am a Type I diabetic. The mini fridge was perfectly adhequate to keep the insulin at the proper temp. when we were on the Westerdam.

If you explain your need to keep meds in the fridge you steward will have the beverage dept come and empy the fridge of the "mini bar" items so you can have it all for your personal use.

Just an FYI...insulin does not need to be kept refrigerated.

Archived