Question re: checking in luggage...?

patterson3

Once your luggage is checked into security can you leave the airport? For instance, we will be staying in Maui for 10 days and our return flight to the mainland departs Honolulu at 10:15 PM so we were hoping to take a Hawaiian Airlines inter-island flight early in the day and possibly spend the day in Honolulu (check out Pearl Harbor and/or Waikiki). Anyway, if we check in our luggage for the flight from Maui to Oahu at say 10:00AM, can we just leave our luggage with the airline all day and (presume) that it will be on our 10:15PM flight, or do we have to get our luggage from Hawaiian Airlines and than re-check it thru Delta when we return to the airport later that night? And if that's the case, any suggestions on what to do with our luggage for 10 or so hours?

Thanks for the help. And sorry for the long-winded post.

I don't know if all airports are the same, but usually they won't let you check in luggage more than four hours before your flight. You may want to go on there web site and check that out, it should say.

Well we will be flying from Maui to Honolulu, so I think that would be okay, I'm just not sure if they will allow us to leave the airport in Honolulu and return "X" amount of hours later without taking our luggage and than re-checking it in prior to our return flight to the mainland....

If you're on the same airline, you can check it through from Maui to your home destination. If you're on different airlines, you definitely cannot. You will have to pick up your luggage after your Maui-Oahu flight and then recheck it for your mainland flight. (You'll also have to go through the agricultural check in as well--Before you are allowed to check your luggage to the mainland. If checked through Maui to home, you'll do that in Kahului; if not checked through, you'll do that in Honolulu.) Airlines will not (maybe aren't allowed anymore; security regulations) to allow you to leave your luggage in the airport all day or check it that much earlier than your flight. I don't know where you might find luggage storage for the day because the airports had to remove the big lockers and such (also due to heightened security).

beachchick

If you're on the same airline, you can check it through from Maui to your home destination. If you're on different airlines, you definitely cannot. You will have to pick up your luggage after your Maui-Oahu flight and then recheck it for your mainland flight. (You'll also have to go through the agricultural check in as well--Before you are allowed to check your luggage to the mainland. If checked through Maui to home, you'll do that in Kahului; if not checked through, you'll do that in Honolulu.) Airlines will not (maybe aren't allowed anymore; security regulations) to allow you to leave your luggage in the airport all day or check it that much earlier than your flight. I don't know where you might find luggage storage for the day because the airports had to remove the big lockers and such (also due to heightened security).

beachchick

Thanks for the response Beachchick. I had heard that Hawaiian Airlines have an agreement with most of the bigger carriers where they might transfer your luggage to the appropriate airline and vice versa? Because when we are leaving out of Boston (via Delta) to Honolulu I was told that when I check in my luggage if I tell em I am subsequently flying onto Maui they might take care of the transfer for us...? I hope that's the case because it'll save us the trouble of retreiving our luggage and than immediately re-checking it back in, but I guess I can understand if the airlines wouldn't be willing to do that.....?

I would definitely check with Hawaiian Airlines to see if Delta is partner airline. The number for Hawaiian Airlines is 1-800-367-5320. I just don't think you will be able to have it checked through. And you can't pre-check-in luggage till 4 hours prior to flight times. So many things have changed since 09/11. And in Hawaii, agricultural inspection is one of the many hoops to jump through before departure.

Archived