Is Carnival Taking Over the Cruise Industry?

bunny1954

My guess is that RCCL is just trying to shop one of thier smaller brands to come up with some cash to offset the shopping malls that they are building.:D

You may be on to something with that idea.

Doc

What's the credibility of the publication running this story? I'm not bashing, just wondering if this is a credible story.

After saying GM would never go bankrupt, I've learned to never say never. However, it would seem such a consolidation would be very unlikely. There is so much similarity between the brands that it's hard to see the upside. I don't know the financials, but I would bet that RCCL is pretty heavily leveraged with the mega liners that they've sailed recently. In addition, I don't think that the consumer has much to worry about. A monopoly is only a bad thing when there can be scarcity of a resource. Scarcity to is difficult to achieve with the current level of occupancy at sea. In order for a cruise line to make money they need people on those ships.

On Monday, an article appeared on Dailycruisenews (a publication aimed at TA's not to be confused with Cruise News Daily) and then was subsequently pulled on Tuesday. Don't know if this second publication picked up the first story based on rumors and ran with it or has other sources. Googled the topic and nothing in the news about it.

While I think taking over the company itself is a bad thing, getting some of those classy ships would be a GOOD thing, except the next two!

How hard would it be to take off that Crown and stick on a funnel.

Didn't they do that once with an NCL ship?

carnivaldutchman8vi.jpg

Ha!! I LOVE this picture!!:D

I hope so! :D

It is always important to read the acticle sometimes. Carnival owning everything might not be a good thing for some people who cruise. For the people who sail multiple times a year, it probably would bother. For those of us who cruise one or even less a year, it might make a bigger difference.

Archived