Spirit class VS Conquest class

In the rather distant future (~2 years or hopefully less) I plan on taking a cruise to the Western Caribbean. Not totally sure what cruise line I will take since it's so far away, but I'm leaning towards Carnival because of their rates.

I had a question for you all that is open for discussion:

If given the exact same itinerary on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise, with a balcony room, which Carnival Cruise ship class is superior:

Spirit Class or Conquest Class?

I ask because it seems like those two classes are the ones that do most of the 7-day Caribbean cruises, with both doing very similar Western Caribbean itineraries.

I understand that the Conquest class is bigger than the Spirit class, obviously (110,000 GRT vs 88500 GRT).

If anyone has been on both classes and can list some pros and cons to each class, that would be fantastic! I'm talking lay out of the ship, dining room, public rooms, foyer, pool decks, upper decks, crowding, balcony rooms, atmosphere, etc.

Any constructive input would be very much appreciated! :D

Cheers,

the fake chicken

I've been on both Conquest class (Liberty) and Spirit class (Legend), so I can give you a few of the differences...

Spirit class -

- 1 main dining room

- No outdoor movie screen

- Not as many lounge chairs in the shade on the deck above the Lido deck...but there are comfy blue chairs in the shade up there.

- Much easier to get around the ship

-There didn't seem to be as much congestion near the public areas such as theaters, lounges.

- No fish and Chips station

Conquest class -

- 2 main dining rooms

- Outdoor movie screen

- Lounge chairs in shade on the deck above the Lido deck. The comfy blue chairs are down near the pool and can be used when watching outdoor movies

- Getting around the ship a bit trickier

- The public areas seemed crowded at times

- Has a fish and chips station (the fish and fried oysters are delicious!)

Interesting. The movie thing is not too big of a deal for me. In fact, it might be annoying if they show movies at night, because I like roaming the decks while the ship is out at sea at night. If there was some terrible action movie blaring (like Transformers), I'd be aggravated.

Azure_Moon,

If you were given the option between a 7-day Caribbean cruise on either ship and you could choose (independent of itinerary, let's say they are the same), which would you choose?

We've been on Miracle and Valor. I don't think Valor had the movie screen. I think it's just the newer ships...unless they added it recently :confused:

I vote for Spirit class...much easier to find your way around. After a week on the Valor, I was still getting lost...lol

It's really a matter of preference. The Conquest Class ships are big ships and feel like big ships -- i.e., more people and more crowding but more facilities. If you're looking for a more quiet experience with fewer passengers, more space and less noise on deck (by virtue of not having the MUTS screen), then go Spirit Class.

IMHO the Conquest Class ships are louder in terms of their decor -- everything is quite dramatic, lots of pulsating / color changing lights. The Spirit Class decor is more subdued (Carnival went for classy rather than loud/flashy Vegas style on the Spirit Class).

Having sailed a number of times on both classes of ships, I would always choose a Spirit Class ship over a Conquest Class if all other things are equal (price, itinerary, distance to the port, etc). Spirit Class is less crowded, easier to navigate, and with a classier decor. They also offer the best cabin arrangement in the Carnival fleet in the cat. 11 corner aft suites.

I have cruised on the Conquest and Spirit. Although I loved them both, if I had to choose, it would be the Spirit-class ships. I agree with the poster above, they are sleek, less crowded and easy to navigate. :)

Archived