Turbid water around ships at anchor

Earthworm Jim

Both times that I've been to Belize, I noticed muddy(?) water around the ships waiting at anchor there. What is that? Is it really mud, being stirred up from the bottom by the ship's thrusters? I'd guess that would be bad for the reefs in the area. Or, even worse, is it sewage from the ships discharged into the water? Presumably that would be even worse for the reefs.

I'm not at all sure what happens to sewage from a cruise ship. Do they just release it at sea or do they have to store it and discharge it into the treatment plant at a port?

Both times that I've been to Belize, I noticed muddy(?) water around the ships waiting at anchor there. What is that? Is it really mud, being stirred up from the bottom by the ship's thrusters? I'd guess that would be bad for the reefs in the area. Or, even worse, is it sewage from the ships discharged into the water? Presumably that would be even worse for the reefs.

I'm not at all sure what happens to sewage from a cruise ship. Do they just release it at sea or do they have to store it and discharge it into the treatment plant at a port?

We noticed this at departure. I believe that the water is very shallow there and the thrusters are stirring up the sand. The do not anchor over the reefs.

Archived