Amsterdam Canaletto Restaurant?

BillMD

Hello, everyone! I'd appreciate some advice on the Canaletto restaurant on the Amsterdam. Is the concept like the Pinnacle Grill where you have to make a reservation and a pay a bit extra? Is it worth it? My DW LOVES italian and it's her birthday while we cruise.

Hello, everyone! I'd appreciate some advice on the Canaletto restaurant on the Amsterdam. Is the concept like the Pinnacle Grill where you have to make a reservation and a pay a bit extra? Is it worth it? My DW LOVES italian and it's her birthday while we cruise.
It is free (i.e., included in your fare), and only open for dinner. Reservations are suggested, but you may be able to walk-in if you go early or late enough.

See this post for a menu on the Veendam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20207154&highlight=canaletto+menu#post20207154

Originally there were seven different menus published for use in the Canalettos, but I have not yet discovered if all ships are using the same menu at the same time, or if they have now settled on a single fixed menu for all ships, or what!! :D :D

Tried it on Eurodam last summer and it was a nice experience! Not the same as the PG re: decor, mind you, but still nice. Food was good. Stewards are dressed in Venetian gondola driver uniforms. Give it a try!

Thanks for your reply! How do you make reservations before boarding?
You can't! :) Just go there soon after boarding. Most people on the ship (being non-CC readers) won't even know it's there for a couple of days! :)

We enjoyed Canaletto very much on the Amsterdam last week. Food was good and service was fantastic. We were able to get same day reservations on both days that we ate there. Let them know it's your wife's birthday and I'm sure they would do something special.

The menu we had was the same as the one posted earlier for the Veendam. They told us it is the same every night. The tiramisu especially is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the cruise! I'm jealous. I was trying to get onboard the Amsterdam but everything is sold out and I wouldn't know where to look to ask someone if I can just share the room at night. I would totally chip in towards the people the let me depending on the price, that's how much I want on. :(

Anyhow, I actually cruised on this ship in June and had a blast. I made friends with one of the crew members who takes reservations for the Canaletto. They usually take reservations every morning until around noon. The earlier you get to the reservation desk on the Lido deck (I think it's by the midship elevators?) the more options you will have for sitting times. The crew member I know is named Yudhi. If you see him, tell him Amy says hi!

Archived