Edinburg question

Hi. Just returned from London today after the July 19th Crown Princess cruise. Ok, about Edinburgh, yes Princess does put on a shuttle and it is indeed 5 GBP a person each way.There was quite a line formed when we got off the tender. However there were many taxi's there and were offering a cab ride for $20 flat rate to compete with Princess. We just asked another couple if they wanted to share and so it worked out to be the same price but we got to leave right away instead of lining up and waiting for the shuttles. Plus the driver dropped my daughter and I off at the top whhere the castle is, and the other couple down on Princes Street where they wanted to be. Unfortunately, I never asked where the shuttle dropped off and picked up in Edinburgh, so we couldn't take the shuttle back. We did take a taxi back but this time it was more in line with the regular charges, 26 GBP. All the same it worked out fine. If you want to take a taxi in, atleast ask where the pick up spot is in case you want to return on the shuttle. We started at the castle and went down the Royal Mile then over to Princes Street for a while. If you want to tour the castle, and avoid long lines to buy tickets, I suggest ( as someone suggested in another post) that you buy your tickets on line before you go. The line up was about 1 1/2 hrs long to buy tickets. Saved us a good deal of time. When we were there there was a lot of construction going on on Princes Street and a good deal of it was closed to traffic. The weather called for rain most of the time we were there but we were lucky and only had a sprinkle here and there, except for going into Wales on an excursion. That day it poured rain all the way on the bus but stopped as we got to our destination. Very lucky. The best advice I can give , is plan to dress in layers as the climate seems to change often. pj

The best advice I can give , is plan to dress in layers as the climate seems to change often. pj

Good advice all the way. The joys of the climate we experience in these glorious islands :)

A wee fold away brolly is worth taking with you too.

Good advice all the way. The joys of the climate we experience in these glorious islands :)

A wee fold away brolly is worth taking with you too.

Thanks camNaud, I forgot to mention the umbrella. We did have a really lightweight fold-up umbrella at all times. However I will say that I think a hooded rain jacket might fare better since most of the places we went, the wind was quite strong, Often too strong to use an umbrella. I don't know if it is always that windy, pj

pj, I'm also interested in any and all information you can provide on shuttles. I booked very late (last week) and will be on Holland America arriving August 13th & 14th. We have absolutely nothing planned and most tours are waitlisted. My email is fly2vegas@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Hi, I don't know if Holland America provides a shuttle service, but don't worry, there are so many taxi's you shouldn't have trouble. Try to arrange to share one with someone that you meet and that'll work out fine. If you read through the boards, you can get names of private tour companies that a lot of people use, or if you have a roll call - go on it and see if anyone if offering to sahre a tour. Failing that, just go into Edinburgh and enjoy yourself.pj

Hi. Just returned from London today after the July 19th Crown Princess cruise. Ok, about Edinburgh, yes Princess does put on a shuttle and it is indeed 5 GBP a person each way.There was quite a line formed when we got off the tender. However there were many taxi's there and were offering a cab ride for $20 flat rate to compete with Princess. We just asked another couple if they wanted to share and so it worked out to be the same price but we got to leave right away instead of lining up and waiting for the shuttles. Plus the driver dropped my daughter and I off at the top whhere the castle is, and the other couple down on Princes Street where they wanted to be. Unfortunately, I never asked where the shuttle dropped off and picked up in Edinburgh, so we couldn't take the shuttle back. We did take a taxi back but this time it was more in line with the regular charges, 26 GBP. All the same it worked out fine. If you want to take a taxi in, atleast ask where the pick up spot is in case you want to return on the shuttle. We started at the castle and went down the Royal Mile then over to Princes Street for a while. If you want to tour the castle, and avoid long lines to buy tickets, I suggest ( as someone suggested in another post) that you buy your tickets on line before you go. The line up was about 1 1/2 hrs long to buy tickets. Saved us a good deal of time. When we were there there was a lot of construction going on on Princes Street and a good deal of it was closed to traffic. The weather called for rain most of the time we were there but we were lucky and only had a sprinkle here and there, except for going into Wales on an excursion. That day it poured rain all the way on the bus but stopped as we got to our destination. Very lucky. The best advice I can give , is plan to dress in layers as the climate seems to change often. pj

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I now know exactly what to do. I'm sure some other couple will want to share a taxi into town and I will make sure I know where to catch the shuttle back to the ship. If DH needs to get back before then, then will just go ahead and pay the taxi fare. Thanks again and I hope you had a great cruise.

Kay and Bill

Hi, I don't know if Holland America provides a shuttle service, but don't worry, there are so many taxi's you shouldn't have trouble. Try to arrange to share one with someone that you meet and that'll work out fine. If you read through the boards, you can get names of private tour companies that a lot of people use, or if you have a roll call - go on it and see if anyone if offering to sahre a tour. Failing that, just go into Edinburgh and enjoy yourself.pj

pj, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm so lacking the spontanous gene! I have been on the roll call and all the private tours are full now. Sigh. We'll make the best of it.

pj, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm so lacking the spontanous gene! I have been on the roll call and all the private tours are full now. Sigh. We'll make the best of it.

Hi, if you tell me some of the ports you'll be visiting, maybe I can tell you what sort of things are close to the ship or what there is in the port towns. We often take afternoon tours and I go into the ports myself in the morning and look around. pj

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I now know exactly what to do. I'm sure some other couple will want to share a taxi into town and I will make sure I know where to catch the shuttle back to the ship. If DH needs to get back before then, then will just go ahead and pay the taxi fare. Thanks again and I hope you had a great cruise.

Kay and Bill

Hi Kayzie, The shuttle that Princess puts on, runs all day, so if you ask at Shore Excursions perhaps they'll be able to tell you, more or less, the time schedules. They don't just go in once a day. So that way you may be able to take the shuttle back when you've had enough. We would have, if I had thought to ask where the drop off/pick up spot was!! Anyway, have fun and enjoy Edinburgh, If you get a chance to take a ride into the Highlands, whether from Invergordon or Glasgow, the heather is just coming into bloom and if the sun is shining it is the most beautiful sight. It is beautiful anyway, but the sun does add something extra! :)pj

Thanks camNaud, I forgot to mention the umbrella. We did have a really lightweight fold-up umbrella at all times. However I will say that I think a hooded rain jacket might fare better since most of the places we went, the wind was quite strong, Often too strong to use an umbrella. I don't know if it is always that windy, pj

Thankfully the wind is not always too strong for umbrellas. I think most places in the UK average around 30 days per year with wind of at least gale force (40 mph plus) . Coastal areas and highland areas have higher averages.

Today it's a fine sunny day temp 71 F - the wind is blowing at nice steady 10mph with odd gust up to 20mph.

Thankfully the wind is not always too strong for umbrellas. I think most places in the UK average around 30 days per year with wind of at least gale force (40 mph plus) . Coastal areas and highland areas have higher averages.

Today it's a fine sunny day temp 71 F - the wind is blowing at nice steady 10mph with odd gust up to 20mph.

That weather sounds perfect, wish I was there again now! pj

Hi Kayzie, The shuttle that Princess puts on, runs all day, so if you ask at Shore Excursions perhaps they'll be able to tell you, more or less, the time schedules. They don't just go in once a day. So that way you may be able to take the shuttle back when you've had enough. We would have, if I had thought to ask where the drop off/pick up spot was!! Anyway, have fun and enjoy Edinburgh, If you get a chance to take a ride into the Highlands, whether from Invergordon or Glasgow, the heather is just coming into bloom and if the sun is shining it is the most beautiful sight. It is beautiful anyway, but the sun does add something extra! :)pj

Someone on CC mentioned that there is a taxi tour company at the end of the pier in Invergordon called taxitourexperience. If DH is up for it, I thought I would try to book a few hours taxi tour out to see some of the Scottish countryside. I'm looking forward to seeing Edinburgh city but have been longing to see the highlands too. Your description of the heather in bloom only made me want to do this more. Thank you again, pj

Hi, if you tell me some of the ports you'll be visiting, maybe I can tell you what sort of things are close to the ship or what there is in the port towns. We often take afternoon tours and I go into the ports myself in the morning and look around. pj

pj, We will arrive in Edinburgh 07:00am on Aug 13th departing 04:00pm on AUg 14th and arriving in Invergordon 07:00am on Aug 15th departing 02:00pm. WOuld like to see the heather if it is blooming?

pj, We will arrive in Edinburgh 07:00am on Aug 13th departing 04:00pm on AUg 14th and arriving in Invergordon 07:00am on Aug 15th departing 02:00pm. WOuld like to see the heather if it is blooming?

The heather should be in full bloom as it was just coming out in spots last week. We did a short excursion in the afternoon in Invergordon and in the morning I just walked from the ship into town ( right there) and all the way down the main street and back. I bought something in a bakery to take back to the ship. There were a lot of murals painted on walls in the town and that was quite interesting and they have a small museum which I didn't go to. There were volunteers set up right after you got off the dock, to tell you anything you might want to know about the town. Very little there but worth a walk through to see the murals. Some people were taking the local bus service into Inverness, and there were a few taxis available too. Actually more than a few.pj

• 3 weeks later...

Archived