Should we worry about giving a deposit for 2010

Having sailed on the Windsurf a couple years ago and loving every minute of the cruise, we are thinking of booking a 2/2010 cruise in the Caribbean on one of their ships. In these difficult times I know that all the cruise lines are experiencing hard times, but with the major lines I feel that you would not have to worry about them staying in business. On the other hand with Windstar Lines being sold to Ambassador in the last year or so, and reading that they maybe facing financial trouble I wonder if it's a good idea to put a deposit on a future cruise with them.

What do you Windstar cruisers think?

:confused:Shirley

We booked a few months ago for a cruise next week when things were looking very negative for Windstar, with bankruptcy a strong possiblity. Took out insurance (obviously not through Windstar) that included bankruptcy protection. Learned that in order for it to be valid, the insurance , at least in this case, must be paid no later than 10 days from the down payment, rather than when your final payment is due. So, I would suggest looking into this option before proceeding ahead.

We booked a few months ago for a cruise next week when things were looking very negative for Windstar, with bankruptcy a strong possiblity. Took out insurance (obviously not through Windstar) that included bankruptcy protection. Learned that in order for it to be valid, the insurance , at least in this case, must be paid no later than 10 days from the down payment, rather than when your final payment is due. So, I would suggest looking into this option before proceeding ahead.

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the case.

We always buy our insurance at the time of original booking because we want to make sure that medical pre-existing conditions were covered. Most insurance companies do not waive pre-existing conditions unless you purchase the insurance within 2-3 weeks of making the original booking.

Also, if Windstar does go out of business, as long as you have paid via credit card you have some protection.

Just another thing to consider.

We always buy our insurance at the time of original booking because we want to make sure that medical pre-existing conditions were covered. Most insurance companies do not waive pre-existing conditions unless you purchase the insurance within 2-3 weeks of making the original booking.

Also, if Windstar does go out of business, as long as you have paid via credit card you have some protection.

Just another thing to consider.

I thought maybe there would be some protection if we paid with a credit card such as amex.

Thanks for your imput.

Shirley

Archived