What happened to Galaxy in Jamaica 12-15?

Southwest

We were on the HAL Oosterdam docked in Jamaica on December 15, 2004 and saw the Celebrity Galaxy out in the ocean just circling around for hours and hours. At one point it came in pretty close and the harbor master went out to get on board, we thought it was coming in to dock at the harbour in Ocho Rios, but then the harbour master boat pulled away and the Galaxy went further out in the water and spent hours just doing large circles. We thought that she might be waiting for our slot at the pier, but when we pulled out, instead of her pulling in she sailed away. Something seemed very strange. Just curious what happened, anyone on the ship that week that can fill us in? Thanks.

I've been on several ships that did the same thing. The last was the Rhapsody this past October. It was explained to me that the ship would circle several times to reset or calibrate the navigation system, specifically the gyros. That might have been what was going on.

Reggie:D

Actually,

What happened is the ship was originally due to hit Montego Bay, but had to switch to Ocho Rios which left them to tendering. Where the ship had to tender from the ocean was just too rough. They kept hoping things would settle down, but they never did. With two days to sail back to Galveston they weren't in a rush to leave and give up.

The guests seemed to be very understanding.

Good morning:

Glad to hear all was ok on the cruise....

I remember a similar situation in Grand Cayman....rough seas and high winds. Folks on board were "less than understanding", despite attempts by the cruise staff to send tenders ashore, it was deemed unsafe and dangerous. The captain tried to explain to unhappy passengers that while this was a disappointing situation, it was one where safety was of the highest priority. I think there was some compensation provided and that lounges/bars did offer complimentary happy hour.

Bottom line: If a change is due to passenger safety concerns--- there should be no debate about the course of action. It is very generous of the cruise lines to provide compensation.

You didnt miss a thing in Jamaica.......sorry.....not a Jamaica fan and have been there several times. That was nice that they compensated you w/ the open bar. I would have opted for the bar over Jamaica!!! LOL When we were on Galaxy last Jan., we were stuck in the middle of the Carribean Sea b/c there was an empty dingy floating and according to Maritime Law...they have to make sure no one is on board. So.......we floated around for about 2 hours till all was cleared -- it was our sea day anyway!!!! People were worried that there was a "bomb" on it...but all was well!!!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. And so you know, our ship was at the dock, but the waves were so strong they were slamming into our ship and rocking us to high heaven. I've never had that happen in port, it was miserable. It pounded us all day, and aside from rocking, it made a horrible noise with each wave. I don't get seasick, but almost did that day at the dock! I agree that free drinks are a better option than Jamaica (don't like that port much), we only left the ship to escape the pounding waves otherwise we planned to treat it like a sea day. Tendering would have been way too dangerous with that surf, so you definately had a good deal floating amongs the free booze! Thanks to all who filled me in. Happy cruising.

Archived