Boarding early red eye flight,Red Hook port

Any suggestions on what to do after getting luggage at airport after getting off a red eye flight from west coast? We will arrive on a Saturday early am and probably can start boarding ship about 11am at the earliest. So we probably have at least 3-4 hours. What to do in between? Thanks.

Any suggestions on what to do after getting luggage at airport after getting off a red eye flight from west coast? We will arrive on a Saturday early am and probably can start boarding ship about 11am at the earliest. So we probably have at least 3-4 hours. What to do in between? Thanks.

What airport??? IF JFK, the following applies.

IF you are on the JetBlue nonstop to JFK out of PHX, don't plan on it landing on time. Average delay is 47 minutes, has been as much as 2+ hours. You probably won't have to worry about what to do-if the plane is late and by the time you find your luggage (which can be VERY slow at JFK on some days), 30 minute taxi ride to the port, you should be just about on time to check in luggage.

If you are on the US Air nonstop (which arrives about 5:00AM), you will generally arrive on time.

There really isn't much open that is walking distance from the port at that hour. You could go to the Fairway Supermarket after you drop off luggage. Otherwise, I have no other suggestions since you will have luggage unless you want to keep a taxi with you for luggage storage. Even the water taxi doesn't run until 10:00AM.

http://www.nyc.com/shop/fairway_market_red_hook.635812/editorial_review.aspx

:) please tell me more about the Fairway ..thanx

What airport??? IF JFK, the following applies.

IF you are on the JetBlue nonstop to JFK out of PHX, don't plan on it landing on time. Average delay is 47 minutes, has been as much as 2+ hours. You probably won't have to worry about what to do-if the plane is late and by the time you find your luggage (which can be VERY slow at JFK on some days), 30 minute taxi ride to the port, you should be just about on time to check in luggage.

If you are on the US Air nonstop (which arrives about 5:00AM), you will generally arrive on time.

There really isn't much open that is walking distance from the port at that hour. You could go to the Fairway Supermarket after you drop off luggage. Otherwise, I have no other suggestions since you will have luggage unless you want to keep a taxi with you for luggage storage. Even the water taxi doesn't run until 10:00AM.

http://www.nyc.com/shop/fairway_market_red_hook.635812/editorial_review.aspx

:) please tell me more about the Fairway ..thanx

It's a grocery store with a deli. Did you read the info in the link??? Even includes a phone number and map. Should give you most info you need.

I wish I had a way to post a picture I took almost 30 years ago. It shows one of my trucks backed into the very warehouse that is now the Fairway store looking out over the Bay. We used to load a lot of wine out of that warehouse many years ago.

It appears as though the overnight flights from Phoenix to New York City are Us Airways at 5:11 a.m., Delta Air Lines at 7:00 a.m., and JetBlue at 7:30 a.m.; I hope you're not on the Continental Airlines flight that arrives in Newark, N.J. at 6:08 a.m.

If you're looking the board the vessel as early as possible, you may not have all that much time between the arriving flight and the time you arrive at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. But there are two large stores near the terminal. One is Fairway supermarket; the other is IKEA. Fairway offers a large selection of groceries including a good number of unusual and specialty items. On Saturdays the store opens at 8:00 a.m. Unless you're burdened with heavy luggage you can walk between the store and the terminal without much difficulty. IKEA primarily sells furniture but also has an inexpensive restaurant and sells Swedish groceries. On Saturdays the restaurant opens at 9:30 a.m., the store at 10:00 a.m.

A little further away but still close by are some activities in downtown Brooklyn. There's a Farmers' Market at Brooklyn Borough Hall on Saturday mornings starting at 8:00 a.m. You might also get some more ideas from Brooklyn's tourism website, www.visitbrooklyn.org.

besides the deli at Fairway in the back is the best view of New York Harbor at the Fairway cafe. grab a cup of coffee, get something to eat and sit outside(under a awning) and watch the Harbor go by.

The coffee is $1.00 and the breakfast is ok and inexpensive.

Ikea has a .99 cents breakfast special at their restuarant(serviced until 11 am only) in their restuarant that over looks the harbor and the Statue of Liberty.

http://www.fairwaymarkets.com

Ikea is on the site of a former shipyard and the paking area and shoreside they built does homage to its natical past.

1945967854_Copy(2)ofIMG_4257.jpg.59f095a2a1af8f87c162af9e5b708dc6.jpg

Im assuming your taking a taxi from the airport to the Red Hook terminal. There is nothing really near the terminal, its mostly an industrial area, not the best of neighborhoods. Grab something to eat at the airport anyway. Head to Red Hook and wait to check in!

Im assuming your taking a taxi from the airport to the Red Hook terminal. There is nothing really near the terminal, its mostly an industrial area, not the best of neighborhoods. Grab something to eat at the airport anyway. Head to Red Hook and wait to check in!

I would agree with that in part. There's really not much around the area. The immediate vicinity is a combination of industrial and residential, where the residential part might be best described as a gentrifying urban frontier. If you like exploring in this type of urban environment--one that is a bit rag-tag, some cobblestone streets, no real dressing up--then you could probably wander around the local streets for some time. But if you're seeking something more organized, something more in line with the tourist guides, then there really is not much here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips, I have been to Red Hook previously, but stayed overnight and went to the cruise ship terminal at normal check in time.:)

Just thought I might be able to rent a day room, etc. Or?? Obviously if my flight is late coming in I won't need to worry about getting to the cruise ship terminal too early.

Yes, of course we will have luggage, it is a cruise.:)

So maybe I will go to an airport area hotel, check my luggage with the bellman and eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant???

Any other ideas out there. Thanks in advance.

Archived