Are all Carnival ships this dangerous ???

BeachyLisa

Exactly. Like I explained in that other post, how many people watch AFV. Gee, it's been on TV over 20 years.

And although rare, anytime I've ever fallen anywhere, I don't know who been trying trying not to pee themselves more....me or the people around me.

Different story if something serious happened, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20039255&postcount=22

Going back through the history of film and television (and let's even go back to vaudeville and of course even further back to clowns at the circus), falling down has always been one of the biggest laugh generators. It's funny, and anyone who says they haven't laughed is full of it. Someone being injured is not funny, but the simple act of tripping and falling IS funny-don't know why, it just is.

I tripped and fell big time in Paris in front of the whole world. It wasn't a trip-oops-fall type of deal. More like a Dick Van Dyke show fall and SPLAT. I broke my wrist. Didn't stop my daughter and friend from laughing. They laughed for days about it. I admit that got old, but even I laughed when it happened. Then said "OUCH!!!!"

Exactly. Like I explained in that other post, how many people watch AFV. Gee, it's been on TV over 20 years.

And although rare, anytime I've ever fallen anywhere, I don't know who been trying trying not to pee themselves more....me or the people around me.

Different story if something serious happened, though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20039255&postcount=22

I would have to agree people falling is funny, in fact isn't there a tv show thats been on for years because people getting in clumsy or bad situations IS funny? AFHV still got it going on:D

Going back through the history of film and television (and let's even go back to vaudeville and of course even further back to clowns at the circus), falling down has always been one of the biggest laugh generators. It's funny, and anyone who says they haven't laughed is full of it. Someone being injured is not funny, but the simple act of tripping and falling IS funny-don't know why, it just is.

I tripped and fell big time in Paris in front of the whole world. It wasn't a trip-oops-fall type of deal. More like a Dick Van Dyke show fall and SPLAT. I broke my wrist. Didn't stop my daughter and friend from laughing. They laughed for days about it. I admit that got old, but even I laughed when it happened. Then said "OUCH!!!!"

I believe it's call the "Prat Fall" or something like that. Chevy Chase used to do it all the time on Saturday night live. I think he started doing it aft the whole Gerald Ford falling all the time thing.

I'm one of those people who always walks very gingerly at the slightest hint of a slippery floor so I'm not happy to hear that the Pride has some slipping issues since I'll be on it next month. I avoid the pool deck whenever necessary and will go up or down a deck and walk across the carpeted floors to avoid walking across the pool deck to get to another location of that deck. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing this but as someone who has slipped one too many times it's worth it to me. I must admit that I am usually wearing flip flops when I'm just walking around the ship, but I have bought some water shoes that might be better for me on the pool deck.

I'm one of those people who always walks very gingerly at the slightest hint of a slippery floor so I'm not happy to hear that the Pride has some slipping issues since I'll be on it next month. I avoid the pool deck whenever necessary and will go up or down a deck and walk across the carpeted floors to avoid walking across the pool deck to get to another location of that deck. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing this but as someone who has slipped one too many times it's worth it to me. I must admit that I am usually wearing flip flops when I'm just walking around the ship, but I have bought some water shoes that might be better for me on the pool deck.

Your not "crazy" at all - just being sensible.

Now the guy in this video is being absolutely crazy. He "slipped" all the way into the pool.:rolleyes:

(I sure hope the cruise line saw this and took the appropriate action)

We were on the PRIDE in 2003 and saw the same thing. People were slipping right outside the pool, and along the side where the tables were. Didn't see this problem on other cruises. They obviously know it's a problem if they have staff using a squeegee (didn't help much though).

yeah, that would have been ME! And I WAS being careful! Now I wear my swim shoes whenever I am on the Lido deck. I look like a goober, but I don't fall...:rolleyes:

People slip, fall and break their necks everyday in bathtubs. Same principle. A little common sense goes a long way.

That's why they sell bath mats;)

Not to mention the mold and everything else that builds up on the "non-skid" surfaces.

AND the fact that people would then be complaining about the "uncomfortable flooring" around the area where people are barefoot.

I have a non slip surface around my pool at home.......never had mold and it is comfortable on the feet........people we live in 2009......... it is amazing the products that are on the market today.......

And I might mention 2 other cruislines I have been on.....no mold and nice on the feet too.........

My only comment on this topic is....."FLIP FLOPS" and water is usually an accident looking for a place to happen....;);)

I'm not a fan of flip-flops (never have been), but I've just discovered how comfortable Crocs are.....are they good or bad for traction on wet decks? Anyone know?

I'm always very, very careful around the pool areas. And I don't wear flip-flops.

I've had no problems with slipping on any ships other than the Fantasy-class ships. Maybe that's just a coincidence, but I've slipped and also seen people fall, in the same area (next the buffet line) on that class ship.

I slipped badly on Elation walking from the pool area to go inside the buffet area. Wrenched my back so badly I could do nothing but lie around. Luckily, it was a sea day, and with the help of lots of Motrin, I was improved enough that I was able to get out and about the next day in port, but my low back was tender for days.

I try to avoid the wet deck areas whenever possible. Since I don't "do" ship pools, and lie out in the sun away from the pool(s), I can usually avoid the worst of it.

I do cringe when I see small kids climb out of the pool and go running off. I'm so afraid one of them is going to slip and crack his/her head open. And then, of course, it will be Carnival's fault. :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of flip-flops (never have been), but I've just discovered how comfortable Crocs are.....are they good or bad for traction on wet decks? Anyone know?

IMHO, Crocs, as they are plastic, are a fall waiting to happen. Of course, when I tried a pair on in a shoe store a couple of years ago, I could not stand them for even 30 seconds. And that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice creams.

For non-skid shoes (or as close as one can get) deck shoes or deck treaded flip flops are the best you can get. I especially like my newer pair of Topside flip-flops that have tread on both the top surface and the bottom. They stick to a wet foot like they are glued there and they stick to slippery tile better than anything I have found. We have very slick tile in our foyer and that is why I wear those flip-flops when I am wandering around the house.

Doc

I love my crocs but found out how little traction they have when I tried walking over wet tiles. I've not tried them on a wet deck type surface. Then I bought a new pair and when comparing the bottoms they do have slightly more tread. I'll have to "slip test" them somewhere ahead of time, but I'm guessing that the deck won't be the best place to wear them. Might have to save them for ports. More comfortable then flip flops yet great for the beach.

I love my crocs but found out how little traction they have when I tried walking over wet tiles. I've not tried them on a wet deck type surface. Then I bought a new pair and when comparing the bottoms they do have slightly more tread. I'll have to "slip test" them somewhere ahead of time, but I'm guessing that the deck won't be the best place to wear them. Might have to save them for ports. More comfortable then flip flops yet great for the beach.

I have always gotten awful blisters where the flip-flop between-the-toes-thingy rubs, so I haven't worn flip-flops since 1967. I never even tried on Crocs until a couple of weeks ago, when I was out shopping with my son and foster granddaughter for an upcoming trip to Walt Disney World. We went into a Crocs store and since I had more than plenty of time to kill, I tried them on. For something so butt-ugly and that looks so uncomfortable....I wound up buying 2 pair.

I always try to be uber-careful walking on the Lido Deck. If there is a slick spot, it will find me. Heck, I can twist my ankle walking to the mail box. Like cruise82, I always walk very gingerly on Lido Deck!!!

I have a non slip surface around my pool at home.......never had mold and it is comfortable on the feet........people we live in 2009......... it is amazing the products that are on the market today.......

And I might mention 2 other cruislines I have been on.....no mold and nice on the feet too.........

Some cruiselines may or may not know about these materials. The CDC still has a requirement in the Vessel Sanitation Program Manual that if deck materials are non-skid, they must be easy to clean.

7.7.4.1.2 Decks may be of nonskid

construction provided they are

easily cleanable.

Pg 105 http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2005.pdf

Been on the Legend and Miracle and have seen big time slipping going on on both. If you look at the photo below you can see a thin tile walkway where the shower sits. This surface is not too slippery but it gets really hot. The area outside of that walkway doesn't get quite as hot but it gets really slippery. What happens is you get out of the pool and the tile burns your feet so you rush to get off it and that first step on the other surface can be quite a slippery one.

We watched easily 10 kids and one adult that looks exactly like me go flying into the chairs on the last Legend cruise. You just have to pay attention when stepping on to the different surface ...... or you can do it 3 times in one day like the guy who looks just like me did.

106073006_ef97ff8dd3_o.jpg

I watched a lot of people slip on the Triumph a few weeks ago. Kids and adults alike. I never slipped but then again I HAD been drinking so I could make up for the rocking of the ship :D

My young kids never slipped and I don't let them drink (4 & 8).

They really should have some kind of non slip surface just outside the pool. It really was amusing to watch people "dance" after exiting!

The thing is, the ships weren't built in 2009, and the contracts on the materials were probably granted a two full years before the ship, itself, was ready to be delivered, which, if I recall correctly, was 2001 in the case of the Pride. So, materials were chosen at least ten years ago, when there was not the full range of options available now.

I don't know what it would cost to refinish the whole area during a dry dock, but I have to think that to retrofit a lot of things, to change out transition materials and such, it would likely be quite expensive, and time consuming.

Honestly, I don't go into the pools on ships, so my experience is pretty limited. I walk across the Lido deck, usually, because it is a nicer route than through the halls of the cabins and then up to the spa.

I suppose my feeling, though, throughout the thread, was colored by some people mentioning "suing" a couple of times. Sure, if materials are available to help people be safer, as well as equally comfortable, it would be *nice* if the company provided them. There are always latest and greatest ways to do things, but sometimes they aren't available, or the cost is prohibitive, or something. But, to those who suggest that a company should be sued because they aren't willing to take the care to walk carefully, or to use shoes that have better traction, and then suggest that a company be sued for not providing us with whatever it is we feel we want... well, that bothers me. IMO, we need to use some common sense here, too.

Been on the Legend and Miracle and have seen big time slipping going on on both. If you look at the photo below you can see a thin tile walkway where the shower sits. This surface is not too slippery but it gets really hot. The area outside of that walkway doesn't get quite as hot but it gets really slippery. What happens is you get out of the pool and the tile burns your feet so you rush to get off it and that first step on the other surface can be quite a slippery one.

We watched easily 10 kids and one adult that looks exactly like me go flying into the chairs on the last Legend cruise. You just have to pay attention when stepping on to the different surface ...... or you can do it 3 times in one day like the guy who looks just like me did.

106073006_ef97ff8dd3_o.jpg

While on the Legend, my husband and I were eating and listening to the live music near the pool. A young lady carrying a plateful of food slipped and fell right next to us. It happened so fast! Luckily she didn't seem to be injured, just a bit shocked and embarrassed.

I haven't considered going on the newest Carnival ship(s) yet so haven't looked at any pictures of them. I hope after seeing and hearing of so many slips and falls in their pool areas, the cruiseline has given another type of flooring a try on the newer ships.

Yes, cruisers have a responsibility for being careful and wearing shoes that make walking on slippery areas safer, but the cruiseline can also work towards making the areas near the pools safer on their vessels.

The thing is, the ships weren't built in 2009, and the contracts on the materials were probably granted a two full years before the ship, itself, was ready to be delivered, which, if I recall correctly, was 2001 in the case of the Pride. So, materials were chosen at least ten years ago, when there was not the full range of options available now.

I don't know what it would cost to refinish the whole area during a dry dock, but I have to think that to retrofit a lot of things, to change out transition materials and such, it would likely be quite expensive, and time consuming.

Honestly, I don't go into the pools on ships, so my experience is pretty limited. I walk across the Lido deck, usually, because it is a nicer route than through the halls of the cabins and then up to the spa.

I suppose my feeling, though, throughout the thread, was colored by some people mentioning "suing" a couple of times. Sure, if materials are available to help people be safer, as well as equally comfortable, it would be *nice* if the company provided them. There are always latest and greatest ways to do things, but sometimes they aren't available, or the cost is prohibitive, or something. But, to those who suggest that a company should be sued because they aren't willing to take the care to walk carefully, or to use shoes that have better traction, and then suggest that a company be sued for not providing us with whatever it is we feel we want... well, that bothers me. IMO, we need to use some common sense here, too.

I have been on 2 other cruiselines that had non slip decks.......one ship I was on is at least 10 years old or more..........

On our Elation cruise where we saw a child fall and get badly hurt, I have a feeling that there might have been a lawsuit to follow.......

Kids were tumbling all over that deck next to the slide. Me and my dh and several other people kept mentioning it to the crew members. Especially the crew member guarding the slide......they just kept saying they would take care of it.......nope not until this last child was hurt......did they put down rubber mats......

An officer came down and questioned all of us regarding this...... took our names etc........so I am assuming the mother threaten them.......and I don't blame her......

We believe the child broke his arm.....

I think the decks are more slippery now than in the past because of those spray tanning lotions. The excess mist goes all over the floor.

Walking thru the poolside tables you'll notice slippery spots and the floor is dry. It's probably because someone sprayed their child while they stood next to the table.

Archived