Livorno Canals

Dorset Cruiser

Has anyone been on a boat trip on the Livorno Canals?

If so, did you have to book it in advance or can you just turn up and get a boat, as you do in Venice.

Been in Livorno many, many times. Have seen the canals. Have not ridden them. Have been to Venice also. Do NOT expect the canals in Livorno to be anything like the canals in Venice - they are not!

Been in Livorno many, many times. Have seen the canals. Have not ridden them. Have been to Venice also. Do NOT expect the canals in Livorno to be anything like the canals in Venice - they are not!

No I know that as I have been to both places on several occasions:) We just wanted to find something to do in Livorno as we have been to Pisa and Florence several times. We had thought about trying to get to Lucca or San Gimi but it looks like both places are not that easily accessible although they are do-able I think. We have walked along the canals and I just wondered if they did any trips. Two companies on the internet but it read to me that you had to do a block booking in advance.

No I know that as I have been to both places on several occasions:) We just wanted to find something to do in Livorno as we have been to Pisa and Florence several times. We had thought about trying to get to Lucca or San Gimi but it looks like both places are not that easily accessible although they are do-able I think. We have walked along the canals and I just wondered if they did any trips. Two companies on the internet but it read to me that you had to do a block booking in advance.

There are many pleasant places to visit. Lucca, of course... or north of there in the lovely Alpi Apuane are two of many.

Lucca is easy! Just take a train to Livorno. Change trains in Pisa. Go to Lucca.

On the way back, just reverse the process. You might want to check my train site (sig line below).

And if the trains are on strike, like they were the day we were in Livorno, you can also take the train to Pisa (those seem to still run) and then a bus to Lucca and reverse on the way back.

On thing about train strikes in Italy. They are almost always targeted to a specific run (itinerary or train number). Sometimes they branch out a bit and go regional. National ones are few and far between.

Archived