What to do in Oslo?

I will be in Oslo from 7am until 2 pm. I would like to go to the Old Town, Vigelandsparken, and the Much Museum. Is that realistic? If so, what is the best transportation? Will I need Norweigen currency?

Alphie

From my original response:

You could definitely do Vigelandsparken and the Munch Museum in that time, even though they're on opposite sides of town, since you don't have to wait for Vigelands to open in the morning. The easiest way to travel between them would be to take the subway from Majorstuen to Toyen.

Old Town usually refers to Gamlebyen (literally "old town"), which is the area where the city was first built. The city burned and was rebuilt in its current location around Akershus in the 1600s. These days, there isn't a lot to see in Gamlebyen. There is a park around some of the medeival ruins, but there isn't a lot of signage or information. Unfortunately it might be difficult to squeeze into your day as it's at the eastern edge of downtown and is really only accessible by a few trams and buses.

We will be in Oslo for the day and want to do a couple of the viking museums, Vigeland Park and Akershus castle. I think it's best to buy a 24 hour Oslo card for entrance and transportation. My question is would it be better to order it online and pay and then have a voucher to present or just wait until be exit the boat to buy it? Thanks for your help!

jkw2765,

Another poster has said you get a 20% discount if you buy it at the pier when you get off the ship.

I was originally going to purchase it on-line also, but then decided 20% discount was worth waiting to purchase it there.

Have a great trip!

jkw2765,

Another poster has said you get a 20% discount if you buy it at the pier when you get off the ship.

I was originally going to purchase it on-line also, but then decided 20% discount was worth waiting to purchase it there.

Have a great trip!

Very true. Meg wrote to them on our behalf. I have a copy of their response to her, if you'd also like a copy of it. We found that you will most likely need a copy to convince them to give you the discount.

I had also typed a response here about the pre-ordering. I guess an hour or so ago, but it looks like it never posted. Shipmates who pre-paid the card and had a voucher saved only a few minutes over those of us who bought there. They still had to take a numbered ticket and queue for service with the rest of us.

Bigwally,

If they are not freely giving the discount, then I might be best paying ahead of time and not worrying about the money and exchange. What do you think? You were also the one who posted about the upgrade at the Marriott. What do they serve for breakfast? Thanks for your help.

I'd personally go for the discount thing and pay with a credit card. Are you of, errm, "advanced age"? Seniors 67 and older qualify for the discounted rate as well.

I posted back in on that other thread what my recollections of the Marriott's continental breakfast were.

Bigwally,

I saw your other post. Thanks for the info on that. I think we will try to upgrade, if possible.

No, I am not of age, but my parents are and they are traveling with us. Thanks for all your help!

Very true. Meg wrote to them on our behalf. I have a copy of their response to her, if you'd also like a copy of it. We found that you will most likely need a copy to convince them to give you the discount.

They ended up giving you a tough time?! That's unfortunate! But I'm glad you got the discount in the end! Did you go to the Tourist Info near the central station?

If they are not freely giving the discount, then I might be best paying ahead of time and not worrying about the money and exchange. What do you think?

Most reports from past cruisers who bought their OsloPass at the tourist info right by the cruise pier have said that they discount was pretty much automatic. In bigwally's case, they docked at a less-used pier, and we weren't sure whether they would offer it at the other locations downtown, so we e-mailed the tourism office (the letter mentioned by bigwally), who said that you should still able to get the discount at all the locations if you showed your cruise card.

I think it's definitely worth waiting to buy it there. There's no discount at all for buying an OsloPass online ahead of time, and I don't think you save much time picking it up even if it's prepaid. When you buy it here in Oslo, they take credit cards, so you can even use the same card you would have used to buy it online.

-Meg

• 3 weeks later...
They ended up giving you a tough time?! That's unfortunate! But I'm glad you got the discount in the end! Did you go to the Tourist Info near the central station?

Yes, we did go to the one by the station.

With respect to visiting the Munch Museum.....I was actually more impressed with the Munch works on display in the National Gallery. Considering that it's free to visit, and in the center of town, I think it's the better choice for people with only a limited amount of time.

Yes, we did go to the one by the station.

With respect to visiting the Munch Museum.....I was actually more impressed with the Munch works on display in the National Gallery. Considering that it's free to visit, and in the center of town, I think it's the better choice for people with only a limited amount of time.

If you DO have the time and enjoy Munch's quirky style, the Munch Museum is very worthwhile. It has a far larger selection of his work than the National Gallery (from small to enormous) as you would expect from a dedicated museum, it's free with the Oslo Pass, and it's only a 5 minute walk from the Tøyen T-bane subway station (also covered by the Oslo Pass).

Les

If you DO have the time and enjoy Munch's quirky style, the Munch Museum is very worthwhile. It has a far larger selection of his work than the National Gallery (from small to enormous) as you would expect from a dedicated museum, it's free with the Oslo Pass, and it's only a 5 minute walk from the Tøyen T-bane subway station (also covered by the Oslo Pass).

Les

Quantity over quality, IMHO. I think the collection at the National Gallery, small though it may be, has better peices.

Archived